2003 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Hole in Piston
By taxrefnd on 04/03/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've been a long time Honda believer and my immediate family currently own 6 Honda/Acura cars. With my recent experience with a 2003 Acura TL motor, I may never buy another Honda product. First had a CEL and needed a new timing belt tensioner, then 3 months later another CEl and this time it was revealed a hole in the piston. Only had 55K miles and a hole? Was too costly to repair so had a used motor installed. Honda refused to pay for anything siting "out of warranty" Some Honda motor. Now I'm worried about the transmission which is slipping from 2nd to 3rd. Need to get rid of it soon to some poor sucker.

disappointing
By ccccccc on 04/03/10 00:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Has well documented transmission problems. I have a 7 yr 100k warranty that expired 3 mos ago & i have 94k. I bought this as a certified used car at an acura dealer. Due to known issues & under mileage talked to Acura Client Svcs. but did no good. S.O.L. Replacement $4500. Do your research or better skip it

transmission failure
By emmett gonzalez on 02/20/10 20:03 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2003 TL brand new. Comfortable and smooth ride. Interior features adequate and functioned well since driven off the lot. The transmission failed at 81,000 miles. We never got a notice that the transmission was under recall but the dealer still required me to pay $1,000 out of the $3,000 cost for a new transmission. Previous to the transmission failure they try a "fix," that did not work. Some kind of deal.

Great car minus the transmission problem
By Ed on 01/06/10 10:19 AM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The styling was good now the car looks really dated, honestly it is a glorified Honda Accord. Bought car with 50k on it, at 78k tranny went out covered by dealer. Now at 120k it went out again this time costing me $3000 worth of repairs. Dealer was no help this time around. Car is reliable like any Honda starts up every time. Steering has a real heavy feel to it. Drive is nice, interior is ok, the display on radio and hvac look too old now like 80's digital watches black font... I would not recommend this car due to tranny issues. all of them suffer from it.

I thought Acura's were good?
By ShouldaBoughtaCaddy on 12/08/09 19:23 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased car used with 90,000km on it. Tranny blew at 185km. Dealer wanted $6000 to replace it, not under warranty. Only under certain VIN's were the trannys covered under warranty. Had a Honda Sabre (Japanese TL) tranny imported from Japan, installed for $3K, seems ok for now. The car is pretty quick. My V8 5.3L GMC Sierra get almost the same MPG. Repairs are expensive and front wheel drive cars are a pain to work on. Honda (Acura) has totally dropped the ball on this one. They have built their reputation on reliability and performance. What happened here Mr Honda? I've had much better luck with my 95 Nissan, my 98 Civic and my 02 GMC Sierra. Shoulda bought a caddy!

Great Reliable car
By VK on 12/06/09 15:50 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car new. After 105K miles its still running great. I did have some transmission trouble and while it was out of warranty and did not fall within the recall group, Acura graciously replaced it. Feel good about the safety features.

Surprisingly Economical
By george255 on 10/20/09 08:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 61000 miles on it about 9 mos. ago. I have to say, what surprised me the most was the fuel economy. All around driving I have seen approx 24 MPG. On the highway on a long trip - I saw 33-34 mpg! For an intermediate size car - that is amazing. My son has an Acura RSX and that is about what he see on his compact 4 cyl car. So far, I have had no problems with the car. Comfortable and handles reasonably well. Acceleration isn't all that great. Interior is very comfortable - audio system is good. What bugs me - is on a luxury car - you would think it would have sensors to turn the headlights on at dusk! Even my old Malibu had that!

Second Acura and Loving It!!
By SnappiGirl74 on 09/25/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Let me start by telling you this is my second Acura. I bought my TL type-S in 2006 because I needed to have four doors (my CL only had 2). I bought this car with 30,000 miles on it and it now has 120,000. I have NEVER had a single issue with this car...not even with the transmission. The car is powerful and confident when driving, comfortable on long drives. The car's navigation is great, the touchscreen is very user friendly. I upgraded the nav disk once in 2009. The TL is packed with everything that you would need in a car without the outrageous price tag. I am currently getting 27 mpg with both city and highway driving.

Do Not Buy!!!
By Disappointed on 09/11/09 08:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2003 Acura TL Type S used with 49,000 miles in January of 2008. It WAS a great vehicle until the odometer hit 66,000 miles; that's when the transmission failed and had to be replaced. The cost of the replacement was $3,500. I purchased this vehicle based off of Acura's claim of producing quality and reliable products. My Acura has not exhibited any of these claims. I should have listened to the consumer reviews I read while researching this vehicle. There was an alarming number of reviews warning of transmission replacements. Will not buy another Acura again.

I love my TL-S!
By saige on 06/21/09 22:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my TL used with 37K miles on it after my 9 yr old Prelude bit the dust. I had never purchased a used car and was cautious. I wanted something that was family friendly and reliable, but still had that v-tech since I just LOVED my Prelude. Four years later I have never had any major problems (except the transmission that was recalled and replaced for free by the dealer - it never died completely just was sounding funny, RPMs were strange,etc....) but I could not be more pleased. It pays off next year and I plan to drive it as long as possible. Best purchase ever.