Abyss Blue Pearl 6 Speed Manual TL
By blacsteel1 on
2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)
I purchased my 05 TL used in 2007 w/just over 24K miles. The car looked sharp, had a nice ride and was loaded w/everything (Navi, Hands Free Phone, Voice activation, moonroof etc.) The transmission operated smoothly and the car had great performance and handling esp. considering its a front wheel drive vehicle. One thing I did notice after a few months was that under brisk acceleration (not jack rabbit starts mind you) the car seemed to hesitate as if traction control had been activated. I ended up ditching the Michelin Pilot MXMV... and getting Bridgestone RE 960AS (stayed w/ 17") and the car has handled like a dream ever since.
Favorite Features
I love the manual transmission as it shifts very smoothly and reassuringly. There was a brief problem with the car shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but the dealer switched to GM transmission fluid under warranty and that solved the issue. XM radio is terrific w/ clean sound. Stereo is good although I think a bigger subwoofer is in order (personal preference). Handsfree Link is a megabonus that many cars costing significantly more than my car either don't have or it's an expensive option. NAV screen is large and very user friendly. Seats are comfortable, and everything is within easy reach. Performance wise, it's not the fastest off the line, but it builds speed quickly and corners well.
Suggested Improvements
The paint job appears to be somewhat flimsy as even minor bumps against the fenders seem to chip the paint. The doors do not stay open easily when parked on an incline - minor, I know, but when the door closes on your legs a few times it stands out in your mind. The glove compartment can barely hold the owners manual and nothing else! Summary: My car now has 96K miles on it and still looks and runs great. The dealer wants me to trade it in on the newer model, but I actually prefer the styling on the 05's. The rear deck is kind of high - the car would greatly benefit from a rearview camera when reversing, however this feature has already been added to the newer models. Great car for the $