Used 2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TSX Sport Wagon model:

The best car you'll never see on the road!
By Kurt

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Technology Package 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Know that you belong to an exclusive club that found this hidden automotive jewel among the many boring crossovers and smaller SUVs. When I started looking for something with more "practicality" I wanted something fun to drive like my Mazda Miata and the comfort of my wife's Jaguar, I stopped at the Acura dealer after seeing a TSX Wagon blow past me on the highway. One test drive and I was sold. NO REGRETS! Handles like a sports car, the 2.4 twin cam I-Vtec sreams to 7,000 rpm and with the paddle shifters you can have additional fun. The heated leather seats combined with the Tech Package and sound system make trips a breeze. Has more c/f of luggage space than many medium SUVs. We haul bikes, skis, dogs and grandchildren with speed, grace and comfort. Honda/Acura reliability, styling way better than the sedan....what a deal!

Reliable, Safe, Fun to Drive, Gas Saver
By Tsx lover

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We went to the nearby Acura dealership to purchase the newly re-designed Acura RDX back in 2012. Yet, the jet black 2012 S Wagon TSX caught our eye. It's counterpart sedan was also an impressive car, but since we were parents of a 2 year old with one on the way,we needed some additional head room in the storage/cargo area. The s-wagon made sense. It had ample room to store everything from strollers to beach gear. The compartment under the trunk lid is also very useful. Additionally, the leather is great. Real leather at no additional cost for an entry level vehicle unlike some of the German counterpart wagons we looked at. The tech package is easy to use with bluetooth, nav., a cooler in the arm rest console for warm days, where you can store a cold can of soda! It was phenomenol. The rear seats split allowing storage for longer items. The auto 6 way adjustable seats are also great as are the memory seating. The heated pereforated seats help out alot and you can keep it on the low setting. Performance wise, the car is very conservative on gas consumption. Additionally, it performs relatively well. It is fun to drive as you can paint the road lines with the car. Steering and handling are awesome. it does lack some juice, but the inlive V-4 engine is pretty solid and comparable to some low end V-6 model vehicles. I would say the trade off for saving on gas and the little bit of extra juice you get off the V-6 is well worth it for this car. Overall, great family car with tons of features and luxury amentities. I think this is an awesome car for a starter family, that can double as a great and comfortable commuter car for kings. Acura also holds value and runs like a champ for years, as this is our second acura we purchased. I think we will ride this one for a while. Too bad they stopped making this model. it truly is one of a kind. Oh and it looks so much more sporty than your typical Subaru Outback type japanese wagon. Some friends even mistake it for a hatchback for those who have a stigma against sports wagons. In Eurpose wagons have way more clout.

Good at most, great at none, the best compromise
By John Lindstrom

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Technology Package 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I think it's one of the best looking wagons on the road and it's rare. The four cylinder is competent, loves to rev and has a great exhaust note. The engine really begs you to floor it. Unfortunately, the best MPG I have ever gotten was 27 and was from Seattle to Portland and usually I average around 21-22. The mpg tracker is consistently off by 1 gallon. The back seats are tight for such a large looking car. Lots of cubby holes and hiding spots. The power hatch is great. The rear wheel wells take up a lot of space in the wagon part and the curved sporty backend of the wagon makes getting larger items into the back a challenge at times. The backend isn't a square opening.

It's good looking. The premium sound with the tech package is fantastic. Power open/close rear liftgate. Handles great but it's no bmw. Lots of gear storage but it's no outback. Pretty quick but it's no sports car. Pretty refined and luxurious but it's no lexus. It's really a good compromise on all areas. Jack of all trades. Master of none but good at most. Consumer Reports has it as a best bet for reliability. Low cost of ownership.

Gas mileage. If I wanted to average 25 mpg I would have to drive like a grandma in a car that wants to go quick. It's tough because it's a four cylinder in a pretty large car so for it to feel quick and nimble you need to be judicious on the gas. I miss having all wheel drive. The stock tires are really bad in the wet. When it's time to replace them I will get something with better grip in the rain.

Acura TSX should be a best-seller
By kurtr2828

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Technology Package 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

It's early September '13 and I must like this car, because I've put nearly 8,000 miles on it since purchasing it April 5. I can't understand why this car isn't more popular: It's the right size, with more cargo space (and higher reliability) than the Audi A4 wagon. It's fun to drive, and offers great mileage. I considered a 2014 Mazda 6, but needed something I could haul my bicycle in. Also considered Subaru Outback, but they are like bellybuttons--everyone has one. I must travel more than 100 miles to the nearest dealer, but I have no regrets. Great car. I seldom see others like it on the road. Wish I saw more of 'em.

Leather seats (even passenger side is power) offer good support and comfort on long trips, and the memory feature is cool. Don't trust the built-in gas mileage readout on the dash--it overestimates mileage by a couple of miles per gallon. But on my trip from Eastern Iowa to Virginia in June, got 32 mpg going out and 30 mpg coming home. Must've been the prevailing winds out of the west. In regular commuting on a two-lane state highway between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, I get around 29 mpg. Haven't done much city driving. I like the tech package, with nav, improved sound system, and power tailgate. Also like weather radar in nav unit. Mostly, I just like the way it handles.

I thought the nav unit would be more like the one in my wife's '07 Odyssey, but the Acura does not let me program a list of destinations for the day. Instead, it forces me to list one destination, and then add side trips (and not very easily). Also, although I find it has plenty of power and a smooth-shifting transmission, I agree with others in this forum that an additional cog would be an improvement. But mostly, I'd like to see Acura try harder to market and sell this car. A lot of folks are missing out on a very attractive, comfortable car. I'm looking forward to many happy miles with my '12 Acura TSX Sport Wagon.

Incredible Value, Fun to Drive and Great Utility + Luxury
By bergamini

2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

So far I love my '12 TSX wagon. The 4-cylinder has plenty of power, especially where I need it (from stop & highway passing) plus I have averaged 29.5 MPG for the first 3K in combined city / highway driving. The front seats are very comfortable. The base audio system sounds great. The utility of having a wagon is great for IKEA runs, toting my bike, etc. The interior is finished very nicely for this price point, it feels like a luxury car. The value of this wagon compared to the Subaru Outback or the Volvo XC70 is incredible. My understanding is that Acura will be discontinuing it after next year, and I will be sad to see it go.

I love the steering wheel, it feels great and I can control all the radio, trip and diagnostic functions from it. The automatic transmission is very smooth and I never even notice it shifting. There is plenty of room inside, especially up front and in the cargo area. My dog loves riding in back. I love the nook under the cargo area, perfect for yoga mats, shoes, cans of tennis balls, etc. I just hope I don't get a flat! The base audio system sounds surprisingly well and has a lot of features and good quality speakers. Lots of included features like Homelink, Xenon headlamps, paddle shifters, satellite radio, etc.

I don't understand why a 2011 Honda Accord can have SMS functionality but a 2012 Acura doesn't? Honda/Acura needs to get better at pushing out new technology to models in production. The base Bluetooth does not work well with the iPhone, can't transfer address book or even push contacts. The Bluetooth, after about 2 months, stopped recognizing my old iPhone 4 and I'm not sure if that's my phone or the car's fault. The back seat could be a bit larger, but it works for me and the adults who've ridden in it have said it's fine.

• SUV