Used 2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Love my TL-S
By snowman81

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Tranny problems exist in some CL/TL/MDX but Acura has provided an extension on the warranty to 7yr/100,000 miles. Other than that the car is wonderful. I've added a few things for my preference to get a little more juice out of the engine and changed the suspension, however, stock the car does extremely well. A great combo of sport and luxury with the Type S.

Type S features, Navigation System, Sport Shift

Move e-brake location, full size spare, more room in back seat (leg room)

Nothing but a Honda for me!
By Honda Lover

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2002 Acura TL-type S used with 37,000 miles; I believed it was a leased vehicle before I purchased it. This is my 2nd Acura purchase; my first was a 1990 Acura Legend LS that had 186k miles on it when I sold it. I have been nothing but happy with the purchase of my TL. And, I know that I am not going to get ripped off by the dealer when I take it there for service.

sportiness, horsepower, heated seats

rear wheel wells that wouldn't rust so quickly in the cars life. a sunroof that opens all the way into the car.

Quality Ride
By Adam

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car from the dealerships pre-owned certified program which gives you one more year to the base warranty and 12,000 extra miles. Good program. The car had 12,800 miles upon delivery. It has been very reliable and enjoyable to drive. I have not experienced any of the transmission problems that other drivers have experienced, maybe they should try servicing the transmission every 35,000 miles like I do to avoid potential problems. Lubricatiuon is everything! I had one recall issue to deal with which was minor, transmission needed a second gear jet kit that the dealer installed to avoid any potential overheating. I had never even experienced a problem but installed the kit anyway

Bose stereo sounds great, full power, good quality leather interior. Vehicle stability control, upgraded suspension with the S model, sport shift transmission is excellent and very smooth, Acura does a very good job with reducing torque steer. Very good dashboard layout with excellent quality guages

More bolstering for the front seats and better lower back support

Still getting compliments!
By michaelrt

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have mostly highway miles on my car (90k) and it has yet to fail on me. Got a new transmission at 65k miles, but only because the dealer notices something that I wouldn't have (I'm pretty anal about noises and drive changes). Mine is Blue Pearl and people still compliment me on the car when they see it. And everyone who sits in it loves the all-black design. I'd like if the paint were a little tougher, but it still shines in most light. The original tires were crap (Michelin), but the handling and drive GREATLY improved with Falkens and Yokohamas. The gas mileage has been great. I got 32mpg highway at 75-80mph numerous times. Usually I get 25mpg mixed.

Gas mileage for the power, color (blue), interior, overall reliability, highway acceleration, type S leather hugging seats, stiff suspension

transmission problems, fog lights break too often

Unreliable dressed up Honda
By Hate TL-S

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car for its power and handling - was I in for a let down. I have a vibration from the front end - I use only Michelin Sport A/S - had this issue with OE's too. Well major issue is the transmission. I am on my 3rd. Seems to go out every 30k on me. I have 70k miles on it. Since the last transmission - car does not have the kick / pick-up. Revs like a rocket before I get any good speed. Not sure what they have done since the last transmission repair. I've lost lot of power and handling in this car. Acura TL-S has a known tranmission problem - would stay away from it. All they do is replace it with a remanufactured transmission and hope it last.

Fix the transmission