Used 2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TSX Sport Wagon model:

Good at most, great at none, the best compromise
By John Lindstrom

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Technology Package 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I think it's one of the best looking wagons on the road and it's rare. The four cylinder is competent, loves to rev and has a great exhaust note. The engine really begs you to floor it. Unfortunately, the best MPG I have ever gotten was 27 and was from Seattle to Portland and usually I average around 21-22. The mpg tracker is consistently off by 1 gallon. The back seats are tight for such a large looking car. Lots of cubby holes and hiding spots. The power hatch is great. The rear wheel wells take up a lot of space in the wagon part and the curved sporty backend of the wagon makes getting larger items into the back a challenge at times. The backend isn't a square opening.

It's good looking. The premium sound with the tech package is fantastic. Power open/close rear liftgate. Handles great but it's no bmw. Lots of gear storage but it's no outback. Pretty quick but it's no sports car. Pretty refined and luxurious but it's no lexus. It's really a good compromise on all areas. Jack of all trades. Master of none but good at most. Consumer Reports has it as a best bet for reliability. Low cost of ownership.

Gas mileage. If I wanted to average 25 mpg I would have to drive like a grandma in a car that wants to go quick. It's tough because it's a four cylinder in a pretty large car so for it to feel quick and nimble you need to be judicious on the gas. I miss having all wheel drive. The stock tires are really bad in the wet. When it's time to replace them I will get something with better grip in the rain.

Acura TSX should be a best-seller
By kurtr2828

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Technology Package 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

It's early September '13 and I must like this car, because I've put nearly 8,000 miles on it since purchasing it April 5. I can't understand why this car isn't more popular: It's the right size, with more cargo space (and higher reliability) than the Audi A4 wagon. It's fun to drive, and offers great mileage. I considered a 2014 Mazda 6, but needed something I could haul my bicycle in. Also considered Subaru Outback, but they are like bellybuttons--everyone has one. I must travel more than 100 miles to the nearest dealer, but I have no regrets. Great car. I seldom see others like it on the road. Wish I saw more of 'em.

Leather seats (even passenger side is power) offer good support and comfort on long trips, and the memory feature is cool. Don't trust the built-in gas mileage readout on the dash--it overestimates mileage by a couple of miles per gallon. But on my trip from Eastern Iowa to Virginia in June, got 32 mpg going out and 30 mpg coming home. Must've been the prevailing winds out of the west. In regular commuting on a two-lane state highway between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, I get around 29 mpg. Haven't done much city driving. I like the tech package, with nav, improved sound system, and power tailgate. Also like weather radar in nav unit. Mostly, I just like the way it handles.

I thought the nav unit would be more like the one in my wife's '07 Odyssey, but the Acura does not let me program a list of destinations for the day. Instead, it forces me to list one destination, and then add side trips (and not very easily). Also, although I find it has plenty of power and a smooth-shifting transmission, I agree with others in this forum that an additional cog would be an improvement. But mostly, I'd like to see Acura try harder to market and sell this car. A lot of folks are missing out on a very attractive, comfortable car. I'm looking forward to many happy miles with my '12 Acura TSX Sport Wagon.

Incredible Value, Fun to Drive and Great Utility + Luxury
By bergamini

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

So far I love my '12 TSX wagon. The 4-cylinder has plenty of power, especially where I need it (from stop & highway passing) plus I have averaged 29.5 MPG for the first 3K in combined city / highway driving. The front seats are very comfortable. The base audio system sounds great. The utility of having a wagon is great for IKEA runs, toting my bike, etc. The interior is finished very nicely for this price point, it feels like a luxury car. The value of this wagon compared to the Subaru Outback or the Volvo XC70 is incredible. My understanding is that Acura will be discontinuing it after next year, and I will be sad to see it go.

I love the steering wheel, it feels great and I can control all the radio, trip and diagnostic functions from it. The automatic transmission is very smooth and I never even notice it shifting. There is plenty of room inside, especially up front and in the cargo area. My dog loves riding in back. I love the nook under the cargo area, perfect for yoga mats, shoes, cans of tennis balls, etc. I just hope I don't get a flat! The base audio system sounds surprisingly well and has a lot of features and good quality speakers. Lots of included features like Homelink, Xenon headlamps, paddle shifters, satellite radio, etc.

I don't understand why a 2011 Honda Accord can have SMS functionality but a 2012 Acura doesn't? Honda/Acura needs to get better at pushing out new technology to models in production. The base Bluetooth does not work well with the iPhone, can't transfer address book or even push contacts. The Bluetooth, after about 2 months, stopped recognizing my old iPhone 4 and I'm not sure if that's my phone or the car's fault. The back seat could be a bit larger, but it works for me and the adults who've ridden in it have said it's fine.

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon w/Tech package
By ginodl

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Technology Package 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Originally bought one for my wife, but I was extremely impressed with it, so I bought another for myself. We now have twins (different colors) in our garage. I could not be more pleased with them, averaging 23-25 mpg around town, and over 31 mpg on the highway. While I was concerned with only a 4 cylinder engine in the cars, they have proven to be even more exciting than the heavily Yamaha-massaged V-6 in our previous Mercury Sable (plus a lot better on gas). I've owned 5 Acuras previous to these two, and can verify that they will go to 200,000 miles with little or no concern. Why anyone would chose a "small" SUV over this comfortable wagon escapes me completely.

Navigation system - intuitively easy to use - Audio system - almost as good as the one in our living room Standard paddle shifters - reasonable alternate to a real 3-pedal transmission, but the automatic works extremely well by itself Plenty of cargo space - easily accessible through the auto-operated tailgate. All kinds of neat stuff comes standard - didn't have to add a lot of options.

Not crazy about the lack of a spare tire - don't like relying on a squirt can of tire gunk and a tiny tire pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. This would probably work for a small puncture, but you're stuck with a blow-out. I will admit though, that in almost 60 years of driving, I've only had to rely on a spare tire twice. Besides, Acura tosses in on-road coverage with the car, so you're not completely without resources.

So Far, So Good!
By exillinimj

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Technology Package 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my TSX Sports Wagon a couple of months now. The negative reviews I have seen are that it is under-powered (I disagree) and it has older technology (some of it could be upgraded but it is adequate). Since the 2012 was the same as the 2013, I was able to get a 2012 deeply discounted (which also factored highly into buying this vehicle). I compared this to the Ford Escape Titanium and 2014 Mazda CX7. I really like the technology package on the Mazda (it has Tom Tom) and the Ford was VERY nice. I just liked the way the the Acura handled better and it has a decent amount of cargo space. I also think the Acura will be more reliable in the long run.

Handling, speaker system (very good), lots of cargo space, paddle shifters are fun, transmission is tuned very well.

Technology package is dated (no touch screen, bluetooth connection plays music but does not display song/album information or album art, no internet connection via phone for POI searches, etc); limited storage (just glove box and center armrest); could use turbo.