Used 2008 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2008 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

08 TL Type S
By Happy Type S owner

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my TL-S for a year and a half and have 13K miles on it. Overall a great car. I get 19-20 in the city and 30-32 on the highway at 72 MPH. Good suspension and great surround sound. Minor issues: fold down rear seat would be good, the trunk is so well finished there is no point to tie it down. Rain rolls off the roof onto the driver's seat when you open the door. No good CD case holder in the car. Passenger seat height adjustment would be nice. As you can see my issues are minor. I got 86 more HP than my 01 Accord for the price of 91 octane and with no real mileage penalty. Had considered a G35 but did not want RWD in the snow and the MPG was much higher for the Acura.

Favorite Features

"looks", wheels, sound system, handling, ride, MPG, "sleeper" category, resale value

Suggested Improvements

Height adjustable passenger seat, rain gutters in door jam, CD holder in console.

Excellent - At Any Price
By spotty

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I let past reviews guide me, and I'm not sorry I did. I wanted a well-made sports sedan at a reasonable price that was fun to drive and that I wasn't having repaired every six months. And that is exactly what I got. I couldn't be happier. Every time I drive this car I feel I made the right decision. Having had German and American cars in the past, I was tired of the German repairs and the lack of American build-quality. While the exterior styling doesn't compare to BMW or Audi, I spend most of the time inside the car - not standing on the street looking at it, and when you're inside driving the car, you're thoroughly impressed. By far the best value for the money in this segment.

Favorite Features

Interior fit & finish, best Navigation on the market, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Larger fuel tank, exterior styling (new ones are no improvement) - hire some Audi designers.

Best of its class
By stoney

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I researched this car at length while also considering the Lexus IS 350, BMW 3 series and the Infiniti G. This car definitely represents the best combination of size, comfort, sportiness and value for the $$. Like a previous post I too was at first disappointed by the car's jerky transmission, however after a few months of ownership this car's drive seemed to transform (or I got more accustomed) to very smooth, fun car to drive. After testing both the standard TL and the Type S, without question the Type S is a vastly superior automobile and is worth the extra two or three grand.

Favorite Features

Speed, Balance of size, sportiness, comfort and value (especially when compared to competitors.) Nav System, Sound System (even the bizarre tape player, I can now play my '80's tapes!)

Suggested Improvements

The cars turning radius is ridiculously bad. Gas mileage could be better.

Overall great Car
By Sue

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Looked at Lexus and Infinity. Acura gave more for the money. Love the carbon bronze color and wood grain details. Handles well. Loved not having to decide which options to pick since many were already included. Heated seats warm up quickly. Good pick-up. Get 32 mpg on hwy. Heavy doors. Such a solid car.

Favorite Features

Heated seats are wonderful. The navigation is simple to use and comes in handy. Use it more than I ever thought I would.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are short and hard. A/C and heat vents are not very powerful. Passenger's seat does not raise up and seems to ride low.

Great value for the money
By Brad

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my TL-S in July 2008 after seeing the spy pictures of the 2009 models. So far I have 7,500 miles on the car and it has been flawless. The 3.5L makes this car a sleeper, it's plenty fast for me. I shopped the G35, Lexus IS350 and BMW 3 Series before buying the Acura. The nice part about the car is the value for the money, this car comes loaded. With Lexus, BMW and Infiniti the options are expensive and add up quickly. An IS350 with the same equipment as this car stickered at over $45k, same with BMW. I was able to purchase my TL-S for $33k, that was $5,800 off the sticker. Was able to get a good deal with the ugly 2009's ready to hit the market.

Favorite Features

The interior is much more roomy than competitors models. The Lexus IS was just to small and cramped, I am 6" and it felt like a clown car to me, same deal with the BMW 3 Series. The navigation Acura uses is the best in the business, very user friendly and accurate. The exterior is dead sexy.

Suggested Improvements

The Michelin all seasons that come on the car are HORRIBLE in the snow, pretty much useless. If you live in a area that gets some of the white stuff, you'll need to change the tires. The front end, because of the design, picks up a lot of rock chips, so I'd try to get a clear bra for the front.