Used 2003 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

I thought Acura's were good?
By ShouldaBoughtaCaddy

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased car used with 90,000km on it. Tranny blew at 185km. Dealer wanted $6000 to replace it, not under warranty. Only under certain VIN's were the trannys covered under warranty. Had a Honda Sabre (Japanese TL) tranny imported from Japan, installed for $3K, seems ok for now. The car is pretty quick. My V8 5.3L GMC Sierra get almost the same MPG. Repairs are expensive and front wheel drive cars are a pain to work on. Honda (Acura) has totally dropped the ball on this one. They have built their reputation on reliability and performance. What happened here Mr Honda? I've had much better luck with my 95 Nissan, my 98 Civic and my 02 GMC Sierra. Shoulda bought a caddy!

HID's, Bose stereo, heated seats, Vtec, memory seats and memory keys.

Transmission, Transmission, Transmission. No compass, I thought this was touring car. Fuel economy is like my V8 truck!

Great Reliable car
By VK

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car new. After 105K miles its still running great. I did have some transmission trouble and while it was out of warranty and did not fall within the recall group, Acura graciously replaced it. Feel good about the safety features.

Love the drive, the power/ acceleration. The navi is great and VSA is great for a poor snow driver.

Surprisingly Economical
By george255

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 61000 miles on it about 9 mos. ago. I have to say, what surprised me the most was the fuel economy. All around driving I have seen approx 24 MPG. On the highway on a long trip - I saw 33-34 mpg! For an intermediate size car - that is amazing. My son has an Acura RSX and that is about what he see on his compact 4 cyl car. So far, I have had no problems with the car. Comfortable and handles reasonably well. Acceleration isn't all that great. Interior is very comfortable - audio system is good. What bugs me - is on a luxury car - you would think it would have sensors to turn the headlights on at dusk! Even my old Malibu had that!

Second Acura and Loving It!!
By SnappiGirl74

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Let me start by telling you this is my second Acura. I bought my TL type-S in 2006 because I needed to have four doors (my CL only had 2). I bought this car with 30,000 miles on it and it now has 120,000. I have NEVER had a single issue with this car...not even with the transmission. The car is powerful and confident when driving, comfortable on long drives. The car's navigation is great, the touchscreen is very user friendly. I upgraded the nav disk once in 2009. The TL is packed with everything that you would need in a car without the outrageous price tag. I am currently getting 27 mpg with both city and highway driving.

Handling, comfort, power, luxury and navigation. This car's price point makes me feel like I got a steal! The reliability of Acura. My TL and CL never cost me in repairs except routine replacement that always lasted longer that manufact. said.

Better tires for all season, better noise control in the cabin (still pretty quiet but could be a little better).

Do Not Buy!!!
By Disappointed

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2003 Acura TL Type S used with 49,000 miles in January of 2008. It WAS a great vehicle until the odometer hit 66,000 miles; that's when the transmission failed and had to be replaced. The cost of the replacement was $3,500. I purchased this vehicle based off of Acura's claim of producing quality and reliable products. My Acura has not exhibited any of these claims. I should have listened to the consumer reviews I read while researching this vehicle. There was an alarming number of reviews warning of transmission replacements. Will not buy another Acura again.

Vtech engine; fuel economy; Bose Stereo; lower profile than newer TL's.

Start with building a quality product and extend the extended warranty for the transmission to ALL 2003 TL's.

• SUV