Used 2003 Acura TL 3.2 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

3.2 Sedan (3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific TL model:
My Second and Last Acura
By GERALD P GENNARO on 03/06/15 17:33 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new and currently has about 50,000 miles on it. While this S-type is fun to drive, continues to get good gas mileage, and looks good, I remain disappointed in the many little things that do not now and rarely have ever worked right (garage door opener; auto-dim rear view mirror). Have frequently had total battery failure that, in turn, makes it impossible to even open the trunk. Repairs and maintenance are expensive as compared to my Honda.

Great car with a few exceptions
By fever1 on 04/21/14 08:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

As with most of the 2003 readings, my TL lost its transmission at about 90K. As the warranty was shot after 10 years I had to pay 3K+ for a new transmission, DON'T GO TO THE DEALER or you will pay 5K+ with a lesser warranty. The airbag sensor light went on and the dealer asked $650 to fix it, I figure I went most of my life without ever even wearing a seat belt until it was made a law, I can live with out airbags for awhile. So after 100K that about sums it up the major repairs. The comfort of the drive is the best I ever had, the engine is great; it can throw you back in your seat. Gas mileage is surprisingly good. The leather interior is average at best.

Great Car despite the tranny recall
By sjonly on 06/19/13 20:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car in a dealer's auction with 149 k. I learn about the transmissionrecall and was scare when the car would occasionally shake during gear shifting. Took it the dealer and they stated I needed another transmission asap. Went to my local mechanic and he state transmission is good just had a broken motor mount and fluid need to be flush. Car drove good ever since, I love the speed. I pass newer car with ease. I hit 90 on the road easily going to Atlanta. I would definitely buy one again. My car is till operating but I gave it to my girlfriend since she dented the doors and bumper in an accident.

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!
By 1soccerfan on 01/05/12 18:42 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car Sept 2010 with 110K miles. I drive at least 2,000 miles per month, this car has 141K now. 14 months and I've driven it 31K miles with NO PROBLEMS OR ISSUES. Oil changes and tires only. I drive my cars hard and I expect something to go wrong but the transmission shifts perfect and everything works perfectly. I go on 2-3 hour road trips at least twice a month with no worries. I trade cars about every 2 years and I have to say this is the best one I've had in a long time.

Acura Transmission
By howard42 on 11/13/11 00:51 AM (PST)

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

There are several years of very poor Acura transmissions around 2003. Catastrosphic failures of the transmissions. My 2003 was bought new, babied, garaged, and had an impeccable maintenance record. All maintenance done by dealer. Transmission died at 118,000. Repair cost was 75% of actual value of car so was not worth repairing. Needless to say, Lexus will be my new car company.

Did not meet my exectations as a used vehicle purchase
By jacquelineb on 09/18/11 09:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Initially I was proud that my 2003 Acura TL was made in Ohio and purchasing it used fit my budget in 2007. This car can eat four years of family vacations. Expenses include: a rebuilt transmission replacement, convenient electrical features busting. At 80,000 my CD player failed & ate CDs, @ 90,000 CD player buttons on steering wheel failed, @ 100,000 the heated seat feature failed on the passenger side. The one on driver side only heats the back not the bum for which I am keeping my fingers crossed will not fail this week since I need to recover from a back sprain. Leather seats not too durable for no kids no pets family.

Great experience with this car.
By Bama Jiggs on 08/21/10 14:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my wife's car. We purchased it in July 2003 new. I has given us service far superior to any car we have ever owned. (married 56 years). We returned it to the dealer for a recall on the transmission in 2005. Had the transmission serviced in 2009. The car now has 85,000 miles and still performs like new. On trips we average about 32 MPG. Seldom drive more than 65 MPH. Only problem is premium fuel.

Dump the Car if You Can
By Nadine on 08/06/10 12:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my TL at around 87K miles and it has been nothing but a headache. Last year the transmission had to be replaced. I'm very gentle with the car. The the engine was gummed up so that was another large expense. The rear view mirror had to be replaced because some chemical in the mirror started leaking out. Now the PCM Unit has failed and it will cost $1200 to repair. I'm quite angry with Hendricks Acura in Charlotte right now because they didn't mention that I could get an exchange or a reconditioned PCM which will cost less. They also want to charge me for a 2nd diagnostic before they replace the PCM. This is the absolute worst car I ever owned!

Looks great, built to last
By mocozeke on 08/01/10 06:28 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in 2003, 141,000 miles with no major problems. All parts lasted longer than expected (ex: replaced timing belt at 127,000) and average mileage was better than advertised. This was a car that was close to perfect. I am sad to be giving it up and unfortunately not for another one since Acura has ruined the look at this classic beauty.

Decent vehicle
By Fred on 07/27/10 11:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The transmission went out at 50,000 miles but Acura replaced it under warranty. My stereo control on the steering wheel had a loose ground which I paid the dealer to fix. Other than normal maintenance and tires I have done nothing to the car. I think Acura cares about their service. I was told their dealers get fined by Acura if you rate them less than perfect. I would buy another Acura.