Used 2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Needed 2 of these cars!!!
By dogteam on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought my wife's 3.2 Type S in 2001 so we have had it a while. After over 30k miles it hasn't had to be repaired for anything. The main thing I hate is it is hard not to get a ticket in this car because it goes to fast and makes you try to take turns faster.

Acura TLS Type
By Paul C. Daily on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Problems w/ air and brakes were minor. Dealer service is abhorant. Worst I have experienced in 18 new cars. Sales personnel, however, are helpful but have no control over service. Bought new BMW just to avoid going to Bradshaw Acura for service on 3.2 TLS

Big Sporty Value Champ Car
By davidO on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my '02 TL-S (non-nav) for some time. Considered BMW 325xi/330xi, Audi A4, Nissan Maxima, Saab 9.3, Lexus IS300/ES300. Acura won by being $10k less than the BMW for the same features and being more reliable. Audi A4 not reliable enough. Maxima not luxury-oriented; Saab to expensive and not reliable. Lexus IS300 is rear-wheel and so not appropriate in the snow; ES300 won't handle -- too soft.

Good car, minor problems
By TL Guy on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Over all this is a great car. There were a few problems I had with it early on after only one year, the transmission died out, but from my understanding it was known problem, and they fixed it. The only problem I had with this was they gave me a little cheap rental car during the 2 weeks it took to fix it, they stuck me in a little neon, not something I would expect, especially after only 1 year, with a higher end car like this. But I still love the car, its fast, fun to drive, a great deal. Their service just needs a little work.

4 door sport car
By lefty on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

well rounded with many features at a good value

Acura 2003 TL-S
By on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The car has 5000 with no trouble. Handles well, excellent pickup, great gas milage.

Good value for the buck
By SKARPGOLF on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have had for about 4 weeks no complaints nav system excellent. I do not understand what some folks think nav should do. It gets you alot closer than if you had to guess where to go. Would like to see DVD updates on regular basis. Fun to drive extremely quiet and responsive handling. Bose system has exceptional sound, Six cd in dash a real plus. Would like to see automatic headlight system and possibly some driver info system. Having the nav plus on star a big selling feature for this driver.

Tranny problems knock it out for 2 weeks
By masterjps on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

While I love my type S, Acura has a known issue with a bearing in the transmission that wears out far too fast and leaves the car stranded. I encountered this problem during a 1200 mile road trip. Fortunately, I was only 40 miles away from an Acura dealership. While they gave me a decent rental car, I miss my Acura. Not only that, now I have to go pick it up 600 miles from home. I love the car, and hopefully, this is the only issue I'll have. When buying or leasing, make sure your Acura does not have the faulty transmission bearing installed, or get it replaced immediately.

Glorified Honda Accord
By disappointed_guy on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I found that it was a glorified 6 cylinder Accord with a little bit better tuned engine. I was relatively pleased with the engine and the performance but thoroughly disappointed by the rampant reuse of Honda Accord parts and peices all over the car. I was disappointed by some vibration related noises that I started hearing after a few months. The seats and the seat belts are also very noisy in the front. The navigation system is very good. The stereo is very very ordinary, no base and very poor amplification. The price was good. The exterior looks good only with a spoiler, else it is a bit rounded from the back.

Soo Money
By lookin4money on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

For the money, I think this is hands down the best deal on the road at any price! The car corners great! Is amazing on the highway. You can get into any slot you want in rush-hour traffic with its acceloration and braking. Maybe the only complaint is that the acceleration seems more responsive in Auto than in Sport shift mode (were it is a little slow to shift). I love the sound system!!! Anyone who wishes for more base isn't really a music lover anyway. You can have the base as loud as it gets, feel it, and yet still hear the music as you should. WHAT A BUY!