Used 2007 Acura TL Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Loving my Type-S!
By crivett246

2007 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Type-S for almost four months now and I'm loving it. Accelerates very fluidly and fast, with torque steer noticable only if you punch it. The interior design is really great and the gps is easy to use, but could be better on the last part of getting to your destination. The braking on it is also phenomenal. They're really grabby, but the brembo generate alot of dust and I'll probably switch them out when they wear. Overall, no regrets about my purchase.

Favorite Features

The design still looks pretty modern. I parked next to my friend's 2009 G37 and his looked its age while my could still pass for new at the showroom. The mpg on the freeway is pretty good. I got 34 once, but I average around 30. Not bad for 286 hp.

Suggested Improvements

Every time I hit a rough patch of road, I get a message saying "Tighten Fuel Cap". Apparently that's a normal thing according to the Acura Forums. Also, the Hands-Free Link doesn't work. And I know it's a minor gripe, but the trunk barely opens when you hit the button.

Acura Cutomer Service is unacceptable
By exacura1

2007 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Summer Tires (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2007 Acura TL type S a year ago for $20,000. We paid that much for a used car because we thought we were getting a quality product from a great company. Boy were we wrong. This summer the dashboard started to crack in two places. I has gotten larger throughout the summer. We found online that this is a very common issue for Acura TLs from 04 to 08. We called Acura to try to resolve the issue. It is obviously a design flaw on their part but they were not willing to help out at all. They told us that there was nothing they could do because we are not a 'loyal' acura customer. This is the 3rd Acura I have owned. I am not a loyal Acura customer. Don't buy an Acura!

Favorite Features

Any other auto maker would stand behind their product and fix their flawed design. Up until recently I have been a huge fan of Acura. I have convinced several of my friends, family, and acquaintances looking to buy a vehicle that Acura is the way to go. From now on I will do the opposite. I could have chosen from several brand new cars for $20,000, but instead I bought what I thought was a 'quality' used car. This will be the last Acura I own.

Suggested Improvements

All we wanted was for Acura to fix their crappy dashboard so we could go on being happy with our purchase. My wife drive's this car, I drive an Acura RSX (but I am not a 'loyal' Acura customer). She drives clients around on a regular basis. The dashboard crack is right in front of their face. They ask "How old is this car?" She replies "2007". They say "Wow, I thought Acura was a premium brand of automobile. I have a (insert year here), (insert make here), (insert model here), and the dash looks brand new." She replies "yes, we thought that too. Acura will not fix the issue, so we will not buy another one."

After 1 year with a Pre-Owned TL Type S
By tifosi27

2007 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased ours TL Type S Automatic 1 year ago with very low miles on it. It was essentially brand new and we got a very good deal. We are very pleased thus far. Ergonomics are very good, has adequate torque to pass cars on country roads and interstate travel. We knew the car would be a little more rough over roads as this has a more firm suspension then the base TL. Have taken the car in for all routine maintenance and had zero problems. Only issue is when the wife put a nasty curb rash into the front rim, but will get that fixed in the winter when I install the winter tires and rims.

Favorite Features

Very attractive car interior and exterior (granted looks are a personal preference). Voice recognition is great. Enjoy the dual zone climate control. Best feature is Honda reliability. No issues in 1 year.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic transmission could use some improvement. If driven spirited, the car seem to be searching for the right gear at times and has a lag when going to pass on the interstate or country road. Better programming and a 6th gear would help. Or better yet, get the stick! Only got the Automatic for the wife.

Tires and iPod connection
By George

2007 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Summer Tires (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Just would like to address those that complain about tires not lasting: in a sport-sedan don't expect sticky tires that hold the road last very long. Long-lasting tires will spin when you drive. iPod: for all of you 2007 TL owners: the iPod connection is in the middle compartment under your elbow, well hidden, just look for it. Not a good place, but it's there.

Suggested Improvements

iPod connection in a better place, rear-wheel drive, turbo-diesel option.

Honda can not fix the problem in 8 years
By Art

2007 Acura TL Type-S Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Car has same problem my other acura's This 2007, has had the same problem as my 1999 TL, which acura wrote up a service bulletin in 2003 about the poor engineering on the evp canister purge valve, which would take about 1 cent worth of S/steal to fix when making the car, or about $500 in an acura dealer. They still did not fix the problem by 2007, 4 years after service bulletin. Transmission. 6 speed manual, had same problem as my sons 2000 rxs with 3rd gear. again poor engineering same transmission. Acura does not correct their engineering problems in a timely. Neither of these problems I should have had in a 2007. Acura knew of the problems and the poor engineering since 2001

Favorite Features

Nice white paint.

Suggested Improvements

Inmrove the engineering group, change management who has delayed implementing changes from knowned field problems, Or find new customers. This is our last Acura.