Used 2004 Acura TSX Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura TSX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TSX model:

Love my TSX
By rcush10

2004 Acura TSX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. I bought it used with 110k miles on it mid 2010 for $10k. It came uniquely equipped with a trunk lid spoiler and a front body air dam giving it a little extra style. It is quick and the 6-speed manual is slick. I have put 50k miles on it and I get 27-28 mpg consistently. Despite my admiration for the car, I have had to put a little $ into it. The starter died a couple weeks after I bought it. It consumes oil fairly quickly. 1 headlight was very foggy. The backlight behind my dash buttons doesn't work. Drivers side seat heater doesn't work. At 50+ mph, something rattles somewhere under the middle of the car. I think it is a part of the exhaust system.

Excellent sound system. 6 speed transmission. Beautiful styling inside and out. Ahead of its time for 2004. Sporty and fun to drive. Respectable MPG/performance ratio. Long list of nice features and styling touches.

I think this box is only relevant to new cars...

Great car; but oil burning issue is SERIOUS
By gipmeister

2004 Acura TSX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have enjoyed this car very much and it is generally very reliable. However, there are issues with this year/model that are common to many owners: - the door lock actuators die - the a/c system can die prematurely - the clutch in the 6MT dies early - the car will begin to burn oil My car with >130k now burns about a quart every 1-1.5k miles. If not regularly monitored (before the oil light comes on when you're down 2qts) Other people have had the console lights die and the dealer fix is hundreds of dollars. I STILL give the car a decent review, but I would not advise someone to buy an '04 used because of this.

Extra lighter/12V jack in console. Fold down armrest/drink holder btwn back seats (my kids love it)

Great Car
By nas2688

2004 Acura TSX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Bought my car in May 2011 with only 50k, one year later it's at 70k, and I still like it as much as the day I bought it! It's very comfortable on long road trips, has a good amount of power for a 4-cylinder (the manual is a blast!) and I've even got 33 mpg on the highway with it. Good build quality- the only exception being a some very small buzzing/rattling, but even then it's only on I-5 which is terrible and bumpy anyways. The car is over 8 years old, and the only "repair" I've had to make is to get new tires. It does consume oil, not leaking or burning, but as long as I top up every once in a while its not a problem. Overall, a great-looking, comfortable, and FUN car to drive!

Good mileage, peppy engine when VTEC kicks in, very nice-quality interior, and I'm a big fan of the 6-speed.

I'm not a huge fan of actually unlocking the back seats with a key before folding them down. But I suppose that if that is the most annoying thing, over all it must be a good car! Also, like I mentioned above, it goes through oil quicker than I would have expected.

OMG I love this Car!!!!!
By Margie

2004 Acura TSX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I located this wonderful vehicle that is 6 years old and only had 39,000 miles. I must say this is one of the best I've ever driven. The only thing I would chang is I can't hook up my I pod when I'm in the car. It is soooooo much fun , quick and very intuitive.

It's very comfy, the shifting is superb.

Need a way to hotwire my Ipod into the car. Also the paint is not the best.

Not typical reliability
By sledin_biker

2004 Acura TSX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Although this is my 4th Honda product, this one does not match the reliability of the others. Overall this is a great car to drive but the list of serious problems with this car is very un-Honda like. I have replaced my entire A/C system ($2,200), radio unit (warranty), stains from the inside out on the seats, tail light recall, but most concerning is the oil consumption. My car consumes (not leaks) 1 L (~1qt) of oil every 1000 km (600 miles), and I have found similar stories on forums. I don't drive it hard, in fact I baby the car and rarely engage VTEC, it would be easier to understand if I abused the vehicle. This is my first vehicle to actually consume oil.

6 speed manual, and handling

Perhaps this is one "first year production run" that I should have avoided.