Used 2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Acura/Honda = Quality???????
By PhiKapp33

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Ok, bought the car with 38000 miles on it as a certified Acura. Car has 58000 on it and the transmission COMPLETELY went out. I bought an Acura because I expected reliability and quality up through 200,000 miles. I'm sorely disappointed. Might as well have bought a Ford.

Gas mileage with 260 hp. Looks. Performance. Bose Stereo.

Quality Issues. I was a huge believer in Honda products. Probably won't buy another after this episode.

Horror Transmissions!
By SlipGears

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I can't even imagine how Acura can get away with selling cars with repeated problem transmissions. I bought an 01 CL-S and had 4 transmissions. Just bought a certified 02 TL-S 3 weeks ago and it is already at the dealer for a new trans. Reverse jumps and sometimes won't respond, 1st to second jumps, 2nd to 3rd jumps, and it downshifts on me without notice while driving. These cars are unsafe and unreliable. I do not recommend buying Acura. You get a lot of features for your money, but it won't help you if you can't drive the car! Replaced transmissions are rebuilds. Acura should solve the problem, not delay it until you need another trans 20k miles later.

Solve the issues. Dont give rebuilds. Figure out the problem and actually fix it.

Japanese Reliability & Fun
By Mike

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my car as a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle from an Acura dealership and have no real complaints. The car is responsive, fast, and gets around 32 miles per gallon (not bad for 260 HP). It cruises down the interstate barely turning over 2000 RPMs at 75 MPH and red lines at 6900 RPMs. She has a lot of juice, especially off the line. The front seats, however, are not very comfortable and your rear gets sore on long rides. The buckets simply aren't deep enough and there isn't enough padding. As far as reliability, I live where it is -40 below in the winter, no plug-in, and no garage, and the car fires right up. Too bad they ruined TLs with the new 2004 design (yuk!).

Japanese reliability, in-dash 6-disc changer, Type-S package, sheer power, handling, spacious truck, not over- cluttered interior, body styling (simple, but refined). I basically love this car.

The front seats are uncomfortable on long rides. Need deeper buckets and more padding. Also, the large foglights are prone to stone damage and expensive to replace ($220 per glass casing, not including lamp or installation).

all around great car
By Knine

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car since its release date in July '01. It's fast, handles well, has a tight turning radius and corners like a race car. So far its been reliable (no $$ other then regular maintenance), very comfortable and great for road trips with the optional Navi. I've had many cars before this, including a a '99 Chrysler 300M (which was a lemon) and never even thought of keeping them ... I'd highly recommend purchasing this car if youre thinking about it ... and then recommend picking a city 500+ miles away and take a week off. Enjoy.

Type S (260 HP, sport suspension), Navi

in dash CD player is a little fragile and mine crapped out two hundred miles after my warranty expired (50K miles)my Ipod with FM transmitter is a cheaper fix then the $600 + for parts and $300 labor from Acura

Great car for the Money
By coolnincali

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have read the reviews and must say that I agree with those that say the car is great. Those of you that got a car that was sub-par....sorry to say, you got the ONE lemon. This car has been great in every aspect of performance, value, and quality. I bought my car used with 32,000 on it and it now has 56,000 on it and the only thing I have had to do is regular maintenence. The interior is great and extremely comfortable. I like the heated seats and the fact that it has memory seating. I like the sequential sportshift better than when it's in automatic mode. I fee more in control and it seems to respond better. All in all Honda built a great car for the money with a small taste of luxury

sequential sportshift, power moonroof, memory seating, heated seats, navigation

High performance tires should come standard with a high performance vehicle. Change the tires out it will make a huge difference.

• SUV