Used 2005 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Excellent Overall Package
By Illinois Flatlander

2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 3 1/2 problem free years and believe that it is a great value for its price. I get 20 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway which is very acceptable for a car with this size engine and its performance. The experience with the dealership in regards to service has been better than it has been with any other brand vehicle I had in the past.

Favorite Features

Excellent sound system, smooth & quiet engine, cockpit layout, Bluetooth connectivity, easy to use navigation system, overall design.

Suggested Improvements

No auxiliary input for the radio, 5 speed automatic transmission gear changes take too long especially in manual mode, rain sensing wipers, engine low-end torque

The nav system is tied into the radio/CD
By jzucco

2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love the car but it is now 2009 and the nav system no longer works. H2O damage most likely due to condensation sense it is in the trunk. Now that the nav no longer works my entire console is worthless. No DVD/CD, radio works but don't know the station. Only solution from Acura is to purchase a new 3k nav system. I would not buy this or any vehicle that ties all these system together like this because there is no aftermarket solution and you are stuck with a 3k bill just to listen to a DVD!! I am not happy. I filed a complaint with Acura but they do not have a solution. This is a severe design flaw!

Favorite Features

I have the 6 speed, and it is a ton of fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Change the design of the nav/radio system

Perfect Acura mixture
By Paul Ferny

2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have basic model in automatic. Driven for 4 yrs now. Excellent car - good performance and build quality. Highs - quality feel, good acceleration (in manual mode in auto), good mpg on highway (about 30), sticks to road akin to European car. Lows - initial tires were Michelins and awful - rapid wear and no grip in rain or snow (bloody dangerous after 20k on slick/poor quality roads in frosty Winnipeg), mpg in city not great (about 15-18).

Favorite Features

Build quality, safety (with replacement tires), sporty suspension and easily delivered acceleration for over-taking. Added cold air intake ($200) - did improve mpg on highway and changed exhaust note under high demand from sounding like a strangled cat to that of a roaring lion!

Suggested Improvements

AWD and decent ultra high performance all season radials would have been great additions.

First Time
By First Acura

2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought a 2005 TL, it only had 16k miles on it, which is the main reason I bought it. I have driven nothing but SUVs and jeeps, so I was nervous about a car, but this thing rocks. It handles well, it is comfortable and looks great. I love it.

Favorite Features

XM radio ready, sport wheels, sleek design.

Suggested Improvements

Read defrost takes longer than I would like, city gas MPG could be improved.

Used TL
By smoke'em

2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my white TL with 60k earlier this year. I was hesitant since it had so many miles but the car runs like a champ. I have put on about 15k mile on it in 10 months and it runs perfect! I came from owning 3 V8 Mustangs, 1 of which had 400rwhp... the TL is just as much fun to drive as those and it's probably faster than my old 5.0. What really attracted me to the Acura was the interior. I test drove many cars from MB, BMW, Lexus and the Acura's was easily the best. My vehicle has 75k on the odometer now the interior still looks new, GPS/Bluetooth are still top notch compared to new 2009 vehicles... to top it off the pricing on these vehicles is great as well.

Favorite Features

Everything in the car can be controlled by the steering wheel. Intelligent design interior, still has sport to it with a good amount of torque. Blue LED interior at night is easy on the eyes. Best designed best fit and finish of any car in it price range period and that includes new models.

Suggested Improvements

Nicer wheels, bigger breaks, RWD, sport suspension option, real time GPS w/weather and traffic updates. Cheaper prices on regularly scheduled maintenance. Also provide easy access to the maintenance coding.