2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Pretty Bummed with Acura
By corbin12 on 12/05/14 13:13 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this TL with about 60,000 miles on it and was very impressed.....for about a year then it started falling apart. A/C needed to be completely replaced. Transmission never shifts down in town, so it hardly ever runs below 2500 RPMs even at low speeds. The exterior trim is faded, the heat controls inside have a mind of their own...you can turn the system off and still have hot air blasting out. The wiring on the steering wheel stereo controls is fried and never worked right. I thought Acura made a quality product but I was very wrong. Disappointed with this car...it's kind of a piece of junk.

My Last Acura
By tcross on 02/14/13 11:10 AM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2003 and have had it serviced at the dealer religiously. I kept it washed, waxed and cleaned inside and out. The car is a lot of fun to drive. It's a little noisy on the inside, though. The transmission went out (second gear recall defect) at 70k miles. The dealer replaced it for free. I spent about 5k to replace motor mounts, timing belt and other major maintenance at 100k. At 101k the clearcoat began failing. At 110, the drive train started wobbling and/or slipping at certain speeds and power settings. At 150k, the car looks awful and isn't worth further repairs. I'm done with Acura.

120,000 miles
By sandie09 on 12/17/12 21:24 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car in 06 with 20k on it! Flawless until 120,000. At 120k the coil went, 4 weeks later transmission dead. I drove it to the dealer and traded it in on an 09 MDX!

Love the Type-S!
By corbin12 on 08/19/11 08:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our TL Type-S 6 months ago with 76,000 miles on it and we absolutely love it! It's fast and sporty, yet big enough for the whole family. The exterior is beautiful...(dual exhaust adds a ton!) and the interior is flawless. The only problem we had was that something went majorly wrong with the air conditioning system. Many of the parts were worn out and the air was completely warm. The whole system needed to be replaced to the tune of $860. Keep in mind that this car has been in Wisconsin its whole life so it's not like the A/C gets used very often. Other than the crappy A/C we have no problems and no regrets. The Type-S does require premium gas but the extra power given is worth it!

Best car I've ever owned
By TimK on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I research my cars thoroughly before I buy. As an engineer I appreciate good design and the Acura is excellent. I buy on performance, reliability, and styling in that order. What attracted me most was that it was the best performing car in it's class according to Consumer Reports and it has not disappointed. Great acceleration with top mileage of about 30 mpg on the highway. Like many others it has had a new transmission but Acura covered the entire cost including an Acura loaner from the dealer. I've had lots of good comments about the deep blue metallic color. 130,000 miles and going strong. On my second set of brakes and third set of tires.

Omg welllll oiled machine!
By Honest Abe on 08/17/10 20:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Wow wow wow! What a car! I never had a problem with this car ever ever e-v-e-r! Flawless, the best car I have ever owned. I bought the car used in 06. I looked for 3 months to find what looked the best and with no crappy paint work-Pearl White, tan, and spoiler the hottest tl type s enough said. The transmission has never been replaced and it is now 8 years old and has 100,000 mi on it and is rock solid, and I have never been afraid to get on it. I always do my normal maintenance incl synthetic oil, trans fluid change, kn air cleaner cleaning, and umm there has not been a drop of maintenance but a set of tires and brakes. I have never seen a car get so many compliments.

Pretty good all around car
By alehr on 04/26/10 20:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2005 with about 75,000 miles. Unfortunately, about one year or 6,000 miles later my transmission failed. Acura did not cover my specific transmission problem for whatever reason so I ended up spending about $3500 to replace. Other than that, I did replace the timing belt just as a precaution but nothing else major. I still love my car and plan on buying another Acura when this one goes. However, beware of the transmission!

disappointing
By ccccccc on 04/03/10 00:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Has well documented transmission problems. I have a 7 yr 100k warranty that expired 3 mos ago & i have 94k. I bought this as a certified used car at an acura dealer. Due to known issues & under mileage talked to Acura Client Svcs. but did no good. S.O.L. Replacement $4500. Do your research or better skip it

Second Acura and Loving It!!
By SnappiGirl74 on 09/25/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Let me start by telling you this is my second Acura. I bought my TL type-S in 2006 because I needed to have four doors (my CL only had 2). I bought this car with 30,000 miles on it and it now has 120,000. I have NEVER had a single issue with this car...not even with the transmission. The car is powerful and confident when driving, comfortable on long drives. The car's navigation is great, the touchscreen is very user friendly. I upgraded the nav disk once in 2009. The TL is packed with everything that you would need in a car without the outrageous price tag. I am currently getting 27 mpg with both city and highway driving.

Do Not Buy!!!
By Disappointed on 09/11/09 08:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2003 Acura TL Type S used with 49,000 miles in January of 2008. It WAS a great vehicle until the odometer hit 66,000 miles; that's when the transmission failed and had to be replaced. The cost of the replacement was $3,500. I purchased this vehicle based off of Acura's claim of producing quality and reliable products. My Acura has not exhibited any of these claims. I should have listened to the consumer reviews I read while researching this vehicle. There was an alarming number of reviews warning of transmission replacements. Will not buy another Acura again.