Used 2003 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Surprisingly Economical
By george255

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 61000 miles on it about 9 mos. ago. I have to say, what surprised me the most was the fuel economy. All around driving I have seen approx 24 MPG. On the highway on a long trip - I saw 33-34 mpg! For an intermediate size car - that is amazing. My son has an Acura RSX and that is about what he see on his compact 4 cyl car. So far, I have had no problems with the car. Comfortable and handles reasonably well. Acceleration isn't all that great. Interior is very comfortable - audio system is good. What bugs me - is on a luxury car - you would think it would have sensors to turn the headlights on at dusk! Even my old Malibu had that!

Favorite Features

Go with the 04 and newer!!
By Jennie

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 03 TL new. The good: under my ownership, I loved the car. The navigation is still among the best and the seats were very comfortable, even during my OK to CA road trip. The traction control kept me safe in the snow (people from San Diego do not belong on snowy roads!) and saved me from possibly killing myself on the highway. The bad: TRANSMISSION!! Acura will only replace the transmissions for specific failure codes which means many of them are no longer being covered under warranty. If you can't afford the expense, stay away! Stay away! Stay away!

Favorite Features

Navigation, interior styling, safety, comfort of ride.

Suggested Improvements

Acura needs to step up and replace ALL transmissions during these model years. Go with the 04-08 model.

Not bad, not great, just okay
By Daniel

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this Acura used after totaling a 2000 BMW 528iT with Sports and Premium packages. It was a good purchase but not of the same luxury features of the BMW so I have never completely bought into an Acura being an upscale car. The fact that mine has “Honda” stamped on the windows makes it difficult to consider it anything more than an expensive Accord. The sheet metal is thin and easily dents. I leaned against the car and left dents in the right rear panel. A small hail storm left minor dings all over the hood, roof and rear. It is not the quality that I expected from an Acura. I do enjoy the car but am constantly looking for my next car.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable, it has a decent design, is cheap to purchase and own, has quick power and easily moves onto and down the freeway. Most of my power equipment works well. The dealer did a recall repair on the transmission with (knock on wood) no problems yet. It’s an okay car.

Suggested Improvements

Thin sheet metal dents easily and poor paint quality leads to scratches and chips. The steering wheel radio dials do not work often, and the passenger heated seat does not work. The sunroof does not leak, but squeaks. It has Honda stamped on the windows. Fuel economy is less than I expected.

2003 TL is a great drive.
By FEVER

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my TL for 2 years and I have nothing but praise for it. The comfortable ride is most impressive as is its get up and go. This is a quality vehicle that gives you the comfort of a heavier vehicle but the ride of a sports car.

Favorite Features

Engine, comfortable ride, acceleration, quiet, overall feel.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Reliable
By Mike Z

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I drive 18000 miles/yr and have had no (none) problems aside from routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

This is one of the larger TLs that Accura has made. The engine is smooth and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

If acceleration is required, the manual shifter does a better job than the automatic transmission.