Used 2005 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 445 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Whatever happened to decent cars
By MJL05

2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Acura TL in September of 08, and after hearing all the positive things about them, I thought to myself that sounds like a great car to get. Don't get me wrong its not a piece of junk but since day one I have had more problems then my old car in the four years I've had it. I recently thought of selling it or trading it for another car because the car is in the shop so often. You know all those annoying sounds you really don't like well that's my car for the most part. I bring it in the shop for a few problems and then more develop. This will be the last Acura I will buy in my life and I'm only 21 that's pretty sad. Now I'm losing money just to get another car not to hear the noises.

comfort of the seats

where can I start?

Best FWD sport sedan out there!
By John V.

2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

And it's almost the best 30-40k sport sedan period. Being from the Midwest, and only having one car, RWD wasn't an option since we get something called snow which doesn't agree with RWD cars too well. Thus, I settled on the TL, and don't think I would have been happier w/ any other car. Acceleration is very linear, and the TL is extremely stable at 80 mph, and fairly quite at such speeds, which could be a dangerous combination. Torque steer is almost never an issue. Great sound system, excellent interior amenities, exceptional fuel economy (I've gotten 33 on some highway jaunts, although around town can be disappointing). If only the 09 TL looked as suave, I'd get that instead of an 08 TypeS

Engine to start; always ready, and very willing to go, plus it can be decent on fuel economy. Next to that is the styling, followed by sound system, and probably the navigation system.

Some panels were a bit loose, at first, but dealer fixed the couple that wouldn't stay put. Door stops only have two or three positions that they'll lock into, which gets frustrating in close quarters.

Would Buy Again
By VeniceCA

2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in March 2005. Very good looking car in and out (better in my opinion than the new model). Very reliable, only repair was A/C at 25k miles. Love the big touchscreen nav system that you can operate while moving, new models may have better graphics but non-touchscreen is MUCH less convenient. Performance is decent, needs more low end power and the transmission is slow to shift. Handling is good, but nose scrapes too much on driveway inclines, which reduces confidence in maneuvering and turning radius is about 4 feet too wide.

Interior and exterior design, bluetooth, nav system, comfortable seats, very reliable

Smaller turning radius, more nose clearance, more low end power, more aggressive automatic shifts

Excellent Overall Package
By Illinois Flatlander

2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 3 1/2 problem free years and believe that it is a great value for its price. I get 20 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway which is very acceptable for a car with this size engine and its performance. The experience with the dealership in regards to service has been better than it has been with any other brand vehicle I had in the past.

Excellent sound system, smooth & quiet engine, cockpit layout, Bluetooth connectivity, easy to use navigation system, overall design.

No auxiliary input for the radio, 5 speed automatic transmission gear changes take too long especially in manual mode, rain sensing wipers, engine low-end torque

The nav system is tied into the radio/CD
By jzucco

2005 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love the car but it is now 2009 and the nav system no longer works. H2O damage most likely due to condensation sense it is in the trunk. Now that the nav no longer works my entire console is worthless. No DVD/CD, radio works but don't know the station. Only solution from Acura is to purchase a new 3k nav system. I would not buy this or any vehicle that ties all these system together like this because there is no aftermarket solution and you are stuck with a 3k bill just to listen to a DVD!! I am not happy. I filed a complaint with Acura but they do not have a solution. This is a severe design flaw!

I have the 6 speed, and it is a ton of fun to drive.

Change the design of the nav/radio system