Used 2012 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Not bad, but needs improvements
By 71peters

2012 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my 2012 TL for a year now.
I bought it as a CPO for $28K...4K miles on it.
I traded in a BMW 328I.
Ok, it is a nice car with a lot of options.
The interior is nice and very modern.
Been on a few long trips and it is very comfortable.
Where I have issues is with it's performance.
Two things right off the bat, 1) The transmission, second gear to be exact seems sluggish on take off.
It really drags the the engine down and makes for a jerky ride.
Granted, coming from a BMW...the Acura's performance is not even close.
But it makes up for it in other areas.
2) The steering is not sport-tuned and you will feel torque-steer if you get in the gas.
Feels like a Buick at times.

Interior Ride Fuel Mileage for a 280 hp engine Power Overall value for your money

Transmission needs attention. Tighten up the steering a little! Get rid of the Bridgstone tires. I have had bad experiances with Bridgstones before. They are loud and always need to be balanced.

tech package overkill
By tomtrav1

2012 Acura TL Sedan Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

this is our 3rd acura and we are pleased overall.smooth and quiet,handles well.

looks,ride, quality,reliability.

in order to get pushbutton start and back-up cam we had to upgrade to tech package.instruction manual for nav system is the size of a small phone book.i still cant figure out half of what it does.a car of this class should have pushbutton start and camera standard in base model(see 2013 accord)

Too many problems in 1 year
By kway

2012 Acura TL Sedan SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr Sedan AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

During the year I have had this car, I have had to have the battery, navigation system, stability, push ignition, and a bearing replaced.
Acura's response, there is nothing they can do.
This is not what I expected from a brand new car.
Additionally, the car does not sense when my mom is in the passenger seat.
She weighs 130 lbs.
this is a big safety concern.
I would not Uyi this car!!!

Clunking noise from Rear Suspension
By lex612

2012 Acura TL Sedan Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Loud "CLUNKING NOISE" came from passenger side rear suspension.
It got louder as the car getting more miles on it.
Took it in four times at the local dealer:

1st Attempt:
Local dealer changed the strut but noise still there,

2nd Attempt: acura agent came in to verify the problem and took the entire assembly rear suspension apart and found nothing wrong with it but the noise still present so they concluded that it is a normal noise on the TL (Which I don't agree because only one corner of the car is making the noise, left rear suspension is nice and quiet when ride over bump)

3rd attempt: Service manager refused service because he told me that Acura is will not fix the "clunking noise" because they think it is a normal sound.

4th attempt:
I took the car to a small local shop which is not Acura and some mechanic friends to check out the noises that I am hear from the one corner of the car (passenger rear suspension).
They all confirmed the noise is an irregularity of a suspension and suspected something is wrong with the strut and it assembly/bushing but inconclusive with the problem because it could be many things that can go wrong with it and recommended me to bring it back to Acura.
Acura refused service again and said the same thing like the 3rd attempt.

File a claim with BBB and the same Acura Claim representative that I dealt with earlier said the same thing again, that they will not fix anything regarding the clunking noise I hear because they think it is normal.

My opinion:
This is an Acura and it is over $40,000 dollars car so I expected a nice quiet and comfortable car but the "Clunking noise" really killed my excitement about owning this car.
Just a headeache everytime I look or drive it.
I am definately upset with Acura about how they handle this situation because they did not offer me any solution but they basically tell me live with the "clunking noise" from that one corner of the car.
and if the noise was normal, Acura mechanic wouldn't have change the strut the 1st time I brought it in...Why is Acura doing this??
and How can I get them to fix the problem I am having now, can anyone help? my frustration with Acura is to the roof now and hope to get this handle the sooner the better.

Excellent car!
By numberjack

2012 Acura TL Sedan Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Very happy with this car.
Excellent luxury car for a regular car price.
Paid $32.7K + tax for TL Tech.
I've had it for 8k miles now and it's been great!
Absolutely no problems at all.

Plenty of power, smooth, quiet, handles well, very comfortable seats, Amazing stereo system!!

Decent gas mileage for a mid sized luxury car, averaging 25 mpg overall in mixed driving; 28+ on long road trips.

This is an excellent car for this price range.
I paid about what a fully loaded accord/camry/altima would have cost, but got a much nicer & sportier luxury car instead.
No complaints whatsoever!

Sporty comfortable seats, luxurious soft leather, awesome stereo, excellent fit & finish and high quality interior, smooth quiet and very powerful performance.

I wish the trunk was bigger. Power folding mirrors and rain sensing wipers would be nice additions too.