Used 2002 Acura TL 3.2 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Great Car if you like 65,000 mile transmissions
By P. Gerald

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Just don't buy one unless you like buying a transmission from Honda for $2500 every 65, 000 miles. No kidding. Honda set up a plant and sell you one for $2500 when the transmission goes out every 65,000 miles instead of fixing the design problems. Otherwise it's a great driver's car.

I want a new Acura TL just like my 2002
By DGF

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I've ever had. It never left me stranded. I've had it for 12 yrs.

Great car-bad trans.
By Jeff

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Factor 2,500 into the cost of a major transmission rebuild at an independent shop if the car is past the warranty (5,000 at the dealer). It's a matter of when not if this will be needed. My original transmission failed at 30,000 (covered by warranty at no cost) and the replacement failed after 73,000 and American Honda would not help with the cost at all. Hope their new cars are better, I'm not going to take the chance. Time to try another manufacturer.

Love my car but not the transmission
By Ralph

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car "pre-owned" off a lease, 3 yrs old, 30k miles. I have loved this car. Transmission went out at 104K miles and 7 yr, 9 mos from date of purchase. Transmission was replaced, just under the mandated extended warranty, but told new transmission has no warranty. What? I've had two problems with windshield wipers. Other than that, it is a great car. My dealership has been great to me (Atl)

Everything. Rides comfortably, great stereo, great seats, great controls.

Transmission issues.

Acura is just average
By Gerhard

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Acura based on consumer reports reliability and performance recommendations. However, my Acura did not live up to my expectations. I spent the extra money on Acura over domestic products and other foreign brands because I thought I was getting top quality. Instead I got many headaches. For the record, I still like the design and I like the performance. However, I did not like the fact that I have had to have my transmission changed 2 times. I am on my third trans and now I have to purchase a new timing belt that is supposed to cost over $1000. And that is only at 7100. Needless to say I would not recommend this model, nor would I endorse this brand any more.