Used 2003 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 453 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Big disappointment
By cwms97

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2003 Acura TL-S in 2006 with about 64,000 miles on it. The car would have been perfect except for the bad transmission. Within 3 months of purchasing the car, I had to get my transmission replaced. A year later the transmission failed again. Leith Acura replaced it the 1st two times. Then 2yrs later, the transmission went out again. Acura wouldn't replace it because of the mileage on my car so I had to get another company to fix my car. Then 1 year later, I am having transmission failure again. I am so dissapointed. Such a nice car with a horrible transmission. I will never buy another Acura again!!!!!!!!!!

Loved the interior design.

Acura need to own up to their incompetence. Find out why so many 03 Acura TL/TL-S owners are having transmission issues and correct the problem. No one wants to pay alot of money for a luxury vehicle and have to put a transmission in every year.

Hole in Piston
By taxrefnd

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've been a long time Honda believer and my immediate family currently own 6 Honda/Acura cars. With my recent experience with a 2003 Acura TL motor, I may never buy another Honda product. First had a CEL and needed a new timing belt tensioner, then 3 months later another CEl and this time it was revealed a hole in the piston. Only had 55K miles and a hole? Was too costly to repair so had a used motor installed. Honda refused to pay for anything siting "out of warranty" Some Honda motor. Now I'm worried about the transmission which is slipping from 2nd to 3rd. Need to get rid of it soon to some poor sucker.

not much anymore

fix your transmission and take ownership for a faulty engine. No more Honda's for me.

disappointing
By ccccccc

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Has well documented transmission problems. I have a 7 yr 100k warranty that expired 3 mos ago & i have 94k. I bought this as a certified used car at an acura dealer. Due to known issues & under mileage talked to Acura Client Svcs. but did no good. S.O.L. Replacement $4500. Do your research or better skip it

roomy, sunroof, bose stereo

Acura you are well aware of your transmission problems on this car. Headlights known for leaking and shorting out HIDs, cost to replace $1300. Ridiculous What a huge disappointment this car has been

transmission failure
By emmett gonzalez

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2003 TL brand new. Comfortable and smooth ride. Interior features adequate and functioned well since driven off the lot. The transmission failed at 81,000 miles. We never got a notice that the transmission was under recall but the dealer still required me to pay $1,000 out of the $3,000 cost for a new transmission. Previous to the transmission failure they try a "fix," that did not work. Some kind of deal.

Quiet and comfortable ride under all conditions.

Great car minus the transmission problem
By Ed

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The styling was good now the car looks really dated, honestly it is a glorified Honda Accord. Bought car with 50k on it, at 78k tranny went out covered by dealer. Now at 120k it went out again this time costing me $3000 worth of repairs. Dealer was no help this time around. Car is reliable like any Honda starts up every time. Steering has a real heavy feel to it. Drive is nice, interior is ok, the display on radio and hvac look too old now like 80's digital watches black font... I would not recommend this car due to tranny issues. all of them suffer from it.

Bose, heated seats

tranny and get better steering feel, way too overboosted. Should use the S2000 steering rack