Used 2004 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2004 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

This is a fantastic automobile!
By acurafan15

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Words cannot express how fond I am of this car; I have been in love with my TL ever since I first drove it. It just surpassed 181,000 miles, and I have enjoyed every single moment. Soon this car will be 10 years old, but it still manages to fetch compliments and stares daily. I have friends, family, and co-workers who don't believe the mileage. It has held up perfectly (paint, interior, mechanically) and even mechanics/Acura service centers find the mileage hard to believe. There is a reason that so many of these cars are still on the road, they are perfect! I love whenever someone complains about the maintenace cost/price tag of their car (BMW, etc.) and I never have anything to say.

Favorite Features

The interior is extremely quiet and comfortable for a car with 270 HP. It handles on rails, and this car is very powerful! Quiet and comfortable when you need it, but exhilarating when you want to have some fun. Classy looks and charisma Value The design is elegant and still looks great after almost 10 years of being on the road. The maintenance/repair costs are high, but I never have to replace anything. It has held up very well. It has so many standard features (Xenon headlamps, Bluetooth, XM radio) and was so ahead of its time. In fact, this was the first car to have Bluetooth. I get around 24 MPG average (on premium), but I have surpassed 35 MPG on long highway trips.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that the cup holders are right in front of the shifter. If I have a drink in there and want to use the steptronic feature, it can be a little difficult. There really isn't anywhere else that they could have been placed though, so the complaint is miniscule.

Transmission Issues
By darltk

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my car since 2006 and have kept it under maintenance. It has treated me well for this period of time with occasional issues here and there. With 168,000 miles my transmission went and Motor mounts had to be replaced. Transmission was $5200 at the dealer. I opted to have it rebuilt elsewhere for $3300. I have also replaced the Motor Mounts. I guess certain things are to be expected but there were obvious issues with 2002-2003 and 2004's that were built earlier. I still believe these cars are reliable but some of these issues may be things that can be eventual problems with this model year. I also seem to be having some issues with the hands free freezing and dropping off.

Favorite Features

Options for the price of the vehicle were good. XM, Hands Free, Power windows down with FOB, Xenon lights. Good Performance and Power.

Suggested Improvements

The 2012 models seem to have included some improvements. AWD, better Trans, Roomier.

A love affair like no other
By harrybarry104

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought my Acura TL with 153k. I was skeptic at even looking when I heard of the mileage but it has been an absolute gem. The build quality surpasses Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. I turn heads almost everywhere I go, and have been getting amazing gas mileage. You would never guess the age or mileage on this car. I have to say, if you're looking for a great car, this is it. I've only owned the car for a week, but have made several long distance trips. Everytime I sit in my Acura, I smile, and I'm constantly looking for an excuse to go somewhere. What a great vehicle from Honda.

Suggested Improvements

RWD would have been nice.

Near ...Perfection.
By fastone4

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The Acura TL is a near perfection automobile. It handles nimbly and has great power when needed. The dashboard navigation is fantastic and loaded with XM and very good (not Bose) sound. If you are fortunate enough to find one in good shape get it!

Favorite Features

Handling, Power, Speed, Turning, Looks, Sound and Navigation.

Suggested Improvements

Leather.

Honda made a jewel
By dspau122

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Summer Tires and Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I was torn between the g35 sedan and the tl. I am so glad I chose the Acura. It has been an outstanding vehicle to drive. It has every bell and whistle you could ask for. The engine is very responsive and it has plenty of power. The only thing keeping this car out of perfection is the front wheel drive. I think 270 horses would feel better on the rear wheels. Aside from that it is an awesome investment and Honda made a good product

Favorite Features

Navigation, Bluetooth, xm satellite radio, spacious rear seating, instrumentation panel.

Suggested Improvements

Rear wheel drive.