Used 2003 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

transmission failure
By emmett gonzalez

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2003 TL brand new. Comfortable and smooth ride. Interior features adequate and functioned well since driven off the lot. The transmission failed at 81,000 miles. We never got a notice that the transmission was under recall but the dealer still required me to pay $1,000 out of the $3,000 cost for a new transmission. Previous to the transmission failure they try a "fix," that did not work. Some kind of deal.

Quiet and comfortable ride under all conditions.

Great car minus the transmission problem
By Ed

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The styling was good now the car looks really dated, honestly it is a glorified Honda Accord. Bought car with 50k on it, at 78k tranny went out covered by dealer. Now at 120k it went out again this time costing me $3000 worth of repairs. Dealer was no help this time around. Car is reliable like any Honda starts up every time. Steering has a real heavy feel to it. Drive is nice, interior is ok, the display on radio and hvac look too old now like 80's digital watches black font... I would not recommend this car due to tranny issues. all of them suffer from it.

Bose, heated seats

tranny and get better steering feel, way too overboosted. Should use the S2000 steering rack

I thought Acura's were good?
By ShouldaBoughtaCaddy

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased car used with 90,000km on it. Tranny blew at 185km. Dealer wanted $6000 to replace it, not under warranty. Only under certain VIN's were the trannys covered under warranty. Had a Honda Sabre (Japanese TL) tranny imported from Japan, installed for $3K, seems ok for now. The car is pretty quick. My V8 5.3L GMC Sierra get almost the same MPG. Repairs are expensive and front wheel drive cars are a pain to work on. Honda (Acura) has totally dropped the ball on this one. They have built their reputation on reliability and performance. What happened here Mr Honda? I've had much better luck with my 95 Nissan, my 98 Civic and my 02 GMC Sierra. Shoulda bought a caddy!

HID's, Bose stereo, heated seats, Vtec, memory seats and memory keys.

Transmission, Transmission, Transmission. No compass, I thought this was touring car. Fuel economy is like my V8 truck!

Great Reliable car
By VK

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car new. After 105K miles its still running great. I did have some transmission trouble and while it was out of warranty and did not fall within the recall group, Acura graciously replaced it. Feel good about the safety features.

Love the drive, the power/ acceleration. The navi is great and VSA is great for a poor snow driver.

Surprisingly Economical
By george255

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 61000 miles on it about 9 mos. ago. I have to say, what surprised me the most was the fuel economy. All around driving I have seen approx 24 MPG. On the highway on a long trip - I saw 33-34 mpg! For an intermediate size car - that is amazing. My son has an Acura RSX and that is about what he see on his compact 4 cyl car. So far, I have had no problems with the car. Comfortable and handles reasonably well. Acceleration isn't all that great. Interior is very comfortable - audio system is good. What bugs me - is on a luxury car - you would think it would have sensors to turn the headlights on at dusk! Even my old Malibu had that!