Used 2002 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Not worth the money
By Maggie

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Not only will I never buy another acura again, but I will warn everyone I know to never buy one. Transmission went out a thousand miles over our purchased "extended warranty". Acura should be ashamed that a 1994 Geo Prism has outlasted my way overpriced Acura. $3,000.00 later, transmission still not working, and the car is only worth 5,000!!!! Run, run away from Acura products!!!!!

Roomy for a sedan, nice get-up and go when it works. Love the seat warmers. Like the looks.

CD player is crap. Stopped working at about 80,000. Transmission the same. Repairs costly and even then still not fixed. Clock could use a light.

Good family car
By killerisme

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our first Acura has been a long distance trooper for the family, and despite three transmissions, overall reliability has been outstanding. Only one of the transmissions actually failed, and it gave plenty of warning. Harper Acura in Knoxville, TN has been great in helping take care of maintenance and the trans issues. 140k miles and it is still a nicer ride than new Accords and Camrys.

Interior build quality and styling are top notch. Features are only now starting to feel dated, nine years later. Great balance between sporting/touring, and engine is smooth and strong.

Yes, transmission is a known issue, and it should be factored into ownership costs plans. Brakes are typical Honda (weak), but aftermarket rotors and pads up front helped.

Nice car, terrible transmission
By Ralow

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

All the transmission issues you hear about the TL's are very real. I bought mine as a 1 owner trade with 109K. I did all the research and found that the transmission had the recall done and it was serviced at the local Acura dealer. So I went ahead and bought it thinking it might be OK. WRONG. Had to replace the transmission 3 weeks after I bought it & Acura wasn't willing to help out AT ALL even though it was only a few miles over the recall warranty. Needless to say, I ended up paying $4000 extra for a new tranny. The replacement is under warranty for 3 yrs/36,000 but I will likely never buy another used Acura again. Too much hassle and no reliability. Acura's reputation is tarnished IMO.

Type S engine, excellent handling for stock rims, Bose stereo system, interior room. Overall, a pretty good car if not for the terrible transmission and other minor things that add up.

This an old model so all the crappy transmission issues have been fixed by now. The build/frame of this model seems to have some issues as well since I hear random rattles and other noises when on the highway. There are also issues with the display on the stereo.

Bad transmission
By cp

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this acura from a private ownership @ 47,000. It performed beautifully until the transmission went on @ 116,000. I had it serviced at 104,000 and nothing was wrong with it. I have learned that a rebuilt one from the acura dealership would cost $4900. Hello, anyone in there! I paid over $14,000 and still owe $8800. This is truly a LEMON of the technology aged vehicles.I have been told I can build a case with acura that is so far a joke because they told me that I will not get enough credit because I take it to another service provider for the car serviced. If I took it to an acura dealership, I could receive more credit for a new rebuilt transmission. Discrimination?

True to Honda
By Eric

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car brand new and have over 105K miles on it. I did have the transmission replaced once (2007/98K miles), but it was under warranty and 3 years later still no issues. It's a great car, fun to drive and a great value to feature ratio. Very reliable and cost of ownership has been low for me. Overall the car has been a pleasure to own, which is good, since I plan on keeping it another 8 years.

Performance, handling, ride quality, interior comfort, gas mileage, looks, reliability, ease of doing maintenance.

Make it easier to upgrade the technology in the car to add, ipods, bluetooth, etc.