Used 2002 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Still getting compliments!
By michaelrt

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have mostly highway miles on my car (90k) and it has yet to fail on me. Got a new transmission at 65k miles, but only because the dealer notices something that I wouldn't have (I'm pretty anal about noises and drive changes). Mine is Blue Pearl and people still compliment me on the car when they see it. And everyone who sits in it loves the all-black design. I'd like if the paint were a little tougher, but it still shines in most light. The original tires were crap (Michelin), but the handling and drive GREATLY improved with Falkens and Yokohamas. The gas mileage has been great. I got 32mpg highway at 75-80mph numerous times. Usually I get 25mpg mixed.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage for the power, color (blue), interior, overall reliability, highway acceleration, type S leather hugging seats, stiff suspension

Suggested Improvements

transmission problems, fog lights break too often

A little disappointed in my TL
By pjeffs

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My Acura has been somewhat disappointing. I have been a loyal Honda driver for over 10 years and I have not liked my 2002 Acura. There is a rattle in the rear speaker that I have had the dealer attempt to repair 4 times, to no avail.

Favorite Features

My TL has more features for the money than most cars in its class. However, if the car doesn't perform, its worth the extra $ to have one that does.

Suggested Improvements

Problem resolution programs would inprove my situation.

To many Noises.
By branson

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Many squeaks and rattles that the dealership cannot fix.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the manufacture interior quality control and train the dealership to listen to customers.

Acura Stinks
By Steve

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Be careful of the self dimming mirrors. Bought mine used from a family member with 60000 miles. The mirrors actually have an acid in them. They will leak acid all over your shift lever and the trim (real nice) and melt it. Tranny had the recall done and I am starting to notice problems with it now (currently 68000 original miles). Customer service has got to be the worst in the country. i have had better customer service at a local Sonic drive in. Will never buy another Honda product ever again. The Brakes stink also. The rotors warped and replaced with after market parts and is fone now. Did the work myself and was pretty easy.

Favorite Features

Navigation works well, but way over- priced for upgrades

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of cheap mirrors and do something about the transmission. For a 35-40,000 dollar car you would think they could do that right.

Buy a BMW!
By NoAcurafan

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

A disappointing car. Transaxle failed at 25K miles, took 5 dealer visits to get repaired. ABS sensor failed. Dealer used the wrong viscosity oil on two services. The correct oil (5W20) is down the street at Pep Boys, dealer doesn't care. 40-foot turning radius is huge. Handles heavy, not nimble, plows in turns. Not a "fun" car. Stock tires howl, ride is always jiggly. Rear seat doesn't fold down. No key hole for trunk. No tether for the gas cap! Minimal headroom. Navigation system is a $2000 mistake--way too complex. Buy a gas station map and save $2K. Not a quality car or dealer, and my first and last Acura.

Favorite Features

Power 32 mpg highway, 20 overall.

Suggested Improvements

Smaller turning circle. Smoother ride. Better dealers. Quieter tires. More nimble handling. Simpler navigation system.