2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Former Acura Fan
By Also Disappointed on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Considered the A4 and BMW 3-series before buying the Type-S. I love the car when it isn't in the shop; great performance and styling;long list of standard features. HOWEVER, this car has been nothing but problems from the start. The problems have ranged from a broken 6 disc changer, replacement of wheel bearing, new airbag sensor to a new transmission. The car has not been abused while driving and I follow the maintenance schedule Acura suggests with dealer service. Although covered under warranty they are certainly not what you would expect from an Acura or any supposed luxury car. I am extremely DISAPPOINTED in the car.

transmittion problem
By vli on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The transmittion can not get over 3rd gear. RPM is running high while car is not moving, it is like running at neutral gear. I love the car otherwise.

2002 TL "S" Type
By Paul C. Daily on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The TL S type is the best car I have ever owned (out of 16 new ones). It is very fast, yet gets 22 mpg in town and 30 on the hwy. However, my experience with the dealer service is the worst I have ever experienced. Pure arrogance and extremely poor customer service is not what I expected from Acura. For this reason, the car is for sale and I have just purchased a new BMW.

Buy a BMW!
By NoAcurafan on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

A disappointing car. Transaxle failed at 25K miles, took 5 dealer visits to get repaired. ABS sensor failed. Dealer used the wrong viscosity oil on two services. The correct oil (5W20) is down the street at Pep Boys, dealer doesn't care. 40-foot turning radius is huge. Handles heavy, not nimble, plows in turns. Not a "fun" car. Stock tires howl, ride is always jiggly. Rear seat doesn't fold down. No key hole for trunk. No tether for the gas cap! Minimal headroom. Navigation system is a $2000 mistake--way too complex. Buy a gas station map and save $2K. Not a quality car or dealer, and my first and last Acura.

To many Noises.
By branson on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Many squeaks and rattles that the dealership cannot fix.

Anonomous but so satisfying
By wolf20910 on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

On both long and short trips the car has been flawless. It is fast, silent and very comfortable. On a recent 2,200 mile trip it delivered 30mpg at hwy speeds. We are so very pleased with it.

2002 TL-S in Georgia
By Crawdad on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car in December 2002. As of March 13, 2003 is has 12400 miles. The car is quick and quiet. Comfort on long trips is very good. The CD changer is nice on long and short trips. The exterior should be made to look more sporty. I think the BMW 3-Series looks better. Gas mileage has been around 22 MPG average for the first year.

Best car I've ever owned
By Jeff Traintime on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is just pure fun. Looks, power, safety, everything. Each time I look at it I smile, whenever I drive it, it's pure joy. The extra $2,000 for the S model is clearly worth it, in that it turns this great car from a mere low end luxury model to a powerful beast with attitude.

02 Acura TL
By M.Ziolo TL on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I looked at the BMW 330,325,M-B c320,lexus IS,ES,GS, and Infinti G35 and this baby has better quality, engine, and cooler styling than the rest. The TL is best bang for the buck.

Needed 2 of these cars!!!
By dogteam on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought my wife's 3.2 Type S in 2001 so we have had it a while. After over 30k miles it hasn't had to be repaired for anything. The main thing I hate is it is hard not to get a ticket in this car because it goes to fast and makes you try to take turns faster.