Used 2005 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Most Helpful|
MPG could be improved
By adhikun

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I got the car used, at 27,500 mi. Not bad for a 2005 car. Handling is very sporty, suspension is more sporty than luxurious. MPG is pretty bad - mix driving only gets me between high teens and 21mpg.

Favorite Features

Design, leather, console.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build, as it has rattles along the front driver-side door and rear of the car.

Best car I've ever owned, hands down.
By ScootrNC

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used with 19.5 k miles, ULEV rated (were available for sale in CA and upper New England at the time). I've put about 34 k miles on it and it has performed flawlessly for the 3.5 years I've had it. No repairs, rattles or anything negative over this period. It IS tire-sensitive. Now I'm using Bridgestone Serenity series and the ride is smooth and quiet, haven't noticed any significant tire wear for 20+ k miles. It's fast and fun to drive. I am familiar with the BMWs and yes they handle well, but the TL is right up there with them IMHO. TL is a little quieter than many of BMWs (especially wind noise at speed). At 70 mph, gives about 31 mpg but I don't punch it much.

Favorite Features

External appearance...classic with NO unnecessary moves. Still looks current and I prefer it over the new Acura sheet metal. Terrific sound system and the cassette player will outperform most MP3 players with good recordings (MP3s give me a bad headache). CD is terrific. Ditto Bluetooth and Nav.

Suggested Improvements

It's LOW to the ground so getting in and out is not as easy as with some other models. But that's the trade-off for great cornering and a very stable ride - - low CG. If you get the front spoiler, watch out for curbs when parking!

2005 Acura TL
By bradyoung

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new back in 2005. Mechanically it's worked great. I've only had to do basic maintenance on the car such as batteries, belts, fluids, etc. I did have a power steering hose to begin leaking that I had repaired. 6 months later I get a recall notice from Acura and they reimburse me for the cost of the repairs and install a new power steering hose. This car now has 162,000 miles on it and it's doing great. I just wish the newer TL's looked as good because I would buy another. The only down side has been tire wear. This car does like to go through some tires about every 25 to 30K miles. The tire wear is based upon normal driving.

Abyss Blue Pearl 6 Speed Manual TL
By blacsteel1

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 05 TL used in 2007 w/just over 24K miles. The car looked sharp, had a nice ride and was loaded w/everything (Navi, Hands Free Phone, Voice activation, moonroof etc.) The transmission operated smoothly and the car had great performance and handling esp. considering its a front wheel drive vehicle. One thing I did notice after a few months was that under brisk acceleration (not jack rabbit starts mind you) the car seemed to hesitate as if traction control had been activated. I ended up ditching the Michelin Pilot MXMV... and getting Bridgestone RE 960AS (stayed w/ 17") and the car has handled like a dream ever since.

Favorite Features

I love the manual transmission as it shifts very smoothly and reassuringly. There was a brief problem with the car shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but the dealer switched to GM transmission fluid under warranty and that solved the issue. XM radio is terrific w/ clean sound. Stereo is good although I think a bigger subwoofer is in order (personal preference). Handsfree Link is a megabonus that many cars costing significantly more than my car either don't have or it's an expensive option. NAV screen is large and very user friendly. Seats are comfortable, and everything is within easy reach. Performance wise, it's not the fastest off the line, but it builds speed quickly and corners well.

Suggested Improvements

The paint job appears to be somewhat flimsy as even minor bumps against the fenders seem to chip the paint. The doors do not stay open easily when parked on an incline - minor, I know, but when the door closes on your legs a few times it stands out in your mind. The glove compartment can barely hold the owners manual and nothing else! Summary: My car now has 96K miles on it and still looks and runs great. The dealer wants me to trade it in on the newer model, but I actually prefer the styling on the 05's. The rear deck is kind of high - the car would greatly benefit from a rearview camera when reversing, however this feature has already been added to the newer models. Great car for the $

Great Birthday Gift!
By akaprls20

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my TL for my birthday and have been happy ever since. After months of researching the TSX, I checked out the TL and never looked back! I purchased mine from a private owner and got a great deal! Don't be fooled by the dealers who want you to think that you get so much more buying a CPO. More money for no reason. The owner who sold the car also had an 06 TL and said the 05 drove a little faster. Apparently there was some change in that year. Oh well, my gain!

Favorite Features

I love the NAV and the blue tooth. Having everything at my fingertips is nice. I'm still getting used to the car so I don't have any of the issues that other users have.

Suggested Improvements

I do miss having seats in the rear that fold down, but that's minor.