Used 2005 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Great Car but Some Flaws
By cooldiesel

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2005 Acura TL with about 90K miles on it. For the most part the car is fantastic, feels very high quality and rides excellent. At 80 MPH - typical cruising speed in Los Angeles when not stuck in traffic - the car feels as if it is on rails, and is very quite. Some people on internet forums have complained about squeeks and rattles from the windows in the doors when driving. I have found that this is true, but not to the point where it is a problem. The 6-speed transmission model which I have is probably not the best. The shifter is clunky, and the engine not suited to a manual since it has very little low-end torque.

Favorite Features

- Ride quality - Quite cabin - Body design - Smooth engine with decent gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

- Improvement to 6-speed transmission model - Better interior build quality

Very nice car
By sleeper22

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 05 TL with a little over 54,000 miles. It now has 105,000 miles. The 3rd generation TL's are very good cars. Comfortable, quiet, roomy, refined and I like the FWD because we do get snow here in KY. I just did the timing belt replacement (almost $1000 at dealer) so guess I will be keeping it for awhile. I really like the TL as in my opinion gets great gas mileage for a car that performs this well. I average 22-24mpg combined and anywhere from 28-33mpg highway. The only complaints I have are the brakes. They perform well but rotors tend to warp easily and the calipers went bad around 95,000 miles. Other than this the TL is probably the best car I have owned.

Favorite Features

Nice stereo and really like the in dash 6-disc changer. HID headlights are wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes and leather seats could be of better quality.

2005 Acura TL
By bradyoung

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new back in 2005. Mechanically it's worked great. I've only had to do basic maintenance on the car such as batteries, belts, fluids, etc. I did have a power steering hose to begin leaking that I had repaired. 6 months later I get a recall notice from Acura and they reimburse me for the cost of the repairs and install a new power steering hose. This car now has 162,000 miles on it and it's doing great. I just wish the newer TL's looked as good because I would buy another. The only down side has been tire wear. This car does like to go through some tires about every 25 to 30K miles. The tire wear is based upon normal driving.

7 year total repairs low
By gary171

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My wife purchased the TL new with the 7 year/100,000 extended warranty. The warranty just expired. Total regular maintenance for 7 years are $3600--all done at Acura dealership. Total repairs on my 2005 Infinity purchased the same day with same warranty are $9300. I love my Infinity, but regular maintenance is expensive. Acura repair bills very low over 7 years.

Best Car I ever owned
By edmundsposter8

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car since 2005 and have had zero issues with reliability. I still receive alot of positive accolades for the navigation and bluetooth phone considering this was back in 2005. If you take care of the car with regular intervals of maintenance there will be no issues. The best part is there are millions of local Honda/Acura repairs shops that are highly competitive which makes repair costs a fraction of what you pay at the Dealership

Favorite Features

Navigation 6-speed gear shifter Excellent fuel economy for a V6 (29mpg Highway) Reliability, no issues other than normal wear and tear. Replaced brakes, battery and tires since 2005, that's it.

Suggested Improvements

None