Used 2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews - 289 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Good for the price range!
By Sal

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this off a lease return with 45K miles on it a year ago. Now I have 57K miles. Overall I'm happy with the car. I have the Aegean Blue, with navi. Looks pretty gangsta, plus nobody where I live has an Acura, so I stand out. But I do notice that the tranny is shifting a bit harder now and is starting to have a bit of trouble picking appropriate gear between 40-50 mph. But then again, I think I'm due for a transmission fluid service at 60K, so it may resolve itself after that service.

Great set of standard features without having to pay extra, navi, Bose speakers (no booming bass here, but very clear sound), nice stock rims.

Telescoping steering wheel (going in and out), dual climate control, LED lights.

Don't buy it!
By rockpub

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have had 3 transimissions in this car, so far, not to mention little annoying items that don't work or break (air vents close when fan on high, center console latch broke within 2 months of purchase, etc.). Given the purchase price and expected quality, am extremely disappointed in this car. Will never buy another Acura!

One Sweet Ride!
By G Wis

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Performs great. Handles well, gas mileage is adequate (but uses highest octane) and the car has a nice sporty appearance. I drive this car to work daily.

Navigation system is the best! Easy to use and has nice features to locate ATMs, gas stations etc.

Transmission is a little jerky. Somewhat inconsistent shifts.

2003 Acura TL Type-S
By vman

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Upscale Accord. Wish I chose the G35 or 330i which had better resale and reliability. Ride is jittery, stiff and not comfortable on city trips. Leather is low quality and went out of shape. Good room inside and seats are OK on long trips. Very thin paint. Squeaks and rattles appeared after first year. CD player broke 4 times. Like any big FWD sedan, the TL eats up front rotors on a regular basis 'coz they are nose heavy cars. I had tranny issues covered by the P/T warranty. Acura extended the trans warranty but long-term use became doubtful. Resale value took a big hit due to the tranny recalls of TLs and other Hondas. This could have been a good car if they offered it in stick.

Good amount of cup holders better than my E39 and thoughtful compartments for phones, etc. Rear seat room for 3 adults, Good visibility, Quiet ride and nice sounding Bose stereo (when it works). Good sized trunk. VSA with FWD is great on winter.

Use separate CD changer, not all in one unit. Split folding rear seats. Express button on other windows and sunroof. Better tires, OEM Michelin MXM stink, lower the stance and soften ride a bit (Type-S). Better quality leather. Manual tranny option. Use plastic instead of glass lens on foglamps.

Comfy
By jfbrown42

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I was looking for a sporty family car, something better than the Mazda 626 ES my wife was driving - bigger, sportier, better gas mileage. We looked at a 2003 TL Type-S and the 2004 models. The 2004s were more edgy looking, had more horspower, and had more tech (bluetooth) but my wife didn't feel that they would go when she stepped on the gas pedal. Also, the 2004 felt smaller on the inside and had a smaller trunk. The trunk is important because we have two little kids. We'd like to be able to go on vacation and not have to rent an SUV for the luggage. I don't really push this car, but it performs well enough and is quite comfortable.

I like the memory seats. My wife and I each have our own settings and we can change at the push of a button. My wife likes the heated seats.

Better MPG around town.