Used 2006 Acura TL Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2006 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Great Car!
By SpeedRacerGabe

2006 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my TL for about 3.5 yrs now and I still love it as much as I did when new. The most reliable car I have ever owned, great performance and with the 6-speed I just love driving through the mountain roads and winding up the engine. Fuel mileage better than I expected and have seen 38 on the hwy thanks to a couple of performance upgrades.

Favorite Features

Sound system, manual tranny, fuel mileage and looks

Suggested Improvements

heated steering wheel, mp3 jack and rear seat warmers

Perfect Blend
By Car Rob

2006 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I love cars, but I hate when they break. My last BMW spend more time in for service than it did in my garage! This thing isn't quite as fun as a 330i, BUT IT DOES NOT BREAK! Plus, I can't complain about 31 mpg with cruise set at 80 mph! You do have to run premium if you want optimum horsepower and MPG. Go with the manual transmission and dump the stock all season tires and you can't go wrong. Couldn't justify spending two grand on a nav system when I can read maps, so I didn't order that. The upgraded Brembo brakes that come with the manual version are simply amazing, but pedal modulation could be a little easier at the top of tip in. So comfortable on any road, find some twisties and enjoy!

Favorite Features

Reliability, fuel economy, even better than usual Xenon headlights, slick 6-speed, almost no torque steer for a front wheel drive car.

Suggested Improvements

See the new 2009 TL Type-S, as far as I can tell they have fixed all of my complaints about my regular 2006! All-wheel drive!

Money Talks
By Rob

2006 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Folks I've owned just about every type of import on the market, and I'm here to tell ya that there is no better value than the Acura TL. I'm one of the few people left who still prefers a clutch pedal, and Acura is more than willing to cater to me! Buying the stick doesn't make the car less expensive, but Acura hooks you up with Brembo 4 Piston brakes up front with pretty black calipers that read "Acura." DOES NOT perform like a BMW, DOES NOT ride like a Lexus, interior IS NOT as nice as an Audi, but come on, I paid $31k for this thing! Really should be rear wheel drive, then I think it could take a 3 series. Torque steer isn't bad, you get a better diff and reprogrammed software with the 6M!

Favorite Features

Price, 32 MPG doing 80 with the A/C on, awesome honda build quality, reliable, bluetooth, loaded with features for the cash, Black leather has stayed the nicest out of any car I have ever owned (except for the Audi), good service, memory seats work splendidly.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible turning radius, my RWD BMW was better in the snow (although the VSC is very effective in this car), ELS Stereo sounds nice but is very weak (only 225 watts), PLEASE Honda, give us rear wheel drive! With a traction/stability program this good, it wouldn't be a problem!

Great car for the money
By Geekybiker

2006 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The Acura TL is the best blend of luxury and performance that you'll find at this price point. It has outstanding power for a sedan with a wide and very drivable powerband. It had a beautiful, well finished interior. Especially so in the two tone color combinations. The seats are very comfy and supportive enough to keep you from sliding too much during agressive driving. On top of all of this it maintains good fuel economy given its power. Only downside has been the 6 speed manual gear box which is occasionally fickle about going into 3rd on quick shifts. Though reportedly this can be dealt with by using a different gear oil. Overall I think its a top runner in a very competitive class.

Favorite Features

I love the memory seats. Very cool to be able to have it always go back to your setup after valets, etc. Bluetooth handsfree phone is great. The Xenon lights are another thing I couldn't live without anymore.

Suggested Improvements

A better display on the non navi cars would be nice. A dot matrix display would be much classier than the old school's display on them now. I wish it had an aux input to route my mp3 player into. Cupholder should be offset from the shifter. Tall cups can get in the way of shifting the manual.

Awesome Acura TL!
By Holly

2006 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've always had V6 Honda Accords, loved them all, and was ready to buy a 2006 but couldn't find a good color combination. Moved to the Acura TL based on reputation, looks, and color combinations and I'm so not sorry! It is a hot car - it looks good, has all the creature comforts, is great to drive, has more speed than I'll ever need (but love it!), and it is incredibly sturdy and safe. This car is everything awesome about an Accord, and so much more! The only sad thing is that the surround-sound stereo doesn't have much chance to perform because the music industry hasn't produced many surround-sound cds! I'd definitely recommend this car for every reason.

Favorite Features

Power, surround-sound, bluetooth capability, dual heat/air, and heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

The front end of the car could be a bit sharper - the back end is gorgeous! The front is nice, but needs a little edge. Buying the highest octane gas has proved a bit expensive in these times - you should know that's required.