2012 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Great value for your money
By edross22 on 09/10/14 13:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Advance Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the 2012 TL with 14,000 miles on it. And it has really been fun to drive. Like other people mentioned i paid $32,300 plus tax for this car. I was looking for the new accord V6 Touring full loaded and after seating on the car and feeling how cheap the interior was. Everything is plastic, leather doesn't feel like real leather. I decided to take a look of the TL and decided rather to have a used TL than a brand new Honda Accord. The TL is more luxury, nicer interior and way more powerful. I will definitely recommend it this car. Average mile per gallon right now in mix driving 23 miles/gallon..

owned since April '12
By enbeuu on 06/24/14 18:15 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Technology Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

great TL and best Acura owned since Legend Coupe which wasn't close to this model in drivability and comfort. blind spot is horrible and side view cam is a must for this model Rear cam is wonderful.

Great all around
By josh9319 on 03/15/14 12:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

In general we are extremely happy with this vehicle. We've had it for a year and a half. Build quality has been very sound, as expected. For example: a rock broke one of the fog lights. I bought the replacement and installed it myself. The underbody panels were effectively woven together requiring me to loosen three panels to get one out to install the light. The vehicle is designed and built to not come apart. When alone I drive the car very hard, as in like I stole it. Though the front/rear torque split is 70/30, getting the back end to step out is surprisingly easy. That said, it is great for hauling kids, or for date night. My mood improves every time I drive this car!

Not bad, but needs improvements
By 71peters on 09/17/13 19:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my 2012 TL for a year now. I bought it as a CPO for $28K...4K miles on it. I traded in a BMW 328I. Ok, it is a nice car with a lot of options. The interior is nice and very modern. Been on a few long trips and it is very comfortable. Where I have issues is with it's performance. Two things right off the bat, 1) The transmission, second gear to be exact seems sluggish on take off. It really drags the the engine down and makes for a jerky ride. Granted, coming from a BMW...the Acura's performance is not even close. But it makes up for it in other areas. 2) The steering is not sport-tuned and you will feel torque-steer if you get in the gas. Feels like a Buick at times.

tech package overkill
By tomtrav1 on 02/19/13 11:49 AM (PST)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Technology Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

this is our 3rd acura and we are pleased overall.smooth and quiet,handles well.

Too many problems in 1 year
By kway on 02/13/13 12:58 PM (PST)

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

During the year I have had this car, I have had to have the battery, navigation system, stability, push ignition, and a bearing replaced. Acura's response, there is nothing they can do. This is not what I expected from a brand new car. Additionally, the car does not sense when my mom is in the passenger seat. She weighs 130 lbs. this is a big safety concern. I would not Uyi this car!!!

Clunking noise from Rear Suspension
By lex612 on 02/06/13 10:40 AM (PST)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Technology Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Loud "CLUNKING NOISE" came from passenger side rear suspension. It got louder as the car getting more miles on it. Took it in four times at the local dealer: 1st Attempt: Local dealer changed the strut but noise still there, 2nd Attempt: acura agent came in to verify the problem and took the entire assembly rear suspension apart and found nothing wrong with it but the noise still present so they concluded that it is a normal noise on the TL (Which I don't agree because only one corner of the car is making the noise, left rear suspension is nice and quiet when ride over bump) 3rd attempt: Service manager refused service because he told me that Acura is will not fix the "clunking noise" because they think it is a normal sound. 4th attempt: I took the car to a small local shop which is not Acura and some mechanic friends to check out the noises that I am hear from the one corner of the car (passenger rear suspension). They all confirmed the noise is an irregularity of a suspension and suspected something is wrong with the strut and it assembly/bushing but inconclusive with the problem because it could be many things that can go wrong with it and recommended me to bring it back to Acura. Acura refused service again and said the same thing like the 3rd attempt. File a claim with BBB and the same Acura Claim representative that I dealt with earlier said the same thing again, that they will not fix anything regarding the clunking noise I hear because they think it is normal. My opinion: This is an Acura and it is over $40,000 dollars car so I expected a nice quiet and comfortable car but the "Clunking noise" really killed my excitement about owning this car. Just a headeache everytime I look or drive it. I am definately upset with Acura about how they handle this situation because they did not offer me any solution but they basically tell me live with the "clunking noise" from that one corner of the car. and if the noise was normal, Acura mechanic wouldn't have change the strut the 1st time I brought it in...Why is Acura doing this?? and How can I get them to fix the problem I am having now, can anyone help? my frustration with Acura is to the roof now and hope to get this handle the sooner the better.

Excellent car!
By numberjack on 02/02/13 17:02 PM (PST)

2012 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Technology Package (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Very happy with this car. Excellent luxury car for a regular car price. Paid $32.7K + tax for TL Tech. I've had it for 8k miles now and it's been great! Absolutely no problems at all. Plenty of power, smooth, quiet, handles well, very comfortable seats, Amazing stereo system!! Decent gas mileage for a mid sized luxury car, averaging 25 mpg overall in mixed driving; 28+ on long road trips. This is an excellent car for this price range. I paid about what a fully loaded accord/camry/altima would have cost, but got a much nicer & sportier luxury car instead. No complaints whatsoever!

GREAT CAR, ESPECIALLY FOR THE PRICE!!!
By mbessette on 01/05/13 11:59 AM (PST)

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/Advance Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2008 Range Rover Supercharged for this car and it drives just as good if not better than the Range. Also has better electronic features, reliability, and cost a third of the price. Overall just a good quality car very happy with it!!!! P.S the AWD handled better than any other i have driving and i also drove a Subaru and an infiniti in the past

Sports car for the family man/woman
By acuratloh on 12/27/12 12:13 PM (PST)

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Owned the car for a few months, so it's hard to rate the reliability. It's made by Honda, so it should be reliable. Once you drive the AWD version, you would have to be crazy to buy the front wheel drive version. I didn't get the tech version because I didn't want the navigation system. Built in ipod connection and usb port is nice. This car handles like it's on rails. I no longer have to worry about pulling out onto a busy road when the roads are wet, this car flies. I get 26mpg if I drive freeway only at 75mph. I drive 70% city and 30% highways and average around 21mpg. Test drove the infiniti g37x, which was nice, but much smaller interior.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Acura TL in VA is:

$149 per month*