Used 2005 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

STAY AWAY
By KingTMO

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used with 79000 miles which i did not see as a problem as the time because I owned a 00 Honda Accord that I purchased with high miles. 1 month after the purchase everything went down hill..rattling through the car - power seats stop working - calipers going bad and grinding the rotors. I have really lost respect for Honda I am just waiting to be done with Honda and get a Fusion.

Suggested Improvements

Everything

Terrfic TL
By Matt

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have always driven Hondas and have wanted a TL since they changed the body in '04. Finally bought a used '05 in Oct of '08. Love it! Sharp looking, powerful, comfortable, reliable, relatively economical. Mine is silver with gray leather. Bought it with 25k on it and I've put 28k on it since acquiring it. I commute 33 miles to work 1 way. Have seen 33 mpg on the highway a couple of times but average 31 on hwy. City driving is a bit more dismal in the high teens. Overall average is 25-26 mpg.

Favorite Features

I love the way the car drives, especially on the highway. Very sporty, comfortable ride, good power, great handling. I also love the way the car looks. A very handsome design. Like the new body style TL after getting used to it but loved this one instantly.

Suggested Improvements

More power is always a plus and better overall fuel economy or at least an engine that doesn't require premium fuel. Most of my suggestions have been answered in the '09 & '10 TLs. iPod hookups are now available.

Great Car
By Tom

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Extremely stylish vehicle. Head turner, even at five years old. Abundant whiz-bang features in the cabin -- lots of them linked to the particular driver's key fob. Engine is very powerful -- wonderful sound. Front-wheel drive pulls the car forward nicely on dicey roads. Soft leather seats. Xenon headlights which are tightly focused. XM/Sirius radio. European feel on the road. Great value.

Favorite Features

The 270 HP high-revving engine which gets great mileage -- 21/29.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth is hard to program.

Overrated
By Mike Ryan

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned 3 Acuras; all purchased new. We will not be purchasing a fourth. Tires on TL wore out after 24,000 miles. Rust on brakes had to be scraped after less than 18,000 miles, not covered by warranty. Passenger side window opens but will not always close. Acura Service tells us it will be $545 to fix. Window service is outside warranty period. There has been no damage to the vehicle that would cause the window malfunction. This is not what you would expect from a company that prides itself in building quality products.

TL Funny to drive...some quirks!
By RL22

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used...A lease turn-in. I have loved this car from the get go. I am in my mid-late 30's and it fits me like a "T". Fast, stylist and has all the amenities that I would use (wish but don't have nav). I think the car is quiet but I would agree about the some rattles. I have tried to find most and put an end to them which I have except for a couple which would entail a lot of work. I had to put new brakes on it (because it was a lease turn-in with 36M miles)and I have put about 15000 on it in 7 months. Have done nothing else with it...I owned a 2004 Accord that I put 140M on. Honda/Acura make great cars...I am looking into a used MDX for the wife.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth is awesome, XM radio...pickup and go passing. Quiet ride...has the feel of a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Is a little soft (floating) in the rear. Would have them place controls for climate control in a different area. More Storage in truck. FIX THE RATTLES...MAKE IT TIGHTER.