Used 2003 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Excellent in every way
By Gail Robinson

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car in 2005 with 50000. It now has over 130,000 and is running strong. I have never had any problems, just routine maint. It has begun "rattling" but it is 12 years old! Handles perfectly, hugs the road, extremely reliable in snow. Couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

It has superior handling. Very quick and agile.

My Second and Last Acura
By GERALD P GENNARO

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new and currently has about 50,000 miles on it. While this S-type is fun to drive, continues to get good gas mileage, and looks good, I remain disappointed in the many little things that do not now and rarely have ever worked right (garage door opener; auto-dim rear view mirror). Have frequently had total battery failure that, in turn, makes it impossible to even open the trunk. Repairs and maintenance are expensive as compared to my Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the key fob so it can't easily be activated while in your pants' pocket.

Pretty Bummed with Acura
By corbin12

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this TL with about 60,000 miles on it and was very impressed.....for about a year then it started falling apart. A/C needed to be completely replaced. Transmission never shifts down in town, so it hardly ever runs below 2500 RPMs even at low speeds. The exterior trim is faded, the heat controls inside have a mind of their own...you can turn the system off and still have hot air blasting out. The wiring on the steering wheel stereo controls is fried and never worked right. I thought Acura made a quality product but I was very wrong. Disappointed with this car...it's kind of a piece of junk.

Great car with a few exceptions
By fever1

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

As with most of the 2003 readings, my TL lost its transmission at about 90K. As the warranty was shot after 10 years I had to pay 3K+ for a new transmission, DON'T GO TO THE DEALER or you will pay 5K+ with a lesser warranty. The airbag sensor light went on and the dealer asked $650 to fix it, I figure I went most of my life without ever even wearing a seat belt until it was made a law, I can live with out airbags for awhile. So after 100K that about sums it up the major repairs. The comfort of the drive is the best I ever had, the engine is great; it can throw you back in your seat. Gas mileage is surprisingly good. The leather interior is average at best.

Favorite Features

Engine, comfort, reliable, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Leather interior and transmission should have had lifetime recall it was so prevalent.

Great Car despite the tranny recall
By sjonly

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car in a dealer's auction with 149 k. I learn about the transmissionrecall and was scare when the car would occasionally shake during gear shifting. Took it the dealer and they stated I needed another transmission asap. Went to my local mechanic and he state transmission is good just had a broken motor mount and fluid need to be flush. Car drove good ever since, I love the speed. I pass newer car with ease. I hit 90 on the road easily going to Atlanta. I would definitely buy one again. My car is till operating but I gave it to my girlfriend since she dented the doors and bumper in an accident.

Favorite Features

5 speed transmission

Suggested Improvements

wish the trunk access was both with key and remote.