Used 2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Excellent in every way
By Gail Robinson

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car in 2005 with 50000. It now has over 130,000 and is running strong. I have never had any problems, just routine maint. It has begun "rattling" but it is 12 years old! Handles perfectly, hugs the road, extremely reliable in snow. Couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

It has superior handling. Very quick and agile.

Pretty Bummed with Acura
By corbin12

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this TL with about 60,000 miles on it and was very impressed.....for about a year then it started falling apart. A/C needed to be completely replaced. Transmission never shifts down in town, so it hardly ever runs below 2500 RPMs even at low speeds. The exterior trim is faded, the heat controls inside have a mind of their own...you can turn the system off and still have hot air blasting out. The wiring on the steering wheel stereo controls is fried and never worked right. I thought Acura made a quality product but I was very wrong. Disappointed with this car...it's kind of a piece of junk.

My Last Acura
By tcross

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2003 and have had it serviced at the dealer religiously. I kept it washed, waxed and cleaned inside and out. The car is a lot of fun to drive. It's a little noisy on the inside, though. The transmission went out (second gear recall defect) at 70k miles. The dealer replaced it for free. I spent about 5k to replace motor mounts, timing belt and other major maintenance at 100k. At 101k the clearcoat began failing. At 110, the drive train started wobbling and/or slipping at certain speeds and power settings. At 150k, the car looks awful and isn't worth further repairs. I'm done with Acura.

Favorite Features

It's fast and fun to drive. The engine has been reliable and strong. Handling is nice. Exterior design is ok, if not thrilling.

Suggested Improvements

The clearcoat failed at 100k, and the car was looking awful by 110k. Other antracite TLs of the same vintage all have the same clearcoat failure. It's really inexuseable for a car of this class. So are the transmission/drivetrain problems. Ordinarily, I'd spend the money to replace the transmission or the CV joints, but with the bad paint, it's not worth putting any more money in the car. The sound system (Bose) is just ok. Not as good as the JBL that I had in a Camry XLE. The interior noise level is higher than the Camry as well.

120,000 miles
By sandie09

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car in 06 with 20k on it! Flawless until 120,000. At 120k the coil went, 4 weeks later transmission dead. I drove it to the dealer and traded it in on an 09 MDX!

Love the Type-S!
By corbin12

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our TL Type-S 6 months ago with 76,000 miles on it and we absolutely love it! It's fast and sporty, yet big enough for the whole family. The exterior is beautiful...(dual exhaust adds a ton!) and the interior is flawless. The only problem we had was that something went majorly wrong with the air conditioning system. Many of the parts were worn out and the air was completely warm. The whole system needed to be replaced to the tune of $860. Keep in mind that this car has been in Wisconsin its whole life so it's not like the A/C gets used very often. Other than the crappy A/C we have no problems and no regrets. The Type-S does require premium gas but the extra power given is worth it!

Favorite Features

Auto tilt reverse mirrors, 3.2L power, nice leather, sexy design.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality A/C parts.