Used 2008 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

8 years of reliability and comfort
By Jim Blair

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have really enjoyed my TL. nothing except routine maintenance and a timing belt which I replaced based on the manual's recommendation. Only issue is the bluetooth link went out and haven't wanted to spend the 350 to replace it. I highly recommend the car.

One great car
By AK

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

A few gremlins to prepare for.....
By first used acura for me

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Nice sized city car with ample power, high quality interior and attractive looks. Relatively quiet and comfortable. Bought used from Acura w/ 64k miles. Subsequent repairs/replacement that are endemic to this car as you'll learn on the internet. Purge value in the evap system, easy fix. O-rings on the hydraulic steering system (loud sound on cold mornings that goes away as engine warms, an easy fix). Hydraulic shocks/struts for the hood, easy fix. O2 sensors, a bit trickier fix. Check Youtube for demos on replacing these items and save big, big bucks over expensive Acura dealers. The nav system is not intuitive and if it has the original DVD, you'll pay like $170 for an upgrade that is, unfortunately, probably worth it. The upgrade has all U.S. major roads and city streets. The original only had 72 cities and was filled with irrelevant stuff like reviews of restaurants. Big diff. Do not tint the rear window or the nav won't be accurate............as it isn't in mine. Grrrr. Car holds value well, it appears, and I think that is because it is one of the best looking of the TL series plus Honda's reliability record which is best with their 4 cylinder jobs, not six cylinders. Mostly satisfied but would be happier if some of the components were more durable and the Acura dealers only charged an arm instead of an arm and a leg.

A great used choice
By edechazal

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a clean 2008 TL auto with navigation 6 weeks ago.
It's a wonderful car.
I'm a "car guy" but no longer a boy-racer since I'm in my 40's.
I appreciate refinement and pieces that work well together.
This car delivers in most areas.

The first test drive sold me on the car's feel and driving dynamics.
I'm 5' 11" and the car fits me like a glove.
I like the view from the driver's seat, the powertrain's responsiveness and the look of the tan leather interior.
I also test drove the redesigned 2009 model and definitely prefer the 2008 since it fits better.
Piece of advice:
be ready to spring for a new set of Michelins when you buy.
Fresh tires clean up lots of problems.

The engine and transmission are fabulous. They work very well together and give you the closest thing to the sports car experience you will get this side of a manual transmission. The engine sound is great, even at idle. A slight engine growl comes up through the steering wheel letting you know the car is ready to take on the road. Shifts are very smooth and immediate unlike many other cars that seem to lag. I rarely feel any torque steer and feel this criticism is unjustified. In fact, the front drive system is an asset in Michigan since it will do better in snow. The sound system is as good everybody says. The switchgear is nice and quality is evident throughout.

There are only 2 areas preventing this car from being perfect in my book: The Bluetooth system and the ride quality. The Bluetooth system is a bit clumsy with my phone. You have to realize there are 2 phonebooks, one that is your phone download and one that resides in the car itself. Your ability to voice dial depends on where exactly your contact resides. The manual is not clear in this area. The ride is a bit harsh in my view. You get used to it but when I drive another car, I find myself relaxing a bit more. The TL's ride is the price you pay for razor sharp handling and a great connected feel to the road. Test drive the car before you buy.

Purchased as CPO with 66,000 miles
By bonaircarguy

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have put over 11,000 miles on my TL so far, and have had zero issues with it; unlike Volvo's which I had owned before it. It is white diamond with camel interior. My only problem with this type of leather is if you do not condition and clean it often it will discolor and crack (I do clean and condition it weekly). Other than that, the interior is in excellent condition. I do a lot of highway driving and will normally get around 30-31 MPG if the speed control is used and stays around 65-70. Average per tank is 23 - 25, and I have a lead foot. I highly recommend this car if you are in the market for a sporty fast sedan! I picked it over Mercedes, Infiniti and Audi.

Navigation, sound system, bluetooth, ambient lighting, HID headlights, sportshift transmission.

Improve leather quality. Add height adjustment to passenger seat.