Used 2008 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2008 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Very Displeased with Acura
By dissapacuraownr

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I Purchased my new 2008 Acura Tl in July of 08. Loved the design and features. First issue with car - tire vibration at 50-60 mph. Performance Acura could not fix. Said it is normal for the car to shimmy. 3000k developed a timing belt chirp/chatter at idle. Acura service bulletin for timing belt issue -kept car for 2 weeks -did not fix noise. Now a 18000k still have timing belt noise now with loud whine during acceleration above 3k rpm. After 1 year of ownership dashboard has faded light grey/whitish from black. Hesitates in hot weather. Full of rattles. Have met Acura regional rep - no resolve. They do their best to ignore me. Warranty is useless.

Favorite Features

Navigation, Audio, Style

Suggested Improvements

Engine without major design flaw. They know they have a timing belt issue that a Acura Service bulletin does not always fix. Once they know it can't be fixed they tell you its not a problem and ignore you. Fit and finish is poor compared to the last 2 acuras I owned.

Not pretty, not bad, just ok
By jfinley

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Not bad is as good as this car gets. I love the ride and features for the money. The gas mileage is great. Unfortunately, I have an electrical problem that seems to be undiagnosable and continues to plague my car. The torque steering is an issue with this car, but overcome with a little driving skill. I would prefer folding rear seats and better tires form the manufacturer, but pretty average overall. However, the value compared to its competition, was amazing. Many features for the money.

Favorite Features

sound system, heated seats, auto windows

Suggested Improvements

Folding rear seat, better tires and electric start.

Excellent - At Any Price
By spotty

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I let past reviews guide me, and I'm not sorry I did. I wanted a well-made sports sedan at a reasonable price that was fun to drive and that I wasn't having repaired every six months. And that is exactly what I got. I couldn't be happier. Every time I drive this car I feel I made the right decision. Having had German and American cars in the past, I was tired of the German repairs and the lack of American build-quality. While the exterior styling doesn't compare to BMW or Audi, I spend most of the time inside the car - not standing on the street looking at it, and when you're inside driving the car, you're thoroughly impressed. By far the best value for the money in this segment.

Favorite Features

Interior fit & finish, best Navigation on the market, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Larger fuel tank, exterior styling (new ones are no improvement) - hire some Audi designers.

Best of its class
By stoney

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I researched this car at length while also considering the Lexus IS 350, BMW 3 series and the Infiniti G. This car definitely represents the best combination of size, comfort, sportiness and value for the $$. Like a previous post I too was at first disappointed by the car's jerky transmission, however after a few months of ownership this car's drive seemed to transform (or I got more accustomed) to very smooth, fun car to drive. After testing both the standard TL and the Type S, without question the Type S is a vastly superior automobile and is worth the extra two or three grand.

Favorite Features

Speed, Balance of size, sportiness, comfort and value (especially when compared to competitors.) Nav System, Sound System (even the bizarre tape player, I can now play my '80's tapes!)

Suggested Improvements

The cars turning radius is ridiculously bad. Gas mileage could be better.

Overall great Car
By Sue

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Looked at Lexus and Infinity. Acura gave more for the money. Love the carbon bronze color and wood grain details. Handles well. Loved not having to decide which options to pick since many were already included. Heated seats warm up quickly. Good pick-up. Get 32 mpg on hwy. Heavy doors. Such a solid car.

Favorite Features

Heated seats are wonderful. The navigation is simple to use and comes in handy. Use it more than I ever thought I would.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are short and hard. A/C and heat vents are not very powerful. Passenger's seat does not raise up and seems to ride low.