2002 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Type S
By markvi on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great performing vehichle. Quick, handles beautifully. Only bad point was replacing the transmission at 25k. Flaw in the design of tranny, fortunately under warranty.

Keeps on Going...
By speedie on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is still a thrill to drive three years later. An "E-ticket" ride!

great vehicle
By keithr on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the TL for about a year now. I've owned a Legend and Accord in the past, however, the Tl is the best yet. Smooth horse power, great ride, and complete package:-)

Transmission horror
By dgytoronto on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

First day off the lot and it was back in the shop. Got a new transmission and a computer. Just got the car back last week with another new tranny @ 40000 km. The new one is also giving sloppy gear changes and will shift unusually on hills. I wonder how long this will last for? Dealer was mediocre - missed the problem on several visits. They said that they get kept in the dark about the problem transmissions by Honda. I don't think that they can build them to handle the big horses this car can put out.

Not completely luxury
By AJ Ditzler on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I cannot find a perfect seat position, neither can my wife. When my legs are the right distance from pedals, I'm too close to the steering wheel. Seats are slighly uncomfortable for long trips. Love the interior, thought I loved the exterior, but now seems a little bland. It is a very fun car to drive, but the OEM tires don't come close to matching the cars performance. As for holding its value, am very disappointed in what I see for trade in. New transmission at about 24000 miles, but dealer was excellent. Transmission always has and still feels very weird shifting into drive, very long delay. For the money, should have bought the Honda Accord.

Great overall car
By Chad983 on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Very reliable. No major problems in 2 yrs. Only complaints: paint seems to chip easily with normal road debris, and transmission hesitates from Park to 1st gear. Supreme gas makes a difference in this car. Climate control is great, and seats are very comfortable. I put ~80 miles/day to work, and have had back problems in the past, but not in the TL.

lost it's value
By gary kennedy on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the car for 2 1/2 years and it has 102,000 miles. No problems, not even brake replacement. Mileage is 30 mpg, better than rated. Very quiet,no wind noise, squeaks, or rattles. I was shocked when the dealer offerred me less than $10,000 dollars for trade on a new $35,000 TL.

Acura dream
By catmanrog on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Responsive, exciting, and joy to drive

Huge Miles/Perfect Car
By cadillacman on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I drive over 40,000 miles each year. In the past I have driven large Cadillacs and Lincolns. This TL costs thousands less, has every convenience I used in the other cars, and costs thousands less. And yet, this is the most comfortable car I have ever driven over many miles. Transmission went out at 48,0000, Acura has sent out a recall...Dealer replaced it. Dealer service has been exceptional (Norm Reeves).

DuncanReview
By DuncanAcura on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Problems with front brake rotors Squeaking Tires replaced at 42,000 so not bad. Unfortunately, the original Michelins were poor on wet surfaces Very reliable car, but not as fun as I had hoped. Poor depreciation -- Resale value most certainly not as high -- Acura offered me $16,000 after 2.5 years of owning this $31,500 car. 50% depreciation?