Used 2003 Acura TL 3.2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

My Second and Last Acura
By GERALD P GENNARO

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new and currently has about 50,000 miles on it. While this S-type is fun to drive, continues to get good gas mileage, and looks good, I remain disappointed in the many little things that do not now and rarely have ever worked right (garage door opener; auto-dim rear view mirror). Have frequently had total battery failure that, in turn, makes it impossible to even open the trunk. Repairs and maintenance are expensive as compared to my Honda.

Redesign the key fob so it can't easily be activated while in your pants' pocket.

Great car with a few exceptions
By fever1

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

As with most of the 2003 readings, my TL lost its transmission at about 90K. As the warranty was shot after 10 years I had to pay 3K+ for a new transmission, DON'T GO TO THE DEALER or you will pay 5K+ with a lesser warranty. The airbag sensor light went on and the dealer asked $650 to fix it, I figure I went most of my life without ever even wearing a seat belt until it was made a law, I can live with out airbags for awhile. So after 100K that about sums it up the major repairs. The comfort of the drive is the best I ever had, the engine is great; it can throw you back in your seat. Gas mileage is surprisingly good. The leather interior is average at best.

Engine, comfort, reliable, fun to drive.

Leather interior and transmission should have had lifetime recall it was so prevalent.

Great Car despite the tranny recall
By sjonly

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car in a dealer's auction with 149 k. I learn about the transmissionrecall and was scare when the car would occasionally shake during gear shifting. Took it the dealer and they stated I needed another transmission asap. Went to my local mechanic and he state transmission is good just had a broken motor mount and fluid need to be flush. Car drove good ever since, I love the speed. I pass newer car with ease. I hit 90 on the road easily going to Atlanta. I would definitely buy one again. My car is till operating but I gave it to my girlfriend since she dented the doors and bumper in an accident.

5 speed transmission

wish the trunk access was both with key and remote.

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!
By 1soccerfan

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car Sept 2010 with 110K miles. I drive at least 2,000 miles per month, this car has 141K now. 14 months and I've driven it 31K miles with NO PROBLEMS OR ISSUES. Oil changes and tires only. I drive my cars hard and I expect something to go wrong but the transmission shifts perfect and everything works perfectly. I go on 2-3 hour road trips at least twice a month with no worries. I trade cars about every 2 years and I have to say this is the best one I've had in a long time.

Acura Transmission
By howard42

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

There are several years of very poor Acura transmissions around 2003. Catastrosphic failures of the transmissions. My 2003 was bought new, babied, garaged, and had an impeccable maintenance record. All maintenance done by dealer. Transmission died at 118,000. Repair cost was 75% of actual value of car so was not worth repairing. Needless to say, Lexus will be my new car company.