Used 2002 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Denver 2002 TLS
By Denver Guy

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I'm the original owner and have been thoroughly pleased with this car, so much so I'm having a tough time deciding on if to sell and which new car to buy to replace this one. It would be logical to purchase another TL but I don't care for the current body style. MY TLS has been very reliable and economical with only routine maintenance and just a few recalls (tranny). It also still looks great inside and out! Suggestions for Acura: put better tires on the new cars. This car drives so much better after the original tires were replaced.

Favorite Features

Style, controls, engine.

Suggested Improvements

All wheel drive for snow states.

Still Runnin' Fine
By Northwest Guy

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I last posted on 9/22/04 and it's 3 years later. Car styles have changed, but the fundamentals haven't. I do not drive a ton of miles annually, but I do take some long trips, as well as plenty of day-to-day ones. My original review still stands. I did finally put some new tires on the car which, of course, are better than the originals, but other than that, the car has been good to me - without incident or flaws. Recently, Acura extended the warranty on the transmissions to 9+ years, I believe. It gets consistently good mileage - you don't have to use premium all the time, either; it drives well - excellent on cornering; brakes are good and sound/navigation are great!

Favorite Features

Navigation, sunroof, sound system, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

The wide turning radius, better original tires, trunk size, more cush for the tush.

Intelligent design!
By dunlopilo

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The more I drive this the more I appreciate it. A very undervalued, underestimated car. Got it second hand and there is nothing I don't like, except fuel consumption in urban cycle. Powerful engine (feels like there's a turbo) that will have everyone in rear mirror in flash. Car is firm enough but also smooth when driving (you don't spend half of the time between seats and roof in bumpy areas). I've driven Opel, VW, Peugeot, Honda, Citroen, Seat, Volvo, Nissan, Pontiac, Ford. None are a match to my TL. It is full of details without excessive electronics (fewer dealership visits). Tranny fine (for now). Nothing to envy to a Mercedes or BMW or Audi from the same segment. It's that simple.

Favorite Features

Everything in this car is intelligently designed. Comfort, enough details without being a gadget car, 3 glove compartments, door lock and seat memory easy to use and cleverly placed, excellent ac-heat system with vent going directly to back seats, powerful reactive engine, large trunk, halo lights.

Suggested Improvements

I have to keep it under 2000 RPM, or else consumption goes up a lot, but it is a 3.2 engine. On motorway, I can drive it for 400 M. with one full tank (30 mpg) and would be nice to have same perf for urban cycle. Also, that tiptronic thing should be more independent (computer still dictates changes).

Great Car, Bad Transmission
By Steve

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my car for almost two years and purchased it pre-certified. I have never had a problem until a few days ago, when without warning the transmission went out. My car is now waiting to be repaired at the dealer. Other then this major setback, the car has been outstanding, and I love it.

Favorite Features

Stereo, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, gas mileage.

Nice car
By adam

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very nice car. It is very reliable and has never broken down on me. If I were to buy another car I would have to go with the same car, because it is very fun to drive (goes when you press the gas).

Favorite Features

The POWER, great ride, exterior looks, bose sound system, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage (avg 17.7 mpg city), transmission issues, bigger tires, size.