2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Transmission horror
By dgytoronto on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

First day off the lot and it was back in the shop. Got a new transmission and a computer. Just got the car back last week with another new tranny @ 40000 km. The new one is also giving sloppy gear changes and will shift unusually on hills. I wonder how long this will last for? Dealer was mediocre - missed the problem on several visits. They said that they get kept in the dark about the problem transmissions by Honda. I don't think that they can build them to handle the big horses this car can put out.

Acura dream
By catmanrog on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Responsive, exciting, and joy to drive

DuncanReview
By DuncanAcura on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Problems with front brake rotors Squeaking Tires replaced at 42,000 so not bad. Unfortunately, the original Michelins were poor on wet surfaces Very reliable car, but not as fun as I had hoped. Poor depreciation -- Resale value most certainly not as high -- Acura offered me $16,000 after 2.5 years of owning this $31,500 car. 50% depreciation?

transmission problem
By steve bar on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

In my case the transmission died every 20,000 miles, the dealler has the car now they are changing the transmission the second time. There are lots of posting on the net about this, somehow consumer report and yourself ignor it. I wonder why???

I love this car!
By Barry Landau on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Wifes car (but she can't keep me out of it). 37,000 miles and no major problems. We actually look forward to raod trips in this car. Still worry about transmission stories, but go to the NHTSA website and you will see this is still only about 3% of the total. If it was an "American Product" that would probably be considered par for the course. I would buy another Acura, absolutely!

Great Car!
By jimhild on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

38,000 miles in 2 years, no repairs, only maintenance items. No downtime of any kind.

Acura TL-S
By L pelletier on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned a multitude of cars. This is the best vehicle I have owned in 40 years.

Fast pass
By Greenmachine on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Acura TL S is the best buy for the money out there. It combines speed, comfort, quality and reliability at a very reasonable price. You do not pay for the car twice as you might with German or American cars. It could shed some weight to sharpen the handling even more and please add another hook for clothes Acura. Lose the wood trim inside for a titanium look or charge a few more dollars and make it real wood. This is a car that is ready when you are and nothing seems to ever go wrong with it.

An Excellent Value
By RMcMasters on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove the Audi 1.8T and Audi S4, BMW 3 series, Nissan Maxima, Infinity, Lexus ES and IS 400, and a few other models. Not until I test drove the Acura 3.2TL did I realize it was such a terrific car. It was superior in handling, ride comfort, power (only the 5-speed Audi S4 model felt quicker and more powerful- -even the higher horsepower Nissan did have the sense of modest power of the Acura) and all-around quality. Of note, the stock Bose stereo is of superior quality and the cabin of excellent acoutics, relative to the above mentioned models. I recommend this vehicle without reservation.

My Last Acura
By Jeff C. on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have now owned two TL's - 1999 and 2002. 1999 had share of problems. This 2002 has been a constant problem. If I didn't know better, I would think I have a 1980 jaguar. The rotors constantly warp - replace 3 times and turned twice. Transmission replaced once. CDR's with labels will get stuck in CD-player. Navigation screen replaced once. And the best part of this horrible car - The dealerships take at least 3 to 5 times to get anything fixed. I will be in a German car for 2004.