Used 2008 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

A few gremlins to prepare for.....
By first used acura for me

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Nice sized city car with ample power, high quality interior and attractive looks. Relatively quiet and comfortable. Bought used from Acura w/ 64k miles. Subsequent repairs/replacement that are endemic to this car as you'll learn on the internet. Purge value in the evap system, easy fix. O-rings on the hydraulic steering system (loud sound on cold mornings that goes away as engine warms, an easy fix). Hydraulic shocks/struts for the hood, easy fix. O2 sensors, a bit trickier fix. Check Youtube for demos on replacing these items and save big, big bucks over expensive Acura dealers. The nav system is not intuitive and if it has the original DVD, you'll pay like $170 for an upgrade that is, unfortunately, probably worth it. The upgrade has all U.S. major roads and city streets. The original only had 72 cities and was filled with irrelevant stuff like reviews of restaurants. Big diff. Do not tint the rear window or the nav won't be accurate............as it isn't in mine. Grrrr. Car holds value well, it appears, and I think that is because it is one of the best looking of the TL series plus Honda's reliability record which is best with their 4 cylinder jobs, not six cylinders. Mostly satisfied but would be happier if some of the components were more durable and the Acura dealers only charged an arm instead of an arm and a leg.

Excellent car all around
By Icu Nursing

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan w/High-Performance Tires (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car was an amazing buy. I couldn't have asked for anything more. It has just the right amount of luxury and sport. I drove my brother's TL for a month and absolutely fell in love with the Acura. The TL was perfect in everything besides for the power (preference). So I bought the type-s. If you plan to commute this car gets 33 mpg on freeway at 70mph when I'm not driving it hard. When you want to have fun it will take on most cars on the road (auto). If I planned to constantly race I would have looked for a manual which has much better drag performance (6speed). When I see other type-s owners on the road my eyes enjoy this vehicle's unmatched unique design.

Acura really took all their focus and effort into the Acura TL (S). The design is unbeatable up to date. The front wheel drive allows it to get very good gas mileage. Brembos help me slow down from 120 like nothing. Exhaust sounds very nice when I floor it. Car is very spacious. MUCH more comfortable than any other car. Reliability is Acura's number one priority.

Bring the type-s BACK!!!

A great used choice
By edechazal

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a clean 2008 TL auto with navigation 6 weeks ago. It's a wonderful car. I'm a "car guy" but no longer a boy-racer since I'm in my 40's. I appreciate refinement and pieces that work well together. This car delivers in most areas. The first test drive sold me on the car's feel and driving dynamics. I'm 5' 11" and the car fits me like a glove. I like the view from the driver's seat, the powertrain's responsiveness and the look of the tan leather interior. I also test drove the redesigned 2009 model and definitely prefer the 2008 since it fits better. Piece of advice: be ready to spring for a new set of Michelins when you buy. Fresh tires clean up lots of problems.

The engine and transmission are fabulous. They work very well together and give you the closest thing to the sports car experience you will get this side of a manual transmission. The engine sound is great, even at idle. A slight engine growl comes up through the steering wheel letting you know the car is ready to take on the road. Shifts are very smooth and immediate unlike many other cars that seem to lag. I rarely feel any torque steer and feel this criticism is unjustified. In fact, the front drive system is an asset in Michigan since it will do better in snow. The sound system is as good everybody says. The switchgear is nice and quality is evident throughout.

There are only 2 areas preventing this car from being perfect in my book: The Bluetooth system and the ride quality. The Bluetooth system is a bit clumsy with my phone. You have to realize there are 2 phonebooks, one that is your phone download and one that resides in the car itself. Your ability to voice dial depends on where exactly your contact resides. The manual is not clear in this area. The ride is a bit harsh in my view. You get used to it but when I drive another car, I find myself relaxing a bit more. The TL's ride is the price you pay for razor sharp handling and a great connected feel to the road. Test drive the car before you buy.

Purchased as CPO with 66,000 miles
By bonaircarguy

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have put over 11,000 miles on my TL so far, and have had zero issues with it; unlike Volvo's which I had owned before it. It is white diamond with camel interior. My only problem with this type of leather is if you do not condition and clean it often it will discolor and crack (I do clean and condition it weekly). Other than that, the interior is in excellent condition. I do a lot of highway driving and will normally get around 30-31 MPG if the speed control is used and stays around 65-70. Average per tank is 23 - 25, and I have a lead foot. I highly recommend this car if you are in the market for a sporty fast sedan! I picked it over Mercedes, Infiniti and Audi.

Navigation, sound system, bluetooth, ambient lighting, HID headlights, sportshift transmission.

Improve leather quality. Add height adjustment to passenger seat.

3rd timies a charm.
By jimrobertson

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Third TL in 12 years. 1st a 2000, loved it, got crushed by a semi. 2nd a 04, got crushed by a F-350, and a teenage driver. Both times the passengers exited without a scratch. Both times, we purchased something else, Lexus RX330, junk-ola, crap mpg, BMW 330Ci, great fun, even while draining the wallet, VW new Beetle, huge inside but no power. Back in a 2008 TL and it is by far the best of the best. Could use a little more power, but super smooth and great mpg for a roomy sedan that I drive way too fast. I hope I can keep this one forever.

seating sound system handleing build quality relibility low cost maintenance

seems to eat front tires? give them away free.