2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
My Last Acura
By tcross on 02/14/13 11:10 AM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2003 and have had it serviced at the dealer religiously. I kept it washed, waxed and cleaned inside and out. The car is a lot of fun to drive. It's a little noisy on the inside, though. The transmission went out (second gear recall defect) at 70k miles. The dealer replaced it for free. I spent about 5k to replace motor mounts, timing belt and other major maintenance at 100k. At 101k the clearcoat began failing. At 110, the drive train started wobbling and/or slipping at certain speeds and power settings. At 150k, the car looks awful and isn't worth further repairs. I'm done with Acura.

120,000 miles
By sandie09 on 12/17/12 21:24 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car in 06 with 20k on it! Flawless until 120,000. At 120k the coil went, 4 weeks later transmission dead. I drove it to the dealer and traded it in on an 09 MDX!

What a disappointment
By gralls4771 on 03/24/12 07:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car was my first Honda product after owning nothing but American built cars, I had very high hopes. At first I was very impressed with the Acura, I loved driving it, great for road trips, very powerful and sporty handling. But then I learned of the transmission problems. I felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb..........then mine needed replaced just like so many others. Count on spending about $5000 from Acura. This happened at 90K, then at 113K the engine started making internal ticking noises. Dealer recommended new engine. Really? Entire drive train replaced by 113K with a perfect maintenance record? Sold the car that day. So turned off by Honda now.

Love the Type-S!
By corbin12 on 08/19/11 08:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our TL Type-S 6 months ago with 76,000 miles on it and we absolutely love it! It's fast and sporty, yet big enough for the whole family. The exterior is beautiful...(dual exhaust adds a ton!) and the interior is flawless. The only problem we had was that something went majorly wrong with the air conditioning system. Many of the parts were worn out and the air was completely warm. The whole system needed to be replaced to the tune of $860. Keep in mind that this car has been in Wisconsin its whole life so it's not like the A/C gets used very often. Other than the crappy A/C we have no problems and no regrets. The Type-S does require premium gas but the extra power given is worth it!

Best car I've ever owned
By TimK on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I research my cars thoroughly before I buy. As an engineer I appreciate good design and the Acura is excellent. I buy on performance, reliability, and styling in that order. What attracted me most was that it was the best performing car in it's class according to Consumer Reports and it has not disappointed. Great acceleration with top mileage of about 30 mpg on the highway. Like many others it has had a new transmission but Acura covered the entire cost including an Acura loaner from the dealer. I've had lots of good comments about the deep blue metallic color. 130,000 miles and going strong. On my second set of brakes and third set of tires.

Omg welllll oiled machine!
By Honest Abe on 08/17/10 20:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Wow wow wow! What a car! I never had a problem with this car ever ever e-v-e-r! Flawless, the best car I have ever owned. I bought the car used in 06. I looked for 3 months to find what looked the best and with no crappy paint work-Pearl White, tan, and spoiler the hottest tl type s enough said. The transmission has never been replaced and it is now 8 years old and has 100,000 mi on it and is rock solid, and I have never been afraid to get on it. I always do my normal maintenance incl synthetic oil, trans fluid change, kn air cleaner cleaning, and umm there has not been a drop of maintenance but a set of tires and brakes. I have never seen a car get so many compliments.

Still great after 7 years
By ZacharyV on 07/07/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Now with 170,000 miles, this car still runs great with no problems. Transmission was fixed under recall several years ago. Otherwise, no major problems. Very fun to drive and show off. One great looking car in nighthawk black Pearl. (and get compliments on it still).

Fun TL Type S
By Deputydog35 on 04/29/10 05:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is one of the best cars I have ever had! It really quick and shames all those expensive German cars! I have owned my Type S for 5 years now and have had only on problem. The TRANSMISSION! It has be replaces 3 times and now is on it's way out again with only 40,000 miles on the new tranny! Other then that the car has be PERFECT! I am now buying a 2010 TL. These cars are built to last minus the transmission on the older TL's. I also love the Nav even if it's a little slow!

Pretty good all around car
By alehr on 04/26/10 20:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2005 with about 75,000 miles. Unfortunately, about one year or 6,000 miles later my transmission failed. Acura did not cover my specific transmission problem for whatever reason so I ended up spending about $3500 to replace. Other than that, I did replace the timing belt just as a precaution but nothing else major. I still love my car and plan on buying another Acura when this one goes. However, beware of the transmission!

Big disappointment
By cwms97 on 04/23/10 12:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2003 Acura TL-S in 2006 with about 64,000 miles on it. The car would have been perfect except for the bad transmission. Within 3 months of purchasing the car, I had to get my transmission replaced. A year later the transmission failed again. Leith Acura replaced it the 1st two times. Then 2yrs later, the transmission went out again. Acura wouldn't replace it because of the mileage on my car so I had to get another company to fix my car. Then 1 year later, I am having transmission failure again. I am so dissapointed. Such a nice car with a horrible transmission. I will never buy another Acura again!!!!!!!!!!