Used 2005 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Awesome Driving Experience!
By JBM

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a 2005 TL w/nav, Black on Black (59k miles). I can't imagine a better driving experience. Great power/handling/fun/wow factor/super highway ride/pretty good gas mileage. Awesome body style that gets max attention--and that's before they get inside! Amazing features and luxury feel to sporty car with great driving characteristics. A little first gear handling issue under full acceleration, but nothing one can't manage easily.

Favorite Features

NAV, voice-activated controls, steering feel, super traction on my Michelin Pilots, fun acceleration, awesome looks (I know of no other car in class that turns head like this one). Looks way better than 2009 TL.

Suggested Improvements

In the sport shift mode, eliminate the auto shift from 1st to 2nd. I think this would improve 0-60 times in the 5AT. They should make Michelin Pilots as standard tires. Make wing spoiler standard equipment (awesome add-on).

118000 MILES
By Nobama

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Mpg hwy averages 30. City averages 26. Replaced brake pads only once at 110,00 miles. Pads still had 50% thickness from new. Other than oil and tires that's it. May replace spark plugs soon... nah it's still running great. Tires are problematic. Came with Turanzas, got 70,000 on those but the tires were merely ok. Put Pilots on but only got about 35000 on those. Now have AMERICAN MADE goodyear eagle gt2 with the funky looking tread. These tires stick well but ride a bit more harshly than the others and I think one is slightly out of round. I can live with it. But they're cheap. Got 380000 out of my last Maxima, will see if 400,000 can be hit with the TL.

Favorite Features

The little blue light on the headliner at night. That thing is handy.

Suggested Improvements

Put a Bose back in it. This thing at full volume does not even come close. LA woman needs many decibels.

Whatever happened to decent cars
By MJL05

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Acura TL in September of 08, and after hearing all the positive things about them, I thought to myself that sounds like a great car to get. Don't get me wrong its not a piece of junk but since day one I have had more problems then my old car in the four years I've had it. I recently thought of selling it or trading it for another car because the car is in the shop so often. You know all those annoying sounds you really don't like well that's my car for the most part. I bring it in the shop for a few problems and then more develop. This will be the last Acura I will buy in my life and I'm only 21 that's pretty sad. Now I'm losing money just to get another car not to hear the noises.

Favorite Features

comfort of the seats

Suggested Improvements

where can I start?

Best FWD sport sedan out there!
By John V.

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

And it's almost the best 30-40k sport sedan period. Being from the Midwest, and only having one car, RWD wasn't an option since we get something called snow which doesn't agree with RWD cars too well. Thus, I settled on the TL, and don't think I would have been happier w/ any other car. Acceleration is very linear, and the TL is extremely stable at 80 mph, and fairly quite at such speeds, which could be a dangerous combination. Torque steer is almost never an issue. Great sound system, excellent interior amenities, exceptional fuel economy (I've gotten 33 on some highway jaunts, although around town can be disappointing). If only the 09 TL looked as suave, I'd get that instead of an 08 TypeS

Favorite Features

Engine to start; always ready, and very willing to go, plus it can be decent on fuel economy. Next to that is the styling, followed by sound system, and probably the navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

Some panels were a bit loose, at first, but dealer fixed the couple that wouldn't stay put. Door stops only have two or three positions that they'll lock into, which gets frustrating in close quarters.

Would Buy Again
By VeniceCA

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in March 2005. Very good looking car in and out (better in my opinion than the new model). Very reliable, only repair was A/C at 25k miles. Love the big touchscreen nav system that you can operate while moving, new models may have better graphics but non-touchscreen is MUCH less convenient. Performance is decent, needs more low end power and the transmission is slow to shift. Handling is good, but nose scrapes too much on driveway inclines, which reduces confidence in maneuvering and turning radius is about 4 feet too wide.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design, bluetooth, nav system, comfortable seats, very reliable

Suggested Improvements

Smaller turning radius, more nose clearance, more low end power, more aggressive automatic shifts