2012 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Vast improvement over '04 TL
By ad2677 on 05/21/12 11:51 AM (PDT)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Technology Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I traded my '06 525i after a very expensive out of warranty repair. I've owned an '04 TL for 2 years preceeding the '06 525i purchase in '08. I had absolutely no issues with the TL and just the opposite with the 525i (maybe I should listen to the Consumer Reports review, they were spot on with their review). I went back to '12 TL w/Tech Package, what a breath of fresh air that was. I got it in July and have about 11K+ miles on it with no issues whatsoever. I love the entertainment and navigation systems and their ease of use. The TL handles with ease and is quite entertaining to drive and I love the engine sound at wide open throtle. The car is quite fast and a pleasure to drive.

Great car for the money
By mihink on 04/20/12 20:00 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After driving BMWs for the past 6 years..I decided to try out the TL. What a pleasant surprise. Drives 'smaller' that it really is. The SH-AWD handling is on par with most RWD German cars. The TL is actually the size of the 5/E/A6 class but is priced cheaper than 3/C/A4 class. The gas mileage so far is 25 mpg combined..not bad. The 'punch' off the line is not as immediate as the 335i I had. I do miss some luxury touches - rain sensing wipers, one touch triple turn signals, swiveling headlights, auto dimming side mirrors. Features you grow to appreciate and really miss when you don't have them. Overall great car..no regrets on purchase!

Excellent vehicle
By bradj7 on 04/19/12 20:46 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Previous Infiniti G, VW Passat and BMW 335 series owner (24 month leases). TL is impressively well balanced. At least in the 6MT, a great combination of sport, luxury and comfort. In true Honda/Acura fashion, there isn't one thing that glaringly stands out; rather, when taken as a complete package, the engineers have clearly done their homework. I've had issues with my most recent three sedans, yet, I really haven't found significant short comings in the TL. Everyone talks about "German engineering" (why did my BMW get a new engine at 29K miles?) , but I think the TL is a better all-around car.

A PLEASANT SURPRISE
By gfortunato on 04/15/12 09:43 AM (PDT)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Technology Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Test drove the Buick Lacrosse, the Volkswagen CC Coupe, Hyundai Genesis and Maxima. Although I liked the looks of others a little better, as soon as I drove this car I was sold! This car is just plain fun to drive...handling is awesome, rides nice and has great "tracking". Controls are easy as is the Nav system, sound system phenominal, along with comfy but supportive seats. Got 28.3 mpg on first trip...not bad for all that power that feels like a V-8 not a V-6. You cant beat this car for "bang-for-the-buck"

Very good but not deserving the TLC status
By bogdan2 on 02/06/12 17:26 PM (PST)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Technology Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I own the TL 2012 Technology package for more than a month now. The car is sporty indeed while comfortable and quiet. However my expectations were much higher from a car that claims to be a Total Luxury Car. 1. While driving you can't rest your left hand by sitting your elbow on the door handle. And even if you can it won't be at the same level as you right hand elbow. 2. If you remove your foot off the gas pedal quickly it will hit the frame with a "clunk" type of noise very bothering. 3. The worst probably is the navigation system that doesn't show your current speed, the speed limit of the road and most of the street names you driving by.

Excellent Vehicle
By ken117 on 02/03/12 04:29 AM (PST)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Technology Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently purchased a 2012 TL with Tech. For the price I paid the TL presented the best overall value. Yes, I did consider all the other players in this market. I did not want to pay extra for a European badge such as MB or BMW and I have concerns with their reliability . Audi's spotty reliability was a killer. Couldn't justify the price of the Lexus which I find a bit sedate. Liked the Infiniti but find the styling a bit outdated. Certainly, the other vehicles I considered may better the TL in some areas and the TL may better them in other areas. I do know, having driven the TL for a couple of months, my appreciation of the TL continues to grow.

First time Acura buyer
By kiloputty on 01/28/12 21:21 PM (PST)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Advance Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just got a TL Advance this week with 8 miles on it. Currenlty have 108 miles. I test drove the AWD and loved the way it handled, but decided on the FWD for the softer suspension. The AWD defies physics in a way that would tempt me too much. It begs you to take turns at high speeds. The FWD felt faster in a straight line. When I mentioned this to the sales guy, he said that the FWD was in fact faster in a straight line, but Acura marketing didn't want that advertised, no idea if there's any truth there. AWD comes with tighter side lumbar support and stiffer suspension. Suffice to say you owe it to yourself to test drive both to decide which is right for you.

Acura cost cutting ruins this car for me
By jr171 on 12/27/11 14:52 PM (PST)

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

The TL is fun to drive and is well designed. Unfortunately, after living with it for 6 months the cost cutting Acura is so obvious that it ruins the car for me. Here are my annoyances, individually none of them are deal breakers but combined they kill my TL enjoyment Issue 1: The wheels of my 44k car are plastic. The 2011 model were metal and looked a ton better. Issue 2: The bumpers of my white TL are a yellowish white that don't come close to matching the body when it's cloudy outside (bought the car on sunny day so I didn't notice) Issue 3: Misc quality issues. All the chrome paint has flaked off my key fob, the leather is low quality and wearing quickly, the back speakers rattle, etc

Better choice than BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes, etc.
By mcorley on 11/21/11 14:36 PM (PST)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Technology Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Okay, so I am in my late 50's now and have owned so many cars since the late 60's that I cannot count them all. I owned Pontiac - Chevy - Ford - Lincoln etc. Switched to Japanese cars, specifically an Acura TL in 2001 and have since had many Honda/Acura products in my garage. Decided to test drive all high end sedans including Acura, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti and Audi. Drove them all. I can afford any of them yet decided that the new 2012 style TL was the best of the lot regardless of price. BMW overpriced and for the poseur - not all that. Audi was gutless like the Mercedes, Infiniti & Lexus quality second rate to the Acura. Best dollar for dollar car purchase I've ever made. Awesome!!

Awesome Bang for the buck (But miss my BMW)
By e60535i on 09/09/11 13:29 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Advance Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the TL Advance in 7/2011 after I saw some great financing deals. I had a VW Jetta TDI, which was awesome, but just uncomfortable for my 30 plus mile drive to and from work 5 days per week. Is this my dream car...no. But, it is a terrific bang for the buck and I am fortunate enough to afford such a great vehicle. I love the body style, power, gas mileage and all of the wonderful technology. However, the shift paddles and sport transmission are not what I expected. I have owned a BMW 335i, and 535i, which were very expensive, but had awesome handling, smooooth transmission, and effortless maneuverability.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Acura TL in NJ is:

$248 per month*