Used 2005 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Most Helpful|
Very Good Deal For The Money
By TomCLR

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

You get a lot of useful things in the Acura TL that all come standard that would normally be extra on competitor models. Very good power and control in everday driving, although on snow or slick surfaces the car lacks control at times. Navigation System is superb, as well as the overall look of the interior. Exterior is very smooth too. Interior quality has been questionable as I've had quite a handful of rattles, and part of the headline covering the rear center brake light is coming off. Seat leather is so/so in quality, although comfort is very supportive in the front seats, but real not so much especially on long trips. Although, You really do get a lot from this vehicle from you money.

Favorite Features

HID/LED lights, Navigation System, Speed, Interior, Voice Recognition, Bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior quality, possibly RWD and/or AWD, that's about it. The car is doing quite well otherwise.

Disappointing
By JP41

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I really love the interior and exterior looks of the car but the build quality is less than stellar. My tires wore out after 20K miles, my dash is faded and looks 20 years old, leather is wearing away, and I have numerous squeaks and rattles. It is too bad because I really want to like the car and the features for the money can not be beat. However, I am angered everytime I drive it listening to the rattles in the dash, door, and steering column.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design. Standard features (XM, Bluetooth, etc). Fuel mileage is pretty good for such a large engine (I get around 24 mpg with 60% highway 40% city).

Suggested Improvements

RATTLES and SQUEAKS! Build quality does not seem up to par.

Best car I've ever owned, hands down.
By ScootrNC

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used with 19.5 k miles, ULEV rated (were available for sale in CA and upper New England at the time). I've put about 34 k miles on it and it has performed flawlessly for the 3.5 years I've had it. No repairs, rattles or anything negative over this period. It IS tire-sensitive. Now I'm using Bridgestone Serenity series and the ride is smooth and quiet, haven't noticed any significant tire wear for 20+ k miles. It's fast and fun to drive. I am familiar with the BMWs and yes they handle well, but the TL is right up there with them IMHO. TL is a little quieter than many of BMWs (especially wind noise at speed). At 70 mph, gives about 31 mpg but I don't punch it much.

Favorite Features

External appearance...classic with NO unnecessary moves. Still looks current and I prefer it over the new Acura sheet metal. Terrific sound system and the cassette player will outperform most MP3 players with good recordings (MP3s give me a bad headache). CD is terrific. Ditto Bluetooth and Nav.

Suggested Improvements

It's LOW to the ground so getting in and out is not as easy as with some other models. But that's the trade-off for great cornering and a very stable ride - - low CG. If you get the front spoiler, watch out for curbs when parking!

Awesome Driving Experience!
By JBM

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a 2005 TL w/nav, Black on Black (59k miles). I can't imagine a better driving experience. Great power/handling/fun/wow factor/super highway ride/pretty good gas mileage. Awesome body style that gets max attention--and that's before they get inside! Amazing features and luxury feel to sporty car with great driving characteristics. A little first gear handling issue under full acceleration, but nothing one can't manage easily.

Favorite Features

NAV, voice-activated controls, steering feel, super traction on my Michelin Pilots, fun acceleration, awesome looks (I know of no other car in class that turns head like this one). Looks way better than 2009 TL.

Suggested Improvements

In the sport shift mode, eliminate the auto shift from 1st to 2nd. I think this would improve 0-60 times in the 5AT. They should make Michelin Pilots as standard tires. Make wing spoiler standard equipment (awesome add-on).

Abyss Blue Pearl 6 Speed Manual TL
By blacsteel1

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 05 TL used in 2007 w/just over 24K miles. The car looked sharp, had a nice ride and was loaded w/everything (Navi, Hands Free Phone, Voice activation, moonroof etc.) The transmission operated smoothly and the car had great performance and handling esp. considering its a front wheel drive vehicle. One thing I did notice after a few months was that under brisk acceleration (not jack rabbit starts mind you) the car seemed to hesitate as if traction control had been activated. I ended up ditching the Michelin Pilot MXMV... and getting Bridgestone RE 960AS (stayed w/ 17") and the car has handled like a dream ever since.

Favorite Features

I love the manual transmission as it shifts very smoothly and reassuringly. There was a brief problem with the car shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but the dealer switched to GM transmission fluid under warranty and that solved the issue. XM radio is terrific w/ clean sound. Stereo is good although I think a bigger subwoofer is in order (personal preference). Handsfree Link is a megabonus that many cars costing significantly more than my car either don't have or it's an expensive option. NAV screen is large and very user friendly. Seats are comfortable, and everything is within easy reach. Performance wise, it's not the fastest off the line, but it builds speed quickly and corners well.

Suggested Improvements

The paint job appears to be somewhat flimsy as even minor bumps against the fenders seem to chip the paint. The doors do not stay open easily when parked on an incline - minor, I know, but when the door closes on your legs a few times it stands out in your mind. The glove compartment can barely hold the owners manual and nothing else! Summary: My car now has 96K miles on it and still looks and runs great. The dealer wants me to trade it in on the newer model, but I actually prefer the styling on the 05's. The rear deck is kind of high - the car would greatly benefit from a rearview camera when reversing, however this feature has already been added to the newer models. Great car for the $