2015 Acura TLX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Acura Tlx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TLX model:

This is not a sports car, it's a luxury car
By jw_l

2015 Acura TLX Advance Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Had an Acura for over a decade and it was as reliable as the day I bought it. I was hesitant to buy the V6 model after the safety recall, but decided to get one after test driving the 4-cyl and the V6. All the dealerships pulled the defective V6 models already. To start, yes, there is a little lag on acceleration, however, this isn't meant to be a sports car (although the V6 offers Sport and Sport+ modes). I haven't experienced jerkiness on the transmission as other reviewers talked about. It's a smooth and very comfortable ride! Love that Sport mode gives you stiffer steering. Really reminded me of my previous sporty car. And, if you prefer the fast acceleration, use the Sport mode.

Favorite Features

V6 push button gears are great! I shift between Econ (31+ mpg), Normal (28-29 mpg) to Sport (27 mpg) often. The Cross Traffic camera is a nice function when those other drivers zip through parking lots and you can't see them. Love the Blind Spot cameras (V6 models have them inside the car which is nice). The Lane Assist and Collision Mitigation systems are very on point (I tested out every feature). The stereo system is probably the best I've seen--it's literally throughout the cabin. The sound is phenomenal. While I know most reviewers find the double screens confusing, I actually like it. I like my technology and you don't have to be tech savvy to learn the functions.It's VERY comfortable!

Suggested Improvements

A power telescopic steering wheel would be nice. My other Acura would lower the radio music when voice guidance was activated which I appreciated. It can be a little confusing if you have the music up and the voice guidance is equally as loud. I've driven the car over 1k miles and these are the only 2 complaints I have.

Critical but Subjective Review
By acuradriver6

2015 Acura TLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 8AM)

The TLX does represent the best value for your money, with all the useful entertainment and driver's assistant features, quiet ride, and comfortable seats. Then here is the big problem that has made me and many others regretted its purchase. The TLX's all new 8-speed DCT is causing all kinds of problems: Hard jerk right before entering a complete stop(like the car has been rear-ended). Delay during acceleration after momentarily letting off gas - engine revs up and then the car slams into the gear that it finally selects - especially dangerous when coming out of a corner or attempting to accelerate after yielding in an intersection. Takes 2-3 key strokes turn on heated seats!!

Favorite Features

Quiet Ride, Comfortable Seats, Blind Spot Monitor

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, Transmission, and Transmission! Long lag and heavy clunk shifting from "R" to "D"; delay during acceleration after momentarily letting off gas - engine revs up and then the car slams into the gear that it finally selects - especially dangerous when coming out of a corner or attempting to accelerate after yielding in an intersection; occasional hard jerk when stopping (like the car has been rear-ended); random rough shifting at slow speeds, etc. These problems are not just uncomfortable, they're extremely dangerous! Poor design of frequently used features such as heated seats. It takes a driver 2-3 key strokes to turn it on. It should be a one key stroke.

Objective Review
By Kim Todd

2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Test drove the front wheel drive V6. For a little more I bought the Super Handling All Wheel Drive model. Compared to Lexus ES, IS and GS350, BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mercedes CLA and C class. Without a doubt, the TLX is a winner. It offers this 41 year old everything I could want in a car. It offers very comfortable seats and the quietest ride of all the competition. It offers safety surpassed by no one. Top Safety Pick + by the Insurance Institute. When I feel like driving more aggressively, it simply asks how aggressive? It lets me choose between Eco, Normal, Sport and Sport + mode that completely changes the character of the car. The direct injection engine offers -.

Favorite Features

aggressive sporty sound when I want it to. The standard paddle shifters are great. The fuel economy is like a hybrid on the highway. The AWD system is the best out there and makes me take corners at heart pounding speeds. The LED head lights are awesome. I cant think of anything negative. The price is really quite good. For about $42K dollars nothing even comes close.

Suggested Improvements

A Type S model with more meat on the wheels and some extra bling built in would be good.

TLX has safety issues
By amalcr

2015 Acura TLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

I have bought at least 8 Acuras in the last 5 years....always reliable. The new TLX has some problems. First, there is NO emergency brake....absolutely dumb and stupid! They ask you to electronically put on an emergency brake and then to get it off, electronically, you have to press on the accelerator. Well, that can cause an accident, especially if you are pointed downhill. Second, when you put the transmission in park, it drifts backward or forward, however you are pointed. These defects need to be fixed, pronto. If you like a hand emergency brake, don't buy this car!

Suggested Improvements

Add an hand emergency brake. Fix the 8-speed transmission so that when you put it in PARK it will not move on you.

Great Car Poor Climate Control System
By v4f1

2015 Acura TLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Purchased a TLX Tech 2WD AWS V^ in October, love the way the car drives, handles awesomely, very quiet interior, the Stereo system is great, the electronics touch screens and such are very nicely put together. This is my third Acura had a '08' TL and '09' MDX, the climate control on this car seems to only work well for about an hour, when you drive on the freeway with the temp set at 74 for example the car gets very drafty and cold, the climate control never seems to adjust for the temp when needed, I live in a cold climate city, have driven two others and have experienced the same drafty interior.