Used 2007 Acura TL Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2007 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Honda can not fix the problem in 8 years
By Art

2007 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Car has same problem my other acura's This 2007, has had the same problem as my 1999 TL, which acura wrote up a service bulletin in 2003 about the poor engineering on the evp canister purge valve, which would take about 1 cent worth of S/steal to fix when making the car, or about $500 in an acura dealer. They still did not fix the problem by 2007, 4 years after service bulletin. Transmission. 6 speed manual, had same problem as my sons 2000 rxs with 3rd gear. again poor engineering same transmission. Acura does not correct their engineering problems in a timely. Neither of these problems I should have had in a 2007. Acura knew of the problems and the poor engineering since 2001

Favorite Features

Nice white paint.

Suggested Improvements

Inmrove the engineering group, change management who has delayed implementing changes from knowned field problems, Or find new customers. This is our last Acura.

Acura Quality is Questionable
By SteelRing

2007 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Just finished my last payment so I will say this about my first wholly owned car: it's an excellent drive but it's far from perfect in terms of quality. First there is the 3rd gear problem affecting many models of manual transmission (both Honda and Acura). The battery has died twice, the passenger power window had problems going up, driver seat back cover came lose and some gaskets and weather seals have been replaced. The only good thing is that all was covered under warranty although the dealer still gouged me with their various xxK mile service, etc, which is not cheap. Still, it was engineered very well and so much better looking than the latest TL and way better feel.

Favorite Features

Rack and Pinion Steering, top of the line Sound System, Great Mileage for the power (24 MPG average), Superb Interior with carbon fiber trimming and all hard buttons for most functions laid out intuitively instead of i-drive style control. Excellent handling when coupled with good tires.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth handsfree voice control is a real PITA, they should made an on-screen menu for some functions as an option. Cabin noise is arguably very bad for any modern car in the last decade. LCD screen is fairly low resolution and looking very amateur. DVD update cost more than a brand new GPS unit.

Fun but torquey
By Blackjack

2007 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Very reliable, fun and peppy car to drive. Nice stereo. The front end torque is something I really have to stay conscious of - I end up all over the road, squealing tires, if I try to gun it. Also, need to exchange low profile tires for winter tires (in New England) or I will not be able to navigate in the snow - I spent most of my first winter at the bottom of my driveway and I bent a $400 alloy rim. Goes out of alignment very easily (again, NE has pot holes). TL-S very close to ground, bottoming out can be an issue. I think I will keep it but get an SUV for winter.

Favorite Features

horsepower - smooth ride on highway. sleek look, nice leather trim. Great dependability, great gas mileage for a 280 hp vehicle - I get 25, combined.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk makes a cheap "clink" sound when you shut it. Rear defrost is useless. rain and condensation drips right in window if you open it. The intro navigation warning screen needs an override! Add rear seat heater and washer fluid low indicator. Add SMART KEY feature!

Beauty That's Only Skin Deep
By joelsaxton

2007 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Aside from the nice appearance, this car has been a grave disappointment. I test drove the TL on a nice flat road. But in the real world, when I am accelerating over an uneven surface, the wobbliness of front wheel drive become painfully apparent, especially with 286HP. I have had persistent issues with cabin noise - there are constant creaks when going over bumpy roads - it makes the car sound cheap. I had a defective starter which needed replacement. The nav system is not very smart. The tranny had issues with the 3rd gear that needed fixing. Most importantly, the 3.5L engine is prone to pinging.

Favorite Features

Excellent appearance, both inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Add AWD, as FWD simply cannot handle nearly 300HP gracefully. Fix pinging problem instead of denying it exists. Fix the manual tranny 3rd gear problem. Improve stereo (woofer vibrates even at 70% volume). Nav system is quite stupid. Acura Corporate needs to be more honorable with their customers.

By Bryan

2007 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

10,000 miles into my silver TL Type-S with 6 speed manual, and I figure I would give you all a follow-up. First, the bad: rattles in the door and steering column. Tsk, tsk in a near 40-grand sports sedan. Interior materials scratch real easily, and dashboard is starting to lose its color really quickly (from dark gray to milky gray). Torque-steer is getting old now. The good: this thing should be called a muscle-sedan instead of a sports sedan, because that's the demeanor it has. Big, mean looking, mean sounding, and fast. Handling is second only to BMW. Interior is very comfortable, and very spacious.

Favorite Features

Compliments everywhere I go. Engine is a trip to run up to the redline. Slick shifting manual gearbox. Beautiful, comfy interior. Supportive seats. User friendly infotainment center. Minimal usage of chrome inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Rattles! Interior plastics scratch easy and fade quickly. Uneconomic fuel economy. Too much oversteer and too wide of a turning radius. Needs AWD. Difficult to justify price when compared to the new Accord.