2002 Acura TL Consumer Reviews 12

2002 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Acura 3.2 TL - love it!
By jimbo2 on 12/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've never had a car that only required oil changes for maintenance for the first two years! In addition to the reliability, I love the feature set, it's comfortable to drive, and has the power available when I need it. I look forward to going to work or the store because I get to drive my TL!

Good value for the buck
By SKARPGOLF on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have had for about 4 weeks no complaints nav system excellent. I do not understand what some folks think nav should do. It gets you alot closer than if you had to guess where to go. Would like to see DVD updates on regular basis. Fun to drive extremely quiet and responsive handling. Bose system has exceptional sound, Six cd in dash a real plus. Would like to see automatic headlight system and possibly some driver info system. Having the nav plus on star a big selling feature for this driver.

Transmission Problems at 56K
By nldud on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my car until transmission troubles! Car hesitates to shift when you first accelerate and then when it does shift, it's a really hard jerking motion. Acura dealership replaced the A and B shift solinoid but problem is not resolved. It's a good thing I bought the extended warranty! Everyone kept telling me Acura will last for 300K but I'm not going to find out. My 94 Nissan Sentra was still running smooth at 160K when I sold it to buy the ACURA. I took excellent care of the vehice had all the oil recommended oil changes and routine service schedule maintenance.

Tranny problems knock it out for 2 weeks
By masterjps on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

While I love my type S, Acura has a known issue with a bearing in the transmission that wears out far too fast and leaves the car stranded. I encountered this problem during a 1200 mile road trip. Fortunately, I was only 40 miles away from an Acura dealership. While they gave me a decent rental car, I miss my Acura. Not only that, now I have to go pick it up 600 miles from home. I love the car, and hopefully, this is the only issue I'll have. When buying or leasing, make sure your Acura does not have the faulty transmission bearing installed, or get it replaced immediately.

Safety, Reliabity, Comfort, Fun
By Duke Fans on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We've had no problems. We love it! My wife drives all over the state and it has performed great.

Glorified Honda Accord
By disappointed_guy on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I found that it was a glorified 6 cylinder Accord with a little bit better tuned engine. I was relatively pleased with the engine and the performance but thoroughly disappointed by the rampant reuse of Honda Accord parts and peices all over the car. I was disappointed by some vibration related noises that I started hearing after a few months. The seats and the seat belts are also very noisy in the front. The navigation system is very good. The stereo is very very ordinary, no base and very poor amplification. The price was good. The exterior looks good only with a spoiler, else it is a bit rounded from the back.

Great after almost 2 years
By clarifypso on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Upgraded from Infiniti G20 after 125000 miles. First Acura, although I have had 2 other Hondas, a Mazda, a Toyota and a Porsche. This car is fun to drive. No problems other than the warranty recall for the windshield fluid tubes clouding up the windshield. Dealer fixed it right first time. Very easy on the back and good in cold weather here in Colorado.

Soo Money
By lookin4money on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

For the money, I think this is hands down the best deal on the road at any price! The car corners great! Is amazing on the highway. You can get into any slot you want in rush-hour traffic with its acceloration and braking. Maybe the only complaint is that the acceleration seems more responsive in Auto than in Sport shift mode (were it is a little slow to shift). I love the sound system!!! Anyone who wishes for more base isn't really a music lover anyway. You can have the base as loud as it gets, feel it, and yet still hear the music as you should. WHAT A BUY!

Is Acura having quality problems?
By not-as-happy on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Honda/Acura is the only car I've ever driven - but I'm starting to wonder what's going on over there. My TL rattled more than any other car I've ever DRIVEN, much less owned. The dashboard and console squeaked and rattled like crazy. I have it on pretty good authority that Acura "knows about the problem and it can be fixed." It was otherwise a tremendous automobile. but the ride was a little too rough for my taste so I took it back for an MDX - Best car I've ever driven but after 2 months IT squeaks a little. WHAT'S GOING ON OVER THERE?- YOU GUYS GET YOU QUALITY- CONTROL ACT TOGETHER!

Happy Owner
By SLM206 on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned this car for a year and 1/2 and the only, picky thing I would change about it is the cup holders. It is a joy to drive, has the pick-up I need for merging onto busy freeways, and the ride is smooootttthhh. Everyone who rides in this car loves it. And the price makes it even better.