2015 Acura TLX Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Acura TLX - Consumer Reviews

2015 Acura TLX

View reviews for a specific TLX model:

Transmission Jerk!!
By geosh10@gmail.com

2015 Acura TLX Advance Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

First, let me say, we love the way our TLX V6 Advance looks! The exterior is prefect, love the rims also. The interior is very attractive, minus the so-so navigation system and controls. If your looking for a roomy car, this isn't it. Remember this is a compact entry-lever luxury car. Currently, we have have 7,000 miles on ours, just developed a rattle coming from the inside the front of the cabin. The front seats are very comfortable and I love the frame-less rear view mirror.
Now, here's why you shouldn't buy this car! THE TRANSMISSION is horrible! Believe the reviews! From 1st to 2nd gear it hesitates and lags badly! Doesn't matter what mode you put it in either. Our Acura dealership has done two updates so far and they both haven't helped! Looking to trade soon for maybe a Genesis's or something else. Oh, one awesome thing about the car is the fuel economy! I have gotten up to 44 mpg's on the highway at 55 mph.

Vibration at 1500 RPMs
By Randy Atkins

2015 Acura TLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

I've had the car for about 6 weeks now and bought it after being extremely pleased with my 2016 MDX Advance. It was a CPO loaner car with 4600 miles. After about 2 weeks I noticed when I was cruising along at 1500 RPMs it felt like I was riding on a rumble strip. At first I thought it was the road, but then it seemed to happen on any road I was on. I took it to the dealer and they said that it was due to the VCM system (variable cylinder management). When it reaches a cruising speed it drops back to 3 cylinders for optimal gas mileage and therefore causes a vibration. The dealer said there was no fix which lead me to call Acura customer care. After talking with them and them talking to the dealer, they told me that was how the car is supposed to operate, to which I told them no $40k luxury car is designed to rumble when you are at cruising speed. They were absolutely no help and offered no assistance to remedy the problem, just repeated that was the way it was supposed to operate. I took it to another dealer and they basically confirmed the findings of the first dealer. In addition, I started to have a vibration when braking. They looked at that issue and ended up having to replace the entire front brake system...not very comforting for a car with 7k miles. I will say the gas mileage is exceptional as I got 38 MPG straight interstate on a 300 mile trip; however, I bought it for the ride more than the MPG and would gladly take a lower MPG for a smooth ride. Probably won't keep it long.

15 TLX - It is not that "kind of thrill"
By westlx

2015 Acura TLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 8AM)

Got a great deal on the TLX end of 2015 and only bought it due to getting thousands off sticker. I did not think the 1,000 off sticker was justified for this car after driving it earlier in the year. It does have a great smooth, quiet ride. The 4cyl has more than enough power with the 8speed DCT. It is nice having the rear cross and blind spot protection and it is a great highway cruiser getting around 35 on premium gas. Do not believe the dealer than you can run 87, well yeah you can but the engine knocks.

So pros: Quiet ride, very nice ride over bumps etc, sound system is great and gas mileage is good for a car this size.

Cons: 2,000 miles into owning the car noticed a crease in the headliner, not just a wrinkle as I thought. The headliner was broken, how did that pass QA? Dealer had to pull windshield out to put a new one in. Just great having a new car all ripped apart. This warranted 2 trips to the dealer, because it was not assembled 100% like new when I went to pick it up and they had to order more parts.
Fit and finish inside is just ok, I would expect better for the luxury brand of Honda.
Touch screen for hvac is just dumb, good I have LKAS cause you need it while changing the controls. Granted I knew this and thought I would get use to it, but give me knobs back please.
Now my most recent issue is the car when sifting out of drive will not go into reverse, you have to play with the trans to get it to work. 50-75% of the time it won't go in reverse. On day one at the dealer I was told this never happened before. Now on day two being told it has happened before and it is a shift cable that is damaged. I asked what caused the damage and I was told Acura does not know.

During this visit also asked to fox the rattle/vibration in the headliner. So much for no rattles after the car was ripped apart. Now to see how the panels are fitting after being ripped apart twice now. After the first time they certainly don't look like my loaner now where it is all neat and tight.

And forget calling Acura Client Relations they are a joke. Person today was rude and told me they cannot do anything about these issues and that the dealer needs to address any complaints since they sold the car and each dealership is an independent business from Acura. Based on the call today, I guess Acura doesn't give a crap about the defects they put out from their production lines. I had some initial problems with my Jeep, and I have to say their customer service puts Acura to shame!

Overall I want to like the car, but so far the ownership is not what I had expected from an Acura product.

Go read consumer reports and check out what they are stating about the Acura brand this year before spending your hard earned money.

