Used 2007 Acura TL Type-S Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Acura TL Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Fun but torquey
By Blackjack

2007 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Very reliable, fun and peppy car to drive. Nice stereo. The front end torque is something I really have to stay conscious of - I end up all over the road, squealing tires, if I try to gun it. Also, need to exchange low profile tires for winter tires (in New England) or I will not be able to navigate in the snow - I spent most of my first winter at the bottom of my driveway and I bent a $400 alloy rim. Goes out of alignment very easily (again, NE has pot holes). TL-S very close to ground, bottoming out can be an issue. I think I will keep it but get an SUV for winter.

horsepower - smooth ride on highway. sleek look, nice leather trim. Great dependability, great gas mileage for a 280 hp vehicle - I get 25, combined.

The trunk makes a cheap "clink" sound when you shut it. Rear defrost is useless. rain and condensation drips right in window if you open it. The intro navigation warning screen needs an override! Add rear seat heater and washer fluid low indicator. Add SMART KEY feature!

Luxury sporty sedan
By PeteD

2007 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having happily owned Hondas (including Civics, Accords, Passports,CR-Vs and S2000s) since 1985, I really was eager to enter the luxury sport sedan market. What a treat this car has been. It moves like it's on rails, accelerates quickly, moves accurately, wherever you point it. On lengthy trips, my wife is able to nap, leaving me to enjoy the driving experience. No problems, no complaints with the exception of the premium gas requirement which I was aware of from the beginning. "If you're gonna' play, ya gotta' pay."

Roomy interior, instrument layout, XM radio (my wife bought it for me for Christmas), acceleration, body fit and finish. Soft leather upholstery reminds me of my recliner at home and it has daylight-like headlight illumination. The car looks like it's moving, even when parked. Get out the chocks!

It looks like a number of other sport sedans on the market and many of them are more expensive. It seems as though the engineers and designers could get together and put the package into a totally distinct Acura body. This would sew up this market segment, until the competition was able to retool.

Happy Owner
By Nicolas in Montreal

2007 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Subtle sporty looks combined with a power-plant befitting Honda’s “no boring drives” slogan. The manufacturer’s strong credentials and this car’s appeal made me give-up my beloved Accord EX V6 (1998, good low-profile tires). With the Type-S, I got a faster, safer and more luxurious car. Normal driving is smooth, but floor it and WOW! Which brings me to the torque steer issue: not a problem unless you want a race car. I put the VSA (vehicle stability assist) system of the Type-S through a real-life test on an icy parking lot this winter, and at 80km it kept the car on track by activating alternatively the rear brakes when I steered heavily in an attempt to get it to skid. Canadian-winter approved!

Precise handling, comfortable seats (spouse's opinion too), strong headlights, reclining mirrors on reverse, 3.5 L V6 combined with paddle shifters, 10 months of ownership and no major hassle.

Free downloadable GPS content to self-burn on CD would be nice! Easier to access mp3 plug-in jack.

Beauty That's Only Skin Deep
By joelsaxton

2007 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Aside from the nice appearance, this car has been a grave disappointment. I test drove the TL on a nice flat road. But in the real world, when I am accelerating over an uneven surface, the wobbliness of front wheel drive become painfully apparent, especially with 286HP. I have had persistent issues with cabin noise - there are constant creaks when going over bumpy roads - it makes the car sound cheap. I had a defective starter which needed replacement. The nav system is not very smart. The tranny had issues with the 3rd gear that needed fixing. Most importantly, the 3.5L engine is prone to pinging.

Excellent appearance, both inside and out.

Add AWD, as FWD simply cannot handle nearly 300HP gracefully. Fix pinging problem instead of denying it exists. Fix the manual tranny 3rd gear problem. Improve stereo (woofer vibrates even at 70% volume). Nav system is quite stupid. Acura Corporate needs to be more honorable with their customers.

Best One Yet
By skyteddybear10

2007 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My third Type S and the best one to date, as a matter of fact it is the best car i have ever owned.

Blue tooth, navi and the engine sound

A little bigger back seatting area would be nice.