Used 2003 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Did not meet my exectations as a used vehicle purchase
By jacquelineb

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Initially I was proud that my 2003 Acura TL was made in Ohio and purchasing it used fit my budget in 2007. This car can eat four years of family vacations. Expenses include: a rebuilt transmission replacement, convenient electrical features busting. At 80,000 my CD player failed & ate CDs, @ 90,000 CD player buttons on steering wheel failed, @ 100,000 the heated seat feature failed on the passenger side. The one on driver side only heats the back not the bum for which I am keeping my fingers crossed will not fail this week since I need to recover from a back sprain. Leather seats not too durable for no kids no pets family.

For me, I appreciate the 6 cylinders and speed. It provided a smooth ride with good tires and is comfortable for 5 ft. height. My husband says it's fun to drive.

Needs durable transmission and electrical features. For instance at about 85,000 the passenger side air bag was getting dis-engaged due to some malfunctioning sensor that required serviced two times. The last worry I need to have is a inactive air bag/reduced safety features or a transmission failure. Also window wiper motor only operates with two speeds and not three. Repairing it is going to cost a pretty penny or time consuming to locate a used wiper motor. It's really a safety issue when driving in heavy rain or snow conditions.

Love the Type-S!
By corbin12

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our TL Type-S 6 months ago with 76,000 miles on it and we absolutely love it! It's fast and sporty, yet big enough for the whole family. The exterior is beautiful...(dual exhaust adds a ton!) and the interior is flawless. The only problem we had was that something went majorly wrong with the air conditioning system. Many of the parts were worn out and the air was completely warm. The whole system needed to be replaced to the tune of $860. Keep in mind that this car has been in Wisconsin its whole life so it's not like the A/C gets used very often. Other than the crappy A/C we have no problems and no regrets. The Type-S does require premium gas but the extra power given is worth it!

Auto tilt reverse mirrors, 3.2L power, nice leather, sexy design.

Higher quality A/C parts.

Best car I've ever owned
By TimK

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I research my cars thoroughly before I buy. As an engineer I appreciate good design and the Acura is excellent. I buy on performance, reliability, and styling in that order. What attracted me most was that it was the best performing car in it's class according to Consumer Reports and it has not disappointed. Great acceleration with top mileage of about 30 mpg on the highway. Like many others it has had a new transmission but Acura covered the entire cost including an Acura loaner from the dealer. I've had lots of good comments about the deep blue metallic color. 130,000 miles and going strong. On my second set of brakes and third set of tires.

Engine performance and great fuel economy , Bose stereo, and adjustable front seats with 2 memory settings including mirrors. Classic body styling.

Any way to keep performance and economy without premium fuel? I'm hoping that Acrua dumps their current TL body styling soon. I'd like to buy another one but think the current style is ugly. I believe Acura has also reserved the Bose stereo for the RL now. Too bad.

Great experience with this car.
By Bama Jiggs

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my wife's car. We purchased it in July 2003 new. I has given us service far superior to any car we have ever owned. (married 56 years). We returned it to the dealer for a recall on the transmission in 2005. Had the transmission serviced in 2009. The car now has 85,000 miles and still performs like new. On trips we average about 32 MPG. Seldom drive more than 65 MPH. Only problem is premium fuel.

Excellent handling, quiet ride.

include compass in instrumentation and daylight running lights which automatically turn on at dusk.

Omg welllll oiled machine!
By Honest Abe

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Wow wow wow! What a car! I never had a problem with this car ever ever e-v-e-r! Flawless, the best car I have ever owned. I bought the car used in 06. I looked for 3 months to find what looked the best and with no crappy paint work-Pearl White, tan, and spoiler the hottest tl type s enough said. The transmission has never been replaced and it is now 8 years old and has 100,000 mi on it and is rock solid, and I have never been afraid to get on it. I always do my normal maintenance incl synthetic oil, trans fluid change, kn air cleaner cleaning, and umm there has not been a drop of maintenance but a set of tires and brakes. I have never seen a car get so many compliments.

Engine, tons of power, great gas mileage, reliable maint free, is so nice, body is sweet. I cant say enough. Only a fraction of a percent had a trans problem but bad news hits the reviews most.

Keep it up!