Used 2008 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2008 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Expected better!
By Bae

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drove 1993 Honda Accord LX Coupe for 15 years, 400,000 miles. and I traded in for this '08 Acura TL. I really liked the accord and it gave me no pain. But this TL has been proven to be a Rattle box. It makes rattling sound almost everywhere. I went in to the dealer about 4 times in one month starting 2 days after purchasing the car and stayed at the dealer for 2 weeks total in the first month. The first, sunroof problems and engine check light on and drive light blinking not shifting from 3rd to 4th gear, etc. It wasted a lot of my time and gave me so much stress. And all they gave me was the extended warranty. After the first month, I had to keep going back to dealer

Favorite Features

Smooth acceleration when the RPM is over 2500. Design.

Suggested Improvements

Acura has to improve build quality on this car. The finish is the worst. (Body line is off, get rid of rattling sounds), has to improve power at low RPM under 2000. Customer service. leather quality. Overall build quality is the POOREST!

Incredible Sport/Lux Value
By Glenn

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Acura and I am impressed. I especially like the exterior styling. I can't walk away from the car without looking back at it. The interior is well designed and has the look of understated elegance. The extra benefit so far has been the incredible highway mileage. I have been experiencing 32-34 mpg on our long TX highways traveling between 70 and 80 mpg. This was better than I expected and much appreciated in a car this size. Also, I was not a audiophile until i bought this car. Excellent CD/XM experience. I recently compared TL to the BMW5, MBE, Lexus ES and VolvoS80. Surprisingly the TL has the same proportions as all with lower total costs. Reliability & VAlue!!

Favorite Features

Car looks good from headlights to tailpipes, interior comfort and elegance. Fairly quiet ride, depends on road surface, fuel economy, expected Acura reliability without the high end German made upkeep, rear ac vents, interior blue lights,hands free phone and low overall ownership costs.

Suggested Improvements

Front doors can be difficult to keep open when exiting.

2008 Acura TL Type S
By Bill

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan w/High-Performance Tires (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Car is beautiful in black with factory chrome wheels and all optional body ground effects. VeRy fast, with paddle shifters (fun). I have 40 series tires which ride very harsh. Gas mileage is great on highway 28-30 and around 17-20 local. Car handles great and audio system is outstanding. Many voice operated controls that take time to learn, but worth it! Bluetooth phone system is outstanding.

Favorite Features

Paddle shifters, combination of good gas mileage with great power. Love the 4 chrome exhaust outlets... really sells this model!! Love the navigation system that is easy to use. Very comfortable for 4 adults and easy to get in and out.

Suggested Improvements

All wheel drive to remove torque steer in 1st gear and could appeal to snow belt drivers. Fold down rear seats.

Very Good Value Luxury Car
By bychucky

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After 3 months 10,000+ miles, I am very pleased to say that the Acura TL is a very solid, reliable, and overall good car to purchase. The ride is quiet and smooth, with no problems merging on the highway. Plenty of comfortable interior space, and controls and well laid out and easy to understand. Fit and finish in the interior is excellent. Very good sound system. A lot more standard features for the money compared to other cars in its class. I was surprisingly pleased with the gas mileage for a V6 engine--city and highway averages about 25 MPG.

Favorite Features

Smooth V6 acceleration, gas mileage, solid exterior and interior design, sound system with surround.

Suggested Improvements

SH-AWD like the newer Acuras, push button start, perhaps standard 18 inch wheels.

'08 Acura TL-S
By dennis olson

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I looked at several vehicles (Infiniti G35, Audi A4) before we decided on the Acura TL-S. My wife didn't like the others. I wanted performance - sporty handling and 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. The Acura's engine is very smooth with enough power. The handling is excellent - sporty but not stiff, slight understeer. Shifting is precise - I really love the shift paddles. The nav. system is easy to use with a big screen and many features. It's just really fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine. Precise shifting and handling. Shift paddles on steering wheel. Nav. system.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic tilt steering wheel. Of course more horsepower even though 286 HP is surprisingly fast in the Acura.