2003 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Acura TL Rules!
By pollardra on 07/28/07 09:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The Acura TL is the best car I have ever owned, and if I were to buy another car today, I would get another TL. It comes loaded with every possible convenience and option standard (except navigation), and it is a terrific value. I plan on keeping my car for many years to come. Acura sets the gold standard.

Caveat emptor
By skpjah on 07/12/07 13:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used - since then the Bose radio went out; the drivers side heated seat element went bad; the headlight lens leaked and the HID transfomer went out; the dash lights went out; the sunroof, dash and other components rattle. Almost all have been fixed but the repairs were very expensive and not what I expected to have to deal with on an Acura. This is the Honda Motor Car Co. premium brand vehicle and it certainly wasn't built like it!

2003 Acura TL Type-S
By vman on 06/25/07 20:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Upscale Accord. Wish I chose the G35 or 330i which had better resale and reliability. Ride is jittery, stiff and not comfortable on city trips. Leather is low quality and went out of shape. Good room inside and seats are OK on long trips. Very thin paint. Squeaks and rattles appeared after first year. CD player broke 4 times. Like any big FWD sedan, the TL eats up front rotors on a regular basis 'coz they are nose heavy cars. I had tranny issues covered by the P/T warranty. Acura extended the trans warranty but long-term use became doubtful. Resale value took a big hit due to the tranny recalls of TLs and other Hondas. This could have been a good car if they offered it in stick.

Comfy
By jfbrown42 on 05/06/07 09:44 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I was looking for a sporty family car, something better than the Mazda 626 ES my wife was driving - bigger, sportier, better gas mileage. We looked at a 2003 TL Type-S and the 2004 models. The 2004s were more edgy looking, had more horspower, and had more tech (bluetooth) but my wife didn't feel that they would go when she stepped on the gas pedal. Also, the 2004 felt smaller on the inside and had a smaller trunk. The trunk is important because we have two little kids. We'd like to be able to go on vacation and not have to rent an SUV for the luggage. I don't really push this car, but it performs well enough and is quite comfortable.

Good but not great
By Andy on 04/10/07 06:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I have been very happy w/ my '03 TL-S. Pros: fun to drive, styling, handling is good. Con: no auto lights, vehicle information display is limited (no mpg, mile remaining, oil life, etc), wiper spray doesn't work below freezing, no dual zone heating/cooling. I had some transmission problems early on, two wheel bolts sheared while driving, and the steering wheel stereo controls quit working about at about 80k. I have always thought I would have been happier with the Infinity G35, which will be my next car most likely.

Like it, but problems
By Dave on 03/01/07 16:07 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I really do like this car. Great interior appointments, Nav is great because you can use it while you drive (good and bad, but you can find restaurants on the fly) and the car has excellent acceleration in the limited powerband. However, I am on my second transmission. The shuffling through gears is rough, and it has issues picking a gear from 45-55 mph. The seats are squeaking, and there is a rattle in the dash. I am going to take it to the dealer to have these fixed before I give it back to them at the end of my lease. Good car, but beware of the transmission and engine issues.

Oh my God!!
By acuralover85 on 02/11/07 22:09 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 2003 Acura TL Type S. This is the car of my dreams. Its fast, gorgeous, and reliable. I cant say anything bad about the car really. I have a great amount of head room (I'm 6 feet), excellent power, and good gas mileage. The car gets so much looks it's outragous. I get compliments on the clean leather interior all the time, and the car has an excellent paint job. I just love how the car came fully loaded with everything. I think I will drive nothing but Acuras from now on.

I went from Ford escort to acura TL
By I need mine on 01/25/07 19:57 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Buying my acura was the best thing that happend to me in a long time. Being a 22 year old man you dont want to just drive anything. I really got sick and tired of my 1994 ford escort and decided it was time to upgrade and get something sophisticated and stylish. This car gets so many looks its outrageous.

OK, but....
By catcher10us on 01/15/07 05:23 AM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third acura, a vigor, 1999 3.2 TL and the 2003 3.2 TL. All in all, a good value, but far from perfect. Brakes and brake rotors have been an issue, from the 1999 to the one I have now. Suspension is a little soft and if you push the car around a corner, you can feel it. Then there are the tranny problems, legend for TL owners. Compared to whats out there in the price range, the TL, especially the new one is a good choice, but, the bloom is off the rose for me in some areas. My lease is up in about 6 months and I will explore all options. The fit and finish on the Acura is still far above that of the Maxima.

Great Value
By DeezNets25 on 11/16/06 13:30 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great acceleration, excellent ride quality, quiet ride, tons of room.