Used 2002 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Running the tranny
By Nancy

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving my acura. I step on the gas and it feels like someone tapped the back of the car as it takes off smoothly and very quickly. I have had the car 5 yrs and many highway miles. Very comfortable, best car I have had. Feel safe and quick in traffic. Mechanically it has been not so fun. Lots of transmission problems. I have had to replace the tranny several times, Acura took care of the expense. Had difficulty with brakes wearing quickly, but think I found better pads now. Car has plenty of room, yet not too big. I love the Aegean blue, lots of compliments.

It is a very quick car and comfortable ride. The Aegean Blue color is very nice, lots of compliments. The stereo system is great as well. It looks sharp from any angle.

Improve the brakes and the transmission problems.

Nice car to own
By tst32tl

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Own this car for 5 years and it never had any major problems (except the transmission recall, and they automatically provide extended warranty to 100,000 mi no charge). Very comfortable and nice. Probably will buy the same car when ready to get my next car.

So Far, So Good
By Mdblimited

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my TL with 38k pre-certified from a dealership. It has been reliable, comfortable, and economical, plus good performance. The original Michelin tires are junk (bought Bridgestone Turanzas) and the foglights are an invitation for rocks. My vehicle is black and has a little chipping on the roof that the dealership alledges is from sap. There are no other paint defects. The transmission has been fine, but it does shift with force into second gear when driving slowly. I don't know if this is because the car has so much torque or a tranny problem. Either way, it is covered to 100k... and it will be traded in before then. The seats could be deeper. But it is fast and reliable.

Mileage (30+ hwy), Performance, Reliability, Interior Refinement, Sharp Exterior

Deeper Bucket Seats, Illuminated Buttons on Steering Wheel, Wider Tires (should have 225s instead of 215s)

Love my TL-S
By snowman81

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Tranny problems exist in some CL/TL/MDX but Acura has provided an extension on the warranty to 7yr/100,000 miles. Other than that the car is wonderful. I've added a few things for my preference to get a little more juice out of the engine and changed the suspension, however, stock the car does extremely well. A great combo of sport and luxury with the Type S.

Type S features, Navigation System, Sport Shift

Move e-brake location, full size spare, more room in back seat (leg room)

Nothing but a Honda for me!
By Honda Lover

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2002 Acura TL-type S used with 37,000 miles; I believed it was a leased vehicle before I purchased it. This is my 2nd Acura purchase; my first was a 1990 Acura Legend LS that had 186k miles on it when I sold it. I have been nothing but happy with the purchase of my TL. And, I know that I am not going to get ripped off by the dealer when I take it there for service.

sportiness, horsepower, heated seats

rear wheel wells that wouldn't rust so quickly in the cars life. a sunroof that opens all the way into the car.