2008 Acura TL Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Italian Styling + Japanese Reliability
By CarAddict on 11/26/09 14:11 PM (PST)

2008 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

In addition to Honda's reliability, the other main reason why I bought this car is that I think Honda really did a great job styling the exterior of the TL. I really like the beautiful styling touches such as the character lines that run across the sides of the car. The 2008 TL styling is elegant and understated, unlike the new 2009 TL which I thought is too loud for my taste with the oversized grill in the front and chrome strip on the trunk. However, the sleek styling does result in poor rearward visibility for the TL. Having driven a Acura Integra for the last 20 years, this is probably the biggest thing I have to adopt in my new TL. Both the B and the C pillars on the TL are very wide!

Solid Car
By mtlpa on 07/22/09 10:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Basically bought this car from the inside out. Compared to 330i, Audi A4 and felt the TL was a better value and much more spacious. After a year there have been no defects to speak of, so quite satisfied with build quality. Performance is quite good although torque steer is evident under hard acceleration. Ergonomics are excellent and runs fantastic on the highway. Manual mode transmission is a little disappointing as it does not force the transmission into quicker gear shifts.

08 TL Type S
By Happy Type S owner on 07/14/09 10:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my TL-S for a year and a half and have 13K miles on it. Overall a great car. I get 19-20 in the city and 30-32 on the highway at 72 MPH. Good suspension and great surround sound. Minor issues: fold down rear seat would be good, the trunk is so well finished there is no point to tie it down. Rain rolls off the roof onto the driver's seat when you open the door. No good CD case holder in the car. Passenger seat height adjustment would be nice. As you can see my issues are minor. I got 86 more HP than my 01 Accord for the price of 91 octane and with no real mileage penalty. Had considered a G35 but did not want RWD in the snow and the MPG was much higher for the Acura.

Great value for the money
By Brad on 05/24/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my TL-S in July 2008 after seeing the spy pictures of the 2009 models. So far I have 7,500 miles on the car and it has been flawless. The 3.5L makes this car a sleeper, it's plenty fast for me. I shopped the G35, Lexus IS350 and BMW 3 Series before buying the Acura. The nice part about the car is the value for the money, this car comes loaded. With Lexus, BMW and Infiniti the options are expensive and add up quickly. An IS350 with the same equipment as this car stickered at over $45k, same with BMW. I was able to purchase my TL-S for $33k, that was $5,800 off the sticker. Was able to get a good deal with the ugly 2009's ready to hit the market.

Stayed with the Honda family of cars
By Mike on 03/23/09 17:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

It came down to this car or a BMW 3-Series and I'm glad I chose the Acura. It has excellent performance and handles well. Interior features are great and the body style is sleek. Previously owned a Civic so I know this car is dependable.

Break it In
By !AHA! on 03/03/09 21:49 PM (PST)

2008 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I first got my Type-S, I was disappointed: the transmission felt jerky, the tires squealed readily during cornering and hard acceleration, and to top it off I bought an AUTO, which was all they had left. About three months later, the car literally transformed: the transmission was silky smooth, the handling was snappy and nimble, and there wasn't any real torque steer or understeer to deal with. It was still an auto, but that went well with the enormous number of luxury features. I can cruise in comfort and in style, or I can rip through the woods and destroy a Mitsubishi Eclipse at a stoplight. Either way, I'm no longer disappointed.

Graduating through the Honda line
By john on 01/26/09 07:06 AM (PST)

2008 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my first civic in 85 and have owned a prelude, odessey and had been driving a 98 Accord with 172K miles. I thought it was time to continue with my Honda loyalty until they give me a reason not to, so I stepped up in class and bought the 08 TL in October. After 4 months, I have been very happy with this car. It looks plain from the outside, but is loaded with features. I would recommend it to anyone who wants high- performance, luxury and value.

Glad I did not wait for 2009 TL
By Blah Blah on 01/04/09 08:16 AM (PST)

2008 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Love the car! Midnight Black with dark interior and 6-speed. This card flies and is a blast to drive. Love the standard gadgets. This makes the buying experience very easy.

2008 TL-S First Impressions
By JVC on 11/19/08 08:09 AM (PST)

2008 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2008 TL-S in late October. I was looking for a sporty design with a smart interior. The TL-S also had more room than my 2007 BMW 328xi. I have owned the Infinity 235 and find that its interior does not match up to the TL-S. I love the wheels, the ELS sound system and the whole exterior look. I know it may be tired but it is classic. I looked at the 2009 but was not impressed by the design. I also received a great deal on the year end model. I traded-in a 2007 Saab Convertible. Acura makes buying very easy because there are only two trim levels. The competitors make you pay for every feature.

Quiet Confidence/ Lovin every minute!!
By Dookie on 11/10/08 06:58 AM (PST)

2008 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan w/High-Performance Tires (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded 94 Legend for the Carbon Bronze 2008 TL/S. The TL/S same or better features than Niss/BMW for less $$. The 3.5 gets the TL/S moving quickly & oversize brakes offer smooth braking. Cruising at 70mph is the norm as one doesn't recognize the "speed" so pay attention. Quiet cabin, heated seats/mirrors, nav, XM, reverse cam, CD, DVD, smooth yet firm ride, great acceleration, takes curves like a slot-car. Speeds > 100mph, smooth & silky w/no vibration. Driving this auto since 12/2007, its once again FUN TO DRIVE! Absolutely love it!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.