2003 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Pretty Bummed with Acura
By corbin12 on 12/05/14 13:13 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this TL with about 60,000 miles on it and was very impressed.....for about a year then it started falling apart. A/C needed to be completely replaced. Transmission never shifts down in town, so it hardly ever runs below 2500 RPMs even at low speeds. The exterior trim is faded, the heat controls inside have a mind of their own...you can turn the system off and still have hot air blasting out. The wiring on the steering wheel stereo controls is fried and never worked right. I thought Acura made a quality product but I was very wrong. Disappointed with this car...it's kind of a piece of junk.

Great car with a few exceptions
By fever1 on 04/21/14 08:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

As with most of the 2003 readings, my TL lost its transmission at about 90K. As the warranty was shot after 10 years I had to pay 3K+ for a new transmission, DON'T GO TO THE DEALER or you will pay 5K+ with a lesser warranty. The airbag sensor light went on and the dealer asked $650 to fix it, I figure I went most of my life without ever even wearing a seat belt until it was made a law, I can live with out airbags for awhile. So after 100K that about sums it up the major repairs. The comfort of the drive is the best I ever had, the engine is great; it can throw you back in your seat. Gas mileage is surprisingly good. The leather interior is average at best.

Great Car despite the tranny recall
By sjonly on 06/19/13 20:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car in a dealer's auction with 149 k. I learn about the transmissionrecall and was scare when the car would occasionally shake during gear shifting. Took it the dealer and they stated I needed another transmission asap. Went to my local mechanic and he state transmission is good just had a broken motor mount and fluid need to be flush. Car drove good ever since, I love the speed. I pass newer car with ease. I hit 90 on the road easily going to Atlanta. I would definitely buy one again. My car is till operating but I gave it to my girlfriend since she dented the doors and bumper in an accident.

My Last Acura
By tcross on 02/14/13 11:10 AM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2003 and have had it serviced at the dealer religiously. I kept it washed, waxed and cleaned inside and out. The car is a lot of fun to drive. It's a little noisy on the inside, though. The transmission went out (second gear recall defect) at 70k miles. The dealer replaced it for free. I spent about 5k to replace motor mounts, timing belt and other major maintenance at 100k. At 101k the clearcoat began failing. At 110, the drive train started wobbling and/or slipping at certain speeds and power settings. At 150k, the car looks awful and isn't worth further repairs. I'm done with Acura.

120,000 miles
By sandie09 on 12/17/12 21:24 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car in 06 with 20k on it! Flawless until 120,000. At 120k the coil went, 4 weeks later transmission dead. I drove it to the dealer and traded it in on an 09 MDX!

What a disappointment
By gralls4771 on 03/24/12 07:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car was my first Honda product after owning nothing but American built cars, I had very high hopes. At first I was very impressed with the Acura, I loved driving it, great for road trips, very powerful and sporty handling. But then I learned of the transmission problems. I felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb..........then mine needed replaced just like so many others. Count on spending about $5000 from Acura. This happened at 90K, then at 113K the engine started making internal ticking noises. Dealer recommended new engine. Really? Entire drive train replaced by 113K with a perfect maintenance record? Sold the car that day. So turned off by Honda now.

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!
By 1soccerfan on 01/05/12 18:42 PM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car Sept 2010 with 110K miles. I drive at least 2,000 miles per month, this car has 141K now. 14 months and I've driven it 31K miles with NO PROBLEMS OR ISSUES. Oil changes and tires only. I drive my cars hard and I expect something to go wrong but the transmission shifts perfect and everything works perfectly. I go on 2-3 hour road trips at least twice a month with no worries. I trade cars about every 2 years and I have to say this is the best one I've had in a long time.

Acura Transmission
By howard42 on 11/13/11 00:51 AM (PST)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

There are several years of very poor Acura transmissions around 2003. Catastrosphic failures of the transmissions. My 2003 was bought new, babied, garaged, and had an impeccable maintenance record. All maintenance done by dealer. Transmission died at 118,000. Repair cost was 75% of actual value of car so was not worth repairing. Needless to say, Lexus will be my new car company.

Did not meet my exectations as a used vehicle purchase
By jacquelineb on 09/18/11 09:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Initially I was proud that my 2003 Acura TL was made in Ohio and purchasing it used fit my budget in 2007. This car can eat four years of family vacations. Expenses include: a rebuilt transmission replacement, convenient electrical features busting. At 80,000 my CD player failed & ate CDs, @ 90,000 CD player buttons on steering wheel failed, @ 100,000 the heated seat feature failed on the passenger side. The one on driver side only heats the back not the bum for which I am keeping my fingers crossed will not fail this week since I need to recover from a back sprain. Leather seats not too durable for no kids no pets family.

Love the Type-S!
By corbin12 on 08/19/11 08:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our TL Type-S 6 months ago with 76,000 miles on it and we absolutely love it! It's fast and sporty, yet big enough for the whole family. The exterior is beautiful...(dual exhaust adds a ton!) and the interior is flawless. The only problem we had was that something went majorly wrong with the air conditioning system. Many of the parts were worn out and the air was completely warm. The whole system needed to be replaced to the tune of $860. Keep in mind that this car has been in Wisconsin its whole life so it's not like the A/C gets used very often. Other than the crappy A/C we have no problems and no regrets. The Type-S does require premium gas but the extra power given is worth it!