2003 Acura TL Consumer Reviews 3

2003 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Fun TL Type S
By Deputydog35 on 04/29/10 05:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is one of the best cars I have ever had! It really quick and shames all those expensive German cars! I have owned my Type S for 5 years now and have had only on problem. The TRANSMISSION! It has be replaces 3 times and now is on it's way out again with only 40,000 miles on the new tranny! Other then that the car has be PERFECT! I am now buying a 2010 TL. These cars are built to last minus the transmission on the older TL's. I also love the Nav even if it's a little slow!

Pretty good all around car
By alehr on 04/26/10 20:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2005 with about 75,000 miles. Unfortunately, about one year or 6,000 miles later my transmission failed. Acura did not cover my specific transmission problem for whatever reason so I ended up spending about $3500 to replace. Other than that, I did replace the timing belt just as a precaution but nothing else major. I still love my car and plan on buying another Acura when this one goes. However, beware of the transmission!

Big disappointment
By cwms97 on 04/23/10 12:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2003 Acura TL-S in 2006 with about 64,000 miles on it. The car would have been perfect except for the bad transmission. Within 3 months of purchasing the car, I had to get my transmission replaced. A year later the transmission failed again. Leith Acura replaced it the 1st two times. Then 2yrs later, the transmission went out again. Acura wouldn't replace it because of the mileage on my car so I had to get another company to fix my car. Then 1 year later, I am having transmission failure again. I am so dissapointed. Such a nice car with a horrible transmission. I will never buy another Acura again!!!!!!!!!!

Hole in Piston
By taxrefnd on 04/03/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've been a long time Honda believer and my immediate family currently own 6 Honda/Acura cars. With my recent experience with a 2003 Acura TL motor, I may never buy another Honda product. First had a CEL and needed a new timing belt tensioner, then 3 months later another CEl and this time it was revealed a hole in the piston. Only had 55K miles and a hole? Was too costly to repair so had a used motor installed. Honda refused to pay for anything siting "out of warranty" Some Honda motor. Now I'm worried about the transmission which is slipping from 2nd to 3rd. Need to get rid of it soon to some poor sucker.

disappointing
By ccccccc on 04/03/10 00:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Has well documented transmission problems. I have a 7 yr 100k warranty that expired 3 mos ago & i have 94k. I bought this as a certified used car at an acura dealer. Due to known issues & under mileage talked to Acura Client Svcs. but did no good. S.O.L. Replacement $4500. Do your research or better skip it

transmission failure
By emmett gonzalez on 02/20/10 20:03 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2003 TL brand new. Comfortable and smooth ride. Interior features adequate and functioned well since driven off the lot. The transmission failed at 81,000 miles. We never got a notice that the transmission was under recall but the dealer still required me to pay $1,000 out of the $3,000 cost for a new transmission. Previous to the transmission failure they try a "fix," that did not work. Some kind of deal.

Great car minus the transmission problem
By Ed on 01/06/10 10:19 AM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The styling was good now the car looks really dated, honestly it is a glorified Honda Accord. Bought car with 50k on it, at 78k tranny went out covered by dealer. Now at 120k it went out again this time costing me $3000 worth of repairs. Dealer was no help this time around. Car is reliable like any Honda starts up every time. Steering has a real heavy feel to it. Drive is nice, interior is ok, the display on radio and hvac look too old now like 80's digital watches black font... I would not recommend this car due to tranny issues. all of them suffer from it.

I thought Acura's were good?
By ShouldaBoughtaCaddy on 12/08/09 19:23 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased car used with 90,000km on it. Tranny blew at 185km. Dealer wanted $6000 to replace it, not under warranty. Only under certain VIN's were the trannys covered under warranty. Had a Honda Sabre (Japanese TL) tranny imported from Japan, installed for $3K, seems ok for now. The car is pretty quick. My V8 5.3L GMC Sierra get almost the same MPG. Repairs are expensive and front wheel drive cars are a pain to work on. Honda (Acura) has totally dropped the ball on this one. They have built their reputation on reliability and performance. What happened here Mr Honda? I've had much better luck with my 95 Nissan, my 98 Civic and my 02 GMC Sierra. Shoulda bought a caddy!

Great Reliable car
By VK on 12/06/09 15:50 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car new. After 105K miles its still running great. I did have some transmission trouble and while it was out of warranty and did not fall within the recall group, Acura graciously replaced it. Feel good about the safety features.

Surprisingly Economical
By george255 on 10/20/09 08:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 61000 miles on it about 9 mos. ago. I have to say, what surprised me the most was the fuel economy. All around driving I have seen approx 24 MPG. On the highway on a long trip - I saw 33-34 mpg! For an intermediate size car - that is amazing. My son has an Acura RSX and that is about what he see on his compact 4 cyl car. So far, I have had no problems with the car. Comfortable and handles reasonably well. Acceleration isn't all that great. Interior is very comfortable - audio system is good. What bugs me - is on a luxury car - you would think it would have sensors to turn the headlights on at dusk! Even my old Malibu had that!