2002 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Denver 2002 TLS
By Denver Guy on 10/08/07 09:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I'm the original owner and have been thoroughly pleased with this car, so much so I'm having a tough time deciding on if to sell and which new car to buy to replace this one. It would be logical to purchase another TL but I don't care for the current body style. MY TLS has been very reliable and economical with only routine maintenance and just a few recalls (tranny). It also still looks great inside and out! Suggestions for Acura: put better tires on the new cars. This car drives so much better after the original tires were replaced.

Still Runnin' Fine
By Northwest Guy on 06/11/07 14:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I last posted on 9/22/04 and it's 3 years later. Car styles have changed, but the fundamentals haven't. I do not drive a ton of miles annually, but I do take some long trips, as well as plenty of day-to-day ones. My original review still stands. I did finally put some new tires on the car which, of course, are better than the originals, but other than that, the car has been good to me - without incident or flaws. Recently, Acura extended the warranty on the transmissions to 9+ years, I believe. It gets consistently good mileage - you don't have to use premium all the time, either; it drives well - excellent on cornering; brakes are good and sound/navigation are great!

Intelligent design!
By dunlopilo on 03/17/07 09:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The more I drive this the more I appreciate it. A very undervalued, underestimated car. Got it second hand and there is nothing I don't like, except fuel consumption in urban cycle. Powerful engine (feels like there's a turbo) that will have everyone in rear mirror in flash. Car is firm enough but also smooth when driving (you don't spend half of the time between seats and roof in bumpy areas). I've driven Opel, VW, Peugeot, Honda, Citroen, Seat, Volvo, Nissan, Pontiac, Ford. None are a match to my TL. It is full of details without excessive electronics (fewer dealership visits). Tranny fine (for now). Nothing to envy to a Mercedes or BMW or Audi from the same segment. It's that simple.

Great Car, Bad Transmission
By Steve on 02/16/07 19:43 PM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my car for almost two years and purchased it pre-certified. I have never had a problem until a few days ago, when without warning the transmission went out. My car is now waiting to be repaired at the dealer. Other then this major setback, the car has been outstanding, and I love it.

Nice car
By adam on 12/14/06 17:08 PM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very nice car. It is very reliable and has never broken down on me. If I were to buy another car I would have to go with the same car, because it is very fun to drive (goes when you press the gas).

Running the tranny
By Nancy on 09/16/06 14:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving my acura. I step on the gas and it feels like someone tapped the back of the car as it takes off smoothly and very quickly. I have had the car 5 yrs and many highway miles. Very comfortable, best car I have had. Feel safe and quick in traffic. Mechanically it has been not so fun. Lots of transmission problems. I have had to replace the tranny several times, Acura took care of the expense. Had difficulty with brakes wearing quickly, but think I found better pads now. Car has plenty of room, yet not too big. I love the Aegean blue, lots of compliments.

Nice car to own
By tst32tl on 09/15/06 08:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Own this car for 5 years and it never had any major problems (except the transmission recall, and they automatically provide extended warranty to 100,000 mi no charge). Very comfortable and nice. Probably will buy the same car when ready to get my next car.

So Far, So Good
By Mdblimited on 05/08/06 07:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my TL with 38k pre-certified from a dealership. It has been reliable, comfortable, and economical, plus good performance. The original Michelin tires are junk (bought Bridgestone Turanzas) and the foglights are an invitation for rocks. My vehicle is black and has a little chipping on the roof that the dealership alledges is from sap. There are no other paint defects. The transmission has been fine, but it does shift with force into second gear when driving slowly. I don't know if this is because the car has so much torque or a tranny problem. Either way, it is covered to 100k... and it will be traded in before then. The seats could be deeper. But it is fast and reliable.

Love my TL-S
By snowman81 on 04/27/06 16:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Tranny problems exist in some CL/TL/MDX but Acura has provided an extension on the warranty to 7yr/100,000 miles. Other than that the car is wonderful. I've added a few things for my preference to get a little more juice out of the engine and changed the suspension, however, stock the car does extremely well. A great combo of sport and luxury with the Type S.

Nothing but a Honda for me!
By Honda Lover on 01/26/06 21:55 PM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2002 Acura TL-type S used with 37,000 miles; I believed it was a leased vehicle before I purchased it. This is my 2nd Acura purchase; my first was a 1990 Acura Legend LS that had 186k miles on it when I sold it. I have been nothing but happy with the purchase of my TL. And, I know that I am not going to get ripped off by the dealer when I take it there for service.