Used 2002 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Fun car to own and drive
By Dave

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our car is primarly driven by my wife. She loves it - in fact this is the first car we've owned that she truly loves. She always found fault with any of the other cars we've owned in 45 years of marriage. I rarely drive it except for long trips. It is a remarkable vehicle to drive on the highway.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, essentially maintenance free.

Suggested Improvements

I would strengthen the brake system. Discs are only good for 30-35,000 miles

Intelligent design!
By dunlopilo

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The more I drive this the more I appreciate it. A very undervalued, underestimated car. Got it second hand and there is nothing I don't like, except fuel consumption in urban cycle. Powerful engine (feels like there's a turbo) that will have everyone in rear mirror in flash. Car is firm enough but also smooth when driving (you don't spend half of the time between seats and roof in bumpy areas). I've driven Opel, VW, Peugeot, Honda, Citroen, Seat, Volvo, Nissan, Pontiac, Ford. None are a match to my TL. It is full of details without excessive electronics (fewer dealership visits). Tranny fine (for now). Nothing to envy to a Mercedes or BMW or Audi from the same segment. It's that simple.

Favorite Features

Everything in this car is intelligently designed. Comfort, enough details without being a gadget car, 3 glove compartments, door lock and seat memory easy to use and cleverly placed, excellent ac-heat system with vent going directly to back seats, powerful reactive engine, large trunk, halo lights.

Suggested Improvements

I have to keep it under 2000 RPM, or else consumption goes up a lot, but it is a 3.2 engine. On motorway, I can drive it for 400 M. with one full tank (30 mpg) and would be nice to have same perf for urban cycle. Also, that tiptronic thing should be more independent (computer still dictates changes).

Nice car to own
By tst32tl

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Own this car for 5 years and it never had any major problems (except the transmission recall, and they automatically provide extended warranty to 100,000 mi no charge). Very comfortable and nice. Probably will buy the same car when ready to get my next car.

Great Car - Watch the Tranny
By KMaude

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for about a year now (85,000 miles) and it's been one of the best cars I've owned (over 12 others). I recently felt a little hesitation in the tranny and took it to the dealer for service. Thank god it's still under the factory tranny warranty (7 yrs/100k). The trans needs replacing and thanks to the warranty I'll be getting it for free! Another positive is my dealer loaner is a 2006 3.2 TL with 800 miles on it ... what a great car! I will strongly consider another Acura when purchasing a new car next year.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel mounted radio controls, seat warmers, fuel economy, relatively maintainence free

Suggested Improvements

better cupholders, better quality transmission

Excellent performance, reliability & style
By Carlos Valentin

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car has always the one of my dreams for long years. I had owned it for about 3 months now, completely certified & everybody thinks it's brand new. It's an excellent car, excellent performance and incredible features with top of the line technology. It's everything anybody could want in a near-luxury car. On the highway, it just glides... driving it's just a pleasurable experience by itself. The Bose 6 disc in-dash system just blows my mind with is beautiful sound quality. I feel so safe because its drivebility is amazing. Leather heated seats, automatic sun-roof, and the anti-theft system... everybody that has been in it has fallen in love with it and I couldn't be more satisfied.