Nice car, terrible transmission
By Ralow on
2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)
All the transmission issues you hear about the TL's are very real. I bought mine as a 1 owner trade with 109K. I did all the research and found that the transmission had the recall done and it was serviced at the local Acura dealer. So I went ahead and bought it thinking it might be OK. WRONG. Had to replace the transmission 3 weeks after I bought it & Acura wasn't willing to help out AT ALL even though it was only a few miles over the recall warranty. Needless to say, I ended up paying $4000 extra for a new tranny. The replacement is under warranty for 3 yrs/36,000 but I will likely never buy another used Acura again. Too much hassle and no reliability. Acura's reputation is tarnished IMO.
Favorite Features
Type S engine, excellent handling for stock rims, Bose stereo system, interior room. Overall, a pretty good car if not for the terrible transmission and other minor things that add up.
Suggested Improvements
This an old model so all the crappy transmission issues have been fixed by now. The build/frame of this model seems to have some issues as well since I hear random rattles and other noises when on the highway. There are also issues with the display on the stereo.