2002 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Love my car but not the transmission
By Ralph on 05/12/10 14:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car "pre-owned" off a lease, 3 yrs old, 30k miles. I have loved this car. Transmission went out at 104K miles and 7 yr, 9 mos from date of purchase. Transmission was replaced, just under the mandated extended warranty, but told new transmission has no warranty. What? I've had two problems with windshield wipers. Other than that, it is a great car. My dealership has been great to me (Atl)

Acura is just average
By Gerhard on 12/13/09 10:53 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Acura based on consumer reports reliability and performance recommendations. However, my Acura did not live up to my expectations. I spent the extra money on Acura over domestic products and other foreign brands because I thought I was getting top quality. Instead I got many headaches. For the record, I still like the design and I like the performance. However, I did not like the fact that I have had to have my transmission changed 2 times. I am on my third trans and now I have to purchase a new timing belt that is supposed to cost over $1000. And that is only at 7100. Needless to say I would not recommend this model, nor would I endorse this brand any more.

Don't want to trade it in!
By sm on 04/20/09 15:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2002 Acura TL certified pre-owned in 2004 and it's going on 5 years now. It still looks new inside and out. I was thinking about upgrading to the new Acura but was very disappointed in the look of the new models. Tacky interior trim and bulky looking exterior. My blue 02 is SO much better looking. I guess I'll be keeping it for a while. Zero issues with maintenance, no transmission problems.

A great car that improves with age
By BMW Enthusiast on 07/17/08 08:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have had the 2002 Acura now for 6 years and the darned thing looks and performs exactly as if it had just pulled out of the dealership. It has always been a surprisingly nimble car, great handling, nice acceleration when you need it; but what's most remarkable is how well it has aged. Still feels like new. Never a single mechanical issue. Rock solid quality. I originally got it for the value and it has more than delivered. It's made me an Acura fan.

Great Sporty Sedan
By JS on 06/06/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I picked up my 02 TL in Florida and drove it up to Minnesota about 64,000 miles ago. I now have 112,000 miles on it and it still drives just as nice. I just put in a timing belt, brakes, rotors, crossover cooling line. Acura gave me a 100,000 mi. warranty on the transmission since there were issues with a select few. The only thing I notice is that there sometimes is some hesitation when shifting into D5. You have to wait 1-2 seconds before applying the gas. Great fuel mileage. 26-28 city / 28-31 hwy. Record trip was made with a 34 mpg tank.

Fun car to own and drive
By Dave on 03/25/08 08:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our car is primarly driven by my wife. She loves it - in fact this is the first car we've owned that she truly loves. She always found fault with any of the other cars we've owned in 45 years of marriage. I rarely drive it except for long trips. It is a remarkable vehicle to drive on the highway.

Intelligent design!
By dunlopilo on 03/17/07 09:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The more I drive this the more I appreciate it. A very undervalued, underestimated car. Got it second hand and there is nothing I don't like, except fuel consumption in urban cycle. Powerful engine (feels like there's a turbo) that will have everyone in rear mirror in flash. Car is firm enough but also smooth when driving (you don't spend half of the time between seats and roof in bumpy areas). I've driven Opel, VW, Peugeot, Honda, Citroen, Seat, Volvo, Nissan, Pontiac, Ford. None are a match to my TL. It is full of details without excessive electronics (fewer dealership visits). Tranny fine (for now). Nothing to envy to a Mercedes or BMW or Audi from the same segment. It's that simple.

Nice car to own
By tst32tl on 09/15/06 08:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Own this car for 5 years and it never had any major problems (except the transmission recall, and they automatically provide extended warranty to 100,000 mi no charge). Very comfortable and nice. Probably will buy the same car when ready to get my next car.

Great Car - Watch the Tranny
By KMaude on 12/08/05 23:35 PM (PST)

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for about a year now (85,000 miles) and it's been one of the best cars I've owned (over 12 others). I recently felt a little hesitation in the tranny and took it to the dealer for service. Thank god it's still under the factory tranny warranty (7 yrs/100k). The trans needs replacing and thanks to the warranty I'll be getting it for free! Another positive is my dealer loaner is a 2006 3.2 TL with 800 miles on it ... what a great car! I will strongly consider another Acura when purchasing a new car next year.

Excellent performance, reliability & style
By Carlos Valentin on 08/18/05 02:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car has always the one of my dreams for long years. I had owned it for about 3 months now, completely certified & everybody thinks it's brand new. It's an excellent car, excellent performance and incredible features with top of the line technology. It's everything anybody could want in a near-luxury car. On the highway, it just glides... driving it's just a pleasurable experience by itself. The Bose 6 disc in-dash system just blows my mind with is beautiful sound quality. I feel so safe because its drivebility is amazing. Leather heated seats, automatic sun-roof, and the anti-theft system... everybody that has been in it has fallen in love with it and I couldn't be more satisfied.

1 2 3 4 5 next »