Used 2002 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Don't buy a '02...buy an '03
By TL - Tranny

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The Acura TL Type-S is a great sport sedan. Acura has had a hard time with the '02 transmissions. Its a specific range of VIN numbers and if your car falls with in...there is an expected chance of problems with your vehicle. Mine is one of them. Not only do I have one of these cars but 2 and they both exhibit the same qualities. To make the story short, I'm on my 4th trasmission and its due for the next. You come to recognize the signs! The talk I have heard from my countless visits to my dealer is the '03 have had no problems. I will say the car has never left me stranded, but I have had to push it out of parking spots because of no "Reverse."

Great Ride
By snarisetty

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Overall performance and build quality is great. Had to replace tranny @52K. Acura service was great, and replaced the tranny under warranty.

Favorite Features

6 Disc CD, Power, Sound System, Xenon lights and comforts.

Suggested Improvements

Have some problems with paint chipping off. Better paint job, and better tranny.

What a grate car.
By Getovait2005

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

this is a grate car, nice looks, Grate Power, A nice Bose sound system nice outside lights . Some things could be better like a little more room, bigger trunk.

Favorite Features

i love the 6 Cd changer the Sound system in all, the Sunroof, the colors of the Acura.

Suggested Improvements

more room.

Fun Sedan
By vineviz

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love the TL-S. Quality is bulletproof, and the car is quite fun to drive: it handles very well, accelerates smartly, and is very comfortable on my commute. There is plenty of space in the back for two child safety seats, and the front seats are comfortable and well- bolstered.

Favorite Features

Sport-shift transmission, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better audio system.

Keep On Runnin
By Northwest Guy

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have had vehicle for under two years with 18k mi. I've read reviews about transmission issues, cheap interior, tires, as well as those who love to drive. Traded in a 93 Taurus SHO with a 24 valve Yamaha engine - Type S can't produce that power. The low center of gravity makes it handle exceptionally well on hard curves and turns (much better than the bloaty feeling in a Taurus). Once moving on water-slickened roads here in the NW, I haven't had ANY problems. Interior issues for some don't bother me - it's cleanly designed. Agree that transmission isn't perfect when running in auto mode v. tiptronic on the fly; sliding cover under sun roof rattles.

Favorite Features

Bose sound system; navigation; tiptronic transmission; heated seats; sunroof;windows field of vision

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine - covered in new 2004 TS; more cush for the tush; power lumbar supports; back heating in seats