Used 2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Still Runnin' Fine
By Northwest Guy

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I last posted on 9/22/04 and it's 3 years later. Car styles have changed, but the fundamentals haven't. I do not drive a ton of miles annually, but I do take some long trips, as well as plenty of day-to-day ones. My original review still stands. I did finally put some new tires on the car which, of course, are better than the originals, but other than that, the car has been good to me - without incident or flaws. Recently, Acura extended the warranty on the transmissions to 9+ years, I believe. It gets consistently good mileage - you don't have to use premium all the time, either; it drives well - excellent on cornering; brakes are good and sound/navigation are great!

Favorite Features

Navigation, sunroof, sound system, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

The wide turning radius, better original tires, trunk size, more cush for the tush.

Great Car, Bad Transmission
By Steve

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my car for almost two years and purchased it pre-certified. I have never had a problem until a few days ago, when without warning the transmission went out. My car is now waiting to be repaired at the dealer. Other then this major setback, the car has been outstanding, and I love it.

Favorite Features

Stereo, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, gas mileage.

Nice car
By adam

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very nice car. It is very reliable and has never broken down on me. If I were to buy another car I would have to go with the same car, because it is very fun to drive (goes when you press the gas).

Favorite Features

The POWER, great ride, exterior looks, bose sound system, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage (avg 17.7 mpg city), transmission issues, bigger tires, size.

Running the tranny
By Nancy

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving my acura. I step on the gas and it feels like someone tapped the back of the car as it takes off smoothly and very quickly. I have had the car 5 yrs and many highway miles. Very comfortable, best car I have had. Feel safe and quick in traffic. Mechanically it has been not so fun. Lots of transmission problems. I have had to replace the tranny several times, Acura took care of the expense. Had difficulty with brakes wearing quickly, but think I found better pads now. Car has plenty of room, yet not too big. I love the Aegean blue, lots of compliments.

Favorite Features

It is a very quick car and comfortable ride. The Aegean Blue color is very nice, lots of compliments. The stereo system is great as well. It looks sharp from any angle.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the brakes and the transmission problems.

So Far, So Good
By Mdblimited

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my TL with 38k pre-certified from a dealership. It has been reliable, comfortable, and economical, plus good performance. The original Michelin tires are junk (bought Bridgestone Turanzas) and the foglights are an invitation for rocks. My vehicle is black and has a little chipping on the roof that the dealership alledges is from sap. There are no other paint defects. The transmission has been fine, but it does shift with force into second gear when driving slowly. I don't know if this is because the car has so much torque or a tranny problem. Either way, it is covered to 100k... and it will be traded in before then. The seats could be deeper. But it is fast and reliable.

Favorite Features

Mileage (30+ hwy), Performance, Reliability, Interior Refinement, Sharp Exterior

Suggested Improvements

Deeper Bucket Seats, Illuminated Buttons on Steering Wheel, Wider Tires (should have 225s instead of 215s)