Smooth and great family car
By Lawrence71

2015 Acura TLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 8AM)

After owning a 2007 Accord (best Accord ever built and phenomenal car), I decided it was time for an upgrade that included more modern safety features. I have been driving my new TLX for about 6 months now and have about 5,500 miles on it. Fantastic car and offers great value for the money. This is not a sports car even though handling is superb.
Best features: quiet interior, quality of materials, handling/steering, engine, fuel economy, style, transmission, LED headlights, great value for the money, and very solid chassis.
Not so good features: front headroom good but not great (wish Acura would offer models without moon roof), no spare tire

Great, Great Car; Understand What It Is
By Brandon

2015 Acura TLX Advance Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

This review may be biased because I stepped up from a 2005 EX-L V6 Accord to the TLX. That's quite a step.

What I love: This is a very comfortable car. The seats are excellent, the ergonomics are fantastic, steering wheel controls are great, the ELS sound system is beautiful, the car is extremely quiet, it has excellent dampening on the road and on the highway providing a very solid ride - without ever lumbering. The thing is very nimble - cornering is particularly good when pushed, but understand I don't drive my cars that hard. I just love the interior of the car.

The nine-speed AT is quirky but I've grown to like it. Once I got used to it and to the different driving modes, the AT became a non-issue. For daily commuting, I keep the car in economy mode. On the highway, in the stop and go - from 30-70mph I barely crack 1700rpm. Impressive. Dropping it into the Sport+ working the paddles, I start to get very nervous about not having a radar detector. The car may not be FAST, but it's very quick - and you'll be doing 90mph before you realize it. I speak from experience. Personally, I like the push-button system.

What could be better: The 9 speed transmission takes getting used to. It could be better. I hope Acura pushes another software update for it - but I'll live if they don't. A 9 speed DCT like what they've developed for the NSX could be a nice improvement. One of my biggest gripes about the 9AT is getting off the line - it's too slow. Now, I haven't tried Sport+ and the paddles yet... still breaking in.

The volume nob on the dash is laughably (ha ha) too small, the touch screen interface can be distracting - particularly when driving and operating the radio / AC. It's not entirely intuitive. Some of those functions may be better left to buttons... but the auto critics will ding them for complexity. Can't win.

The fact that the car doesn't come with a spare tire is irresponsible. You could disqualify it on this grounds, but you'd be shutting yourself out of a lot of otherwise nice vehicles. Inquire about a spare tire kit. You can purchase one for the car.

Understand what this car is: it's built for the average 90% of us who drive to and from work and around town and want something that is comfortable, attractive, and fun to drive. It has enough to juice to get you in trouble, but it's not a liability.

My take on the competition:
I evaluated a lot of options before buying this car: Accord Touring (V6), BMW 3-series, Infiniti Q50, Toyota Camry, Lexus ES, Jaguar XE, Lexus IS.

I drove the 3-series for an extended drive. I really don't understand why the car magazines pour so much praise on this car. Don't get me wrong, it's great. It's fast, it handles great, it's attractive - it's also small, it's expensive, it has loads of plastic, it's every 7th car on the road. Option out a 3-series with equivalent engine, safety, and interior accouterments and compare the final price to the TLX - the TLX is larger, quieter, nicer on the inside (subjective), and the driving experience just isn't THAT far behind the BMW per the price difference. - oh, and it kills me to hear reviewers say the Acura is a dressed up Honda in one breath, and praise Audi (a dressed up VW) in the next...

The Accord touring is a very nice car. It's almost luxurious. It's not luxurious. It's not as quiet as the TLX, in fact I found the TLX to be significantly quieter. The material quality of the TLX is better and I find the TLX to be more spirited / fun to drive. The premium I paid for the TLX just wasn't big enough to make the Accord attractive.

Toyota: Forget the Camry, it's not are a real comp here. IMO, the Accord is much nicer. I eliminated the Lexus IS for being too small. The ES is very nice. It's quiet, boring, luxurious, boring, very well made, boring. Lexus ended up the second finalist. I had my wife drive the TLX and the ES without telling her which one I liked better - she got out of the Lexus and immediately said: buy the Acura. Done.

The Infiniti is really fun car. The thing is a rocket and it handles on rails. For me, I couldn't justify the added price for the Infiniti relative to the Acura. The Acura just isn't that much less fun to drive (it is quite a bit slower). The Q50 is worth a serious look, I can't lie. It's a nice car. I eliminated it because of its lower safety ratings, smaller backseat, interior styling, and my lack of confidence in its long-term reliability.

The Jag is amazing. No way, no how was I going to buy a Jag :-)