2008 Acura TL Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2008 TL Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Sort Reviews by

3rd timies a charm.
By jimrobertson

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Third TL in 12 years. 1st a 2000, loved it, got crushed by a semi. 2nd a 04, got crushed by a F-350, and a teenage driver. Both times the passengers exited without a scratch. Both times, we purchased something else, Lexus RX330, junk-ola, crap mpg, BMW 330Ci, great fun, even while draining the wallet, VW new Beetle, huge inside but no power. Back in a 2008 TL and it is by far the best of the best. Could use a little more power, but super smooth and great mpg for a roomy sedan that I drive way too fast. I hope I can keep this one forever.

Favorite Features

seating sound system handleing build quality relibility low cost maintenance

Suggested Improvements

seems to eat front tires? give them away free.

Will miss it
By fav920

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My lease is ending after 3yrs of ownership and I am sorry to see it go. I have considered buying it out, but I will be out of warranty. I have been searching for a CPO with low miles to purchase. I did not have ONE bad experience with this car, and although the new style is growing on me, the '08 is much nicer. Great looking, sporty driving, and 50,000 miles without having to replace brakes and/or tires! Thanks, Acura...

Favorite Features

Looks, fit and finish, paint quality, sportiness, ELS audio

Suggested Improvements

IPOD jack easier to reach, regular fuel please

2008 base TL
By David

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I owned Acura TL 2008 new. Currently, it has 51300 miles and the check engine on. Brought to dealer (Open road acura on route 18 East Brunswick, NJ) they found codes:P0701 and P0704, cleared codes. After 24 h, the light is on again. I bought an OBD device checked with codes: P0300, P0301, P0304, P0306, P0701 and P0704. How could the dealer tech. missed these codes? The car have been at dealer since Nov. 10, 2010 and now Nov. 22, 2010. The car have not been fixed. Dealer told me they contacted Acura tech. but no solution. Acura tech couldn’t solved their on creation?

You can't go home again...
By ManyRegrets

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I fondly remember my 1989 Acura Legend, which I loved for 10 years. After years of other less expensive vehicles, I was excited to purchase a 2008 TL. After 3 months, the power steering & the carpet (from the leaking power steering fluid) had to be replaced. Since that time, it is very difficult to steer, especially when turning corners or backing out of parking spaces & the acceleration is disappointing. The dealership's service dept. maintains that it drives "beautifully", exactly the way a TL of its age should handle. My son's 2006 Accord with 100k miles handles better. I will trade it in as soon as I can afford to take the loss, but no more Acuras for me.

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

The door does not stay open unless it is pushed all the way out. If you don't make sure it's stable, then it will close back on your leg as you are trying to get out. This has happened to me and passengers several times.

Not pretty, not bad, just ok
By jfinley

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Not bad is as good as this car gets. I love the ride and features for the money. The gas mileage is great. Unfortunately, I have an electrical problem that seems to be undiagnosable and continues to plague my car. The torque steering is an issue with this car, but overcome with a little driving skill. I would prefer folding rear seats and better tires form the manufacturer, but pretty average overall. However, the value compared to its competition, was amazing. Many features for the money.

Favorite Features

sound system, heated seats, auto windows

Suggested Improvements

Folding rear seat, better tires and electric start.

It's a Honda
By John S

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Moving from 6 years with 5-series BMWs to an Acura TL requires a major adjustment. The TL is a well-built auto with nice interior design and complementary touches. It's a bit light, and coupled with the regular skinny tires, provides a harsh, shaky ride over rough pavement. Go for the better tires. I don't agree completely with the car being described as having sporty handling, especially as a front-driver, as it pushes through the turns. But it does have good acceleration to get you safely on the highway, but at a cost in fuel economy (averaging 23 mpg overall). Sunroof operates nicely, but admits cool air in the winter with the shade open and roof closed.

Favorite Features

Car paint and interior finish is excellent. Seat positioning good. Controls OK, and Bluetooth compatible. Bright high intensity discharge headlights, with turn indicators on side view mirrors. Plenty of room in trunk for the clubs.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the tape player. Make XM radio channel selection easier. Design rear seats that fold down, not just a ski slot. Get rid of the cheap plastic - too many twittering noises. Have better tires standard. Needs steering wheel heaters, and a fatter wheel as well.

Great car so far...
By swobig

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 08 in March of 09 and have been pleased with it so far. Good car - does everything well, probably not the best in anything, but is very good at everything. Good power, handling, comfort and layout. Looked at a 09 Accord V6, but the layout and features of this 08 were much better. The styling of the 09 seems a little off to me, plus the price was much higher. The 08 is much more conservative, but classy. Happy with my purchase and would recommend - I don't have the rattles that some talk about although it takes some getting used to how the engine seems to brake when you let your foot off the gas instead of coasting like most cars do...

Favorite Features

Nice radio, handles very well, good layout of controls...

Suggested Improvements

Larger fuel tank, fold down back seat instead of just a small pass through, more low end torque...

all that
By Eric

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We just bought our TL and have come to love it! The performance and handling are just right for my driving habits (however bad they may be). Hopefully mister officer won't be around when I let her ponies run. The interior is pretty comfortable and well designed. We look forward to many years with this car.

Favorite Features

Love the gadgets. bluetooth, xm, and voice recognition. Also love the warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Agree with a previous post about the air temp, trip, etc., not being placed in the right spots.

Problems with Acura
By sjb7

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a new (25 miles on it) 2008 Acura TL in early December. After driving the car for two weeks and 2000 miles the cam shaft seized and required 20 days of repair time. Understanding that this is not common at all I asked Acura for a replacement and they tried to get me to agree to an extended warranty and to wash their hands of liability. Acura has been terrible to work with and this is my first and last Acura solely because of how I have been treated. If you are in the market for a new car please consider all your options and keep in mind that Acura will not help you if you are sold a car with problems.

Favorite Features

We love the looks of our Acura.

Suggested Improvements

Acura needs to consider customer service and appreciation. They do not care about you after you buy a car from them.

Value, Value, Value
By Scott

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I had an 2004, sold it and bought a 2008 after testing the 2009 TL which I liked but could not justify the $9,000 price difference. The 08 feels more sure footed and grippy compared to the 04 and their are better ergonomics inside.

Favorite Features

Like the interior lighting. ELS surround sound. Drive by wire acceleration. Simple controls.

Suggested Improvements

Would like some split fold rear seats. Better all season tires.