Used 2004 Acura TL 3.2 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 396 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

A beauty which rivals new cars.
By Ethan

2004 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The 2004 Acura TL is an anomaly: a car which is beautiful, comfortable, practical, and fun. The VTEC engine is punchy and quick, and the exhaust note is fantastic. Meanwhile, the leather bucket seats are remarkably comfortable with its heating capabilities, lumbar support, and cushy leather. The interior is premium for the price with much of the surfaces being leather wrapped or brushed aluminum. The back seat is tiny, but only to make room for a massive trunk that holds a bookshelf, a sleep in bag, and emergency kit, a thick coat, a marching band uniform, and groceries. This car is very practical despite its looks and performance. The car handles adequately, but it suffers from massive understeer and "boatiness": the TL would benefit from AWD, which would help with the understeer. Other than that, the TL is a fantastic performer with its shockingly quick launch and acceleration, comfortable suspension, and 160 MPH top speed. The best part of the car, though, is the styling. This car is beautiful from every angle- especially the rear end which rivals BMWs and Audis of the same era. If you're looking for the best value for money, look no further than the 2004 Acura TL.

This is a fantastic automobile!
By acurafan15

2004 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Words cannot express how fond I am of this car; I have been in love with my TL ever since I first drove it. It just surpassed 181,000 miles, and I have enjoyed every single moment. Soon this car will be 10 years old, but it still manages to fetch compliments and stares daily. I have friends, family, and co-workers who don't believe the mileage. It has held up perfectly (paint, interior, mechanically) and even mechanics/Acura service centers find the mileage hard to believe. There is a reason that so many of these cars are still on the road, they are perfect! I love whenever someone complains about the maintenace cost/price tag of their car (BMW, etc.) and I never have anything to say.

The interior is extremely quiet and comfortable for a car with 270 HP. It handles on rails, and this car is very powerful! Quiet and comfortable when you need it, but exhilarating when you want to have some fun. Classy looks and charisma Value The design is elegant and still looks great after almost 10 years of being on the road. The maintenance/repair costs are high, but I never have to replace anything. It has held up very well. It has so many standard features (Xenon headlamps, Bluetooth, XM radio) and was so ahead of its time. In fact, this was the first car to have Bluetooth. I get around 24 MPG average (on premium), but I have surpassed 35 MPG on long highway trips.

My only complaint is that the cup holders are right in front of the shifter. If I have a drink in there and want to use the steptronic feature, it can be a little difficult. There really isn't anywhere else that they could have been placed though, so the complaint is miniscule.

Transmission Issues
By darltk

2004 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my car since 2006 and have kept it under maintenance. It has treated me well for this period of time with occasional issues here and there. With 168,000 miles my transmission went and Motor mounts had to be replaced. Transmission was $5200 at the dealer. I opted to have it rebuilt elsewhere for $3300. I have also replaced the Motor Mounts. I guess certain things are to be expected but there were obvious issues with 2002-2003 and 2004's that were built earlier. I still believe these cars are reliable but some of these issues may be things that can be eventual problems with this model year. I also seem to be having some issues with the hands free freezing and dropping off.

Options for the price of the vehicle were good. XM, Hands Free, Power windows down with FOB, Xenon lights. Good Performance and Power.

The 2012 models seem to have included some improvements. AWD, better Trans, Roomier.

A love affair like no other
By harrybarry104

2004 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought my Acura TL with 153k. I was skeptic at even looking when I heard of the mileage but it has been an absolute gem. The build quality surpasses Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. I turn heads almost everywhere I go, and have been getting amazing gas mileage. You would never guess the age or mileage on this car. I have to say, if you're looking for a great car, this is it. I've only owned the car for a week, but have made several long distance trips. Everytime I sit in my Acura, I smile, and I'm constantly looking for an excuse to go somewhere. What a great vehicle from Honda.

RWD would have been nice.

Near ...Perfection.
By fastone4

2004 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The Acura TL is a near perfection automobile.
It handles nimbly and has great power when needed.
The dashboard navigation is fantastic and loaded with XM and very good (not Bose) sound.
If you are fortunate enough to find one in good shape get it!

Handling, Power, Speed, Turning, Looks, Sound and Navigation.

Leather.