Used 2008 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2008 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

A great used choice
By edechazal

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a clean 2008 TL auto with navigation 6 weeks ago. It's a wonderful car. I'm a "car guy" but no longer a boy-racer since I'm in my 40's. I appreciate refinement and pieces that work well together. This car delivers in most areas. The first test drive sold me on the car's feel and driving dynamics. I'm 5' 11" and the car fits me like a glove. I like the view from the driver's seat, the powertrain's responsiveness and the look of the tan leather interior. I also test drove the redesigned 2009 model and definitely prefer the 2008 since it fits better. Piece of advice: be ready to spring for a new set of Michelins when you buy. Fresh tires clean up lots of problems.

Favorite Features

The engine and transmission are fabulous. They work very well together and give you the closest thing to the sports car experience you will get this side of a manual transmission. The engine sound is great, even at idle. A slight engine growl comes up through the steering wheel letting you know the car is ready to take on the road. Shifts are very smooth and immediate unlike many other cars that seem to lag. I rarely feel any torque steer and feel this criticism is unjustified. In fact, the front drive system is an asset in Michigan since it will do better in snow. The sound system is as good everybody says. The switchgear is nice and quality is evident throughout.

Suggested Improvements

There are only 2 areas preventing this car from being perfect in my book: The Bluetooth system and the ride quality. The Bluetooth system is a bit clumsy with my phone. You have to realize there are 2 phonebooks, one that is your phone download and one that resides in the car itself. Your ability to voice dial depends on where exactly your contact resides. The manual is not clear in this area. The ride is a bit harsh in my view. You get used to it but when I drive another car, I find myself relaxing a bit more. The TL's ride is the price you pay for razor sharp handling and a great connected feel to the road. Test drive the car before you buy.

Purchased as CPO with 66,000 miles
By bonaircarguy

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have put over 11,000 miles on my TL so far, and have had zero issues with it; unlike Volvo's which I had owned before it. It is white diamond with camel interior. My only problem with this type of leather is if you do not condition and clean it often it will discolor and crack (I do clean and condition it weekly). Other than that, the interior is in excellent condition. I do a lot of highway driving and will normally get around 30-31 MPG if the speed control is used and stays around 65-70. Average per tank is 23 - 25, and I have a lead foot. I highly recommend this car if you are in the market for a sporty fast sedan! I picked it over Mercedes, Infiniti and Audi.

Favorite Features

Navigation, sound system, bluetooth, ambient lighting, HID headlights, sportshift transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Improve leather quality. Add height adjustment to passenger seat.

3rd timies a charm.
By jimrobertson

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Third TL in 12 years. 1st a 2000, loved it, got crushed by a semi. 2nd a 04, got crushed by a F-350, and a teenage driver. Both times the passengers exited without a scratch. Both times, we purchased something else, Lexus RX330, junk-ola, crap mpg, BMW 330Ci, great fun, even while draining the wallet, VW new Beetle, huge inside but no power. Back in a 2008 TL and it is by far the best of the best. Could use a little more power, but super smooth and great mpg for a roomy sedan that I drive way too fast. I hope I can keep this one forever.

Favorite Features

seating sound system handleing build quality relibility low cost maintenance

Suggested Improvements

seems to eat front tires? give them away free.

Best entry level luxury/sports sedan!
By mik18

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent handling for a FWD sedan.Sticks to the corners like glue.Totally satisfied with the purchase. Car looks great, drives awesome and has a lot of technology at a very fair price when compared to other cars in the entry level sports sedan market. Trip from NJ to Ohio and back, twice and averaged 30MPG at 70-75 mph. One gripe about the car is the leather sucks.Seat absorbs the color of my pant !! never had this issue with my old BMW.

Favorite Features

ELS Sound system, Navigation and ambient footwell lighting.

Suggested Improvements

1.Acura must learn how to make good leather seats from BMW/MB. 2.Make push button start standard.

Happy Acura TL owner
By riphraph

2008 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

No manufacturer has yet to build the perfect car (or everyone would drive that one car) but the Acura TL line comes close in the important categories. Best in safety, styling and reliability. Am impressed with the luxury. Seems like most of the displeasure on the sites deal with issues with uncooperative dealerships. Hint. You can go to the Honda dealers for service if needed. Have been getting 23 - 24 mph. Solidly built. Smart engineering, sensible appointments, solid door gaps. It's a Honda after all. Low cost to own when compared to similar cars (Lexus IS350 and Infiniti G37 - try getting same upgrades for same $$) or BMW 323i (expensive to own)Front wheel drive takes some getting used to

Favorite Features

Sensible and functional Navi system. Large trunk, good leg room. Engine has plenty of power. Sleek styling. great upgrades for simple price point. Never fails to impress people who are sitting in an Acura for the first time. Styled for people who want a relationship with their cars. Good leg room in back seats. All dash and Navi controls make sense to me.

Suggested Improvements

TL's gas pedal seems tight. Steering can be tricky if you aren't used to it. Curb weight might be too heavy. Interior lighting could be better. Nothing a LCD bulb upgrade can't fix though. Do I really need a cassette player?