2004 Acura TL Consumer Review: Nice car bad torque steer

2004 Acura TL - Consumer Review

3.2 Sedan (3.2L V6 6-speed Manual)

Nice car bad torque steer
By steve741 on

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The Acura TL is a nice car but with the 6 speed transmission the torque-steer can be annoying. The car felt uncomfortable in the wet due to this issue. I thought the interior was great and bluetooth worked well. Rust was a huge issue on the rear wheel well and just behind the door. This set in fairly early in the car's life. Even making efforts to keep this at bay failed... anywhere there was a spot weld in the fender lip.

I really liked the bluetooth phone. Very usable. I also love the engine and the 6 speed transmission felt great but the torque steer let it down.

I'd opt for the all-wheel-drive of the later models if choosing the manual transmission... I suspect the torque steer would be reduced. I also felt the handling could be better. It never felt as controllable as my Alfa Romeo sedans or Mercedes. Add to the throttle on torque steer and I always felt I was fighting to keep the car transitioning out of turns smoothly.