Used 2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

2003 Acura TL Type-S
By vman

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Upscale Accord. Wish I chose the G35 or 330i which had better resale and reliability. Ride is jittery, stiff and not comfortable on city trips. Leather is low quality and went out of shape. Good room inside and seats are OK on long trips. Very thin paint. Squeaks and rattles appeared after first year. CD player broke 4 times. Like any big FWD sedan, the TL eats up front rotors on a regular basis 'coz they are nose heavy cars. I had tranny issues covered by the P/T warranty. Acura extended the trans warranty but long-term use became doubtful. Resale value took a big hit due to the tranny recalls of TLs and other Hondas. This could have been a good car if they offered it in stick.

Good amount of cup holders better than my E39 and thoughtful compartments for phones, etc. Rear seat room for 3 adults, Good visibility, Quiet ride and nice sounding Bose stereo (when it works). Good sized trunk. VSA with FWD is great on winter.

Use separate CD changer, not all in one unit. Split folding rear seats. Express button on other windows and sunroof. Better tires, OEM Michelin MXM stink, lower the stance and soften ride a bit (Type-S). Better quality leather. Manual tranny option. Use plastic instead of glass lens on foglamps.

Comfy
By jfbrown42

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I was looking for a sporty family car, something better than the Mazda 626 ES my wife was driving - bigger, sportier, better gas mileage. We looked at a 2003 TL Type-S and the 2004 models. The 2004s were more edgy looking, had more horspower, and had more tech (bluetooth) but my wife didn't feel that they would go when she stepped on the gas pedal. Also, the 2004 felt smaller on the inside and had a smaller trunk. The trunk is important because we have two little kids. We'd like to be able to go on vacation and not have to rent an SUV for the luggage. I don't really push this car, but it performs well enough and is quite comfortable.

I like the memory seats. My wife and I each have our own settings and we can change at the push of a button. My wife likes the heated seats.

Better MPG around town.

Good but not great
By Andy

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I have been very happy w/ my '03 TL-S. Pros: fun to drive, styling, handling is good. Con: no auto lights, vehicle information display is limited (no mpg, mile remaining, oil life, etc), wiper spray doesn't work below freezing, no dual zone heating/cooling. I had some transmission problems early on, two wheel bolts sheared while driving, and the steering wheel stereo controls quit working about at about 80k. I have always thought I would have been happier with the Infinity G35, which will be my next car most likely.

see review pros above

see review cons above

Like it, but problems
By Dave

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I really do like this car. Great interior appointments, Nav is great because you can use it while you drive (good and bad, but you can find restaurants on the fly) and the car has excellent acceleration in the limited powerband. However, I am on my second transmission. The shuffling through gears is rough, and it has issues picking a gear from 45-55 mph. The seats are squeaking, and there is a rattle in the dash. I am going to take it to the dealer to have these fixed before I give it back to them at the end of my lease. Good car, but beware of the transmission and engine issues.

Excellent nav, easily upgradeable, tight suspension in cornering, good acceleration, fully appointed trim levels, sharp looking.

Engine upgrade/overhaul. Shaky shifting, noisy cabin, harsh on rough roads. Upgrade the sound, which they have done, and try to separate themselves from Honda.

Oh my God!!
By acuralover85

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 2003 Acura TL Type S. This is the car of my dreams. Its fast, gorgeous, and reliable. I cant say anything bad about the car really. I have a great amount of head room (I'm 6 feet), excellent power, and good gas mileage. The car gets so much looks it's outragous. I get compliments on the clean leather interior all the time, and the car has an excellent paint job. I just love how the car came fully loaded with everything. I think I will drive nothing but Acuras from now on.

Gorgeous interior, 260 horsepower, sunroof, leather with heated seats (I stay in Chicago! gotta have that), tight handling on the road, great cupholders and compartments, Bose stereo, stick mode, dual exhaust, large trunk, easy to read gauges, great central zone comfort system, damn near everything!

My middle console would pop up when I would go over a bump but I got it fixed easily, and the Bose sound system could be a tad louder. Thats it !!