Best Sport Wagon available
By manualwagonfan on
2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon 4dr Wagon w/Technology Package (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
As an 18 year Saab owner, I spent close to a year looking for a replacement to our '04 Saab Aero Wagon (w/manual trans). I knew nothing about Acura prior to seeing a TSX Wagon drive by and thinking the exterior styling looked terrific. One test drive and I was hooked. The car handles quite well. As others have said, the 5 speed auto is average at best, but I have not had any major issue with it. The cargo space is good, although smaller than the Saab, it is huge in comparison to the Cadillac CTS Wagon. Bottom line, fully loaded it is $10 - $20K less than the Volvo, Cadillac & Audi wagons. I don't need AWD and love getting 32+ mpg hwy with 26+ mpg combined city/hwy.
Favorite Features
I like the technology package upgrades and after taking a little time to learn the many features, I now find everything very intuitive. The voice-recognition is great. Although at first I thought it only a novelty, I now love that each key fob saves all the preferences (radio presets, seat and mirror adjustments) of that driver. My wife loves the power tail gate.
Suggested Improvements
A manual transmission would make this car close to perfect. Short of that, a 6 speed auto would improve the ride. I'd like to see additional engine options in the future, maybe a turbo charged 4 cylinder. The radio/nav/phone controls in the center console are a bit overwhelming at first. I'd like to see that laid out a bit better with a slightly larger display for the a/c temp, radio station and time. As I stated above, once used to it, it becomes fairly intuitive.
By manualwagonfan
on 03/06/14 13:58 PM (PST)

Here's an update after almost 2 years of ownership and the answers to chrisvt2's question: We have travelled on several 5 hour+ trips with the Acura and have found it extremely comfortable. No complaints in that dept. The only drawback continues to be the automatic transmission. I don't like the way it has to drop into 4th gear on any hill on the highway. I've definitely gotten used to it, but it is a disappointment. Other than that, we have really enjoyed this car. Everything still feels new on the car. I still get 30+ mpg on the highway and our combined mpg for the last 16K miles has been around 24. To be honest, I kept the '04 Saab and continue to maintain it meticulously because I still love it and prefer it over the Acura. I'm planning on trading in the Acura in next year, but I'm not sure what to replace it with since the new TLX is only a sedan and I'm guessing the sport wagon will disappear. It will be a shame if that happens.

By saabzerphun
on 02/15/14 13:22 PM (PST)

I, too, have been a SAAB owner (17 years) who's had a wonderful ownership AND repair shop experience with that marque. SAABs are being made again, but not the 9-5 or a similar sized vehicle. I shopped for months to find a replacement for my last SAAB, a 2005 9-5 wagon (so versatile!), and passed on Audi's allroad & Q5 (VERY nice but too expensive) and a Volvo v60 R-Series Polestar wagon (I REALLY wanted that one, but at $47,500 - yikes!). Blizzak WS-70s mitigate the absence of AWD on my 2012 TSX Technology. It was driven by the dealer's service manager, so it's, um, tight and in great shape. I am knocked out by the HDD hard drive audio system that stores/instantly retrieves LOTS of tunes. Power is comparable to SAAB's 2.3t but not the 2.3T or Aero. Love the backup camera, audio options, ease of phone calls, great tie-downs in the cargo area, my new OZ Racing wheels, yada yada. There are some aspects of SAAB ownership I miss: pivoting reading light, 3 driver's-seat memories that include the mirrors (can't figure how to get that on my '12 Tech), incredible braking performance of the SAABs (well, it IS still winter in Wisconsin; I'll keep you posted), and I hope I never have to find out how well my Acura will take a hit. I'd been absolutely CREAMED by a Chrysler mini-van and a Ford Explorer in SAABs (T-boned in a '95 9000 CSE @ 35 mph & rear-ended in a stopped '00 Aero at about 25-30, respectively) and fared better than both other drivers. SAABs are SOLID. I'm liking this Acura, though. I'll post again in, say, June.

By chrisvt2
on 05/28/13 16:34 PM (PDT)

Hi Manual Wagon Fan, Could you give an update on your experience with the TSX Wagon now that you've owned it for a year? I have driven almost exclusively used Saab and Volvo wagons/hatchbacks for the last 15 years. I have a 2006 Saab 9-5 Sport Combi right now but considering switching it for the Acura. Although I love Saab's seat comfort, handling and performance, very attracted by Honda/Acura reliability (especially w/a 2year old daughter now, I just don't have the time to work on my cars like I used to). Have you gone on any long trips? If so, how is your seat comfort? Thanks for any insights you may have